Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Wicklow Mts 4 novice

• 23-06-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭

Am considering doing the wicklow 100 next year (the 200 seems a bit daunting for a novice) and would like to head down this summer and try work my way up on the climbs. Is there any where in particular to park down there and any particular hills to try out and climb. Im looking for somthing a little more challenging then howth hill and a route of about 2 hours to start out with

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You've 12 months! Aim for the 200klm. if your already doing 2 hour spins, which include Howth, your well on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

2hrs.
    From Rathfarnham.
    Stocking Lane or Cruagh to Kilakee. Descend to Glencree crossroads.
    Choice take either of the sharp left turns for Enniskerry and back to Dublin via stepaside.
    Or continue straight (road veers right) and onto the base of Kippure TV mast. To get home retrace your steps.
    About 50km ish. Do that a few times and you will be well able for the 200 next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cjodea

I'd echo 07Lapierre's reply. I did the W200 this year for the first time and really enjoyed it. It was definitely a challenge but with enough miles under the wheels it gets less daunting. With 12 months you've got more than enough to get ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Yeah seriously, it may seem intimidating but it's really not all that bad. I only started cycling properly (ie not just commuting) last Jan, up til May I was convinced I was doing the WW100, but I got around the 200 in a decent enough time. Then this year, with 6 months proper preparation I took nearly an hour and a half off my time from last year - with 12 months to prepare you'll fly around the 200 no problem.

For hills, Stocking Lane is a good climb just out of Dublin. Cruagh is right beside it, and joins it for the last stretch. If you want something steeper, 3 Rock is a nice climb which hurts a lot :) There's loads more further south but these 3 are good and close to the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Same as posted above. Aim high and go for the 200k...12 months is loads and will allow you to start upping the distance weekly on flat roads to begin with and then start to build hills into your routes.

If you train on your own or in a small group, you'll find it much easier on the day when you're drafting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement