Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Re: charging leisure batteries

• 23-06-2010 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

My camper didn't have a leisure battery so I decided to fit one.
    To simplify charging I bought a 12 volt trickle charge flat solar panel from Maplins U.K., bolted it to the roof and fed the lead through the roof light. Panel only needs daylight to operate (not sunlight), comes with various interchangeable (plug-in) connectors and works extremely well.
    Cost ? delivered from Maplins U.K. 68 euro. Maplins in Galway want 63 euro for the same but you have to collect !!.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Thinking of doing the same to charge the battery when it’s parked up during the week, mainly because running the fridge while driving is robbing power from the alternator which would be charging the battery. Was going to get a 12W panel from maplin, if it’s 50% efficient then (6W x 10hours x 7) / 12 = 35 AH so given I go way every two weeks or so the battery should be well charged it’s 70AH. Am I mad?

What panel did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Thinking of doing the same to charge the battery when it’s parked up during the week, mainly because running the fridge while driving is robbing power from the alternator which would be charging the battery. Was going to get a 12W panel from maplin, if it’s 50% efficient then (6W x 10hours x 7) / 12 = 35 AH so given I go way every two weeks or so the battery should be well charged it’s 70AH. Am I mad?

What panel did you get?

The Maplin code is: N31CX.
    The model number on the instruction/information leaflet is: TPS-102-12.

Leaflet tells me (and I quote):
    12v panel generates 15 watts per hour is equal to 1 amp of power.
    In a typical week panel will generate 735 watts (49 amps) = 15 watts x 7hours/day x 7 days/week.
    Battery charging capability: 735 watts will provide approx. 49 amps into a 12v battery over a 7 day period.

Now you know as much as I do. I don't profess to understand it all but I know that it appears to work. Took the cover off the battery the other day and could see that was charging by the bubbles.

Maplin web site is a bit of a s.o.b. when you search for solar panels but you'll find it eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

My camper didn't have a leisure battery so I decided to fit one.
    To simplify charging I bought a 12 volt trickle charge flat solar panel from Maplins U.K., bolted it to the roof and fed the lead through the roof light. Panel only needs daylight to operate (not sunlight), comes with various interchangeable (plug-in) connectors and works extremely well.
    Cost ? delivered from Maplins U.K. 68 euro. Maplins in Galway want 63 euro for the same but you have to collect !!.

Thanks for the heads up, might get one of these...

Is the solar panel your only source of charging the battery??

stevire wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up, might get one of these...

Is the solar panel your only source of charging the battery??

Yes, panel only. With just myself using the camper didn't see the point of spending money getting the battery wired-in in the conventional way as this panel should easily supply all my needs. Also, in my case, having the battery inside, in a storage compartment, it means that as well as having wired a lighter socket to it, I have easy access in order to clip anything on to it without re-wiring as such.

Might be worth you while adding a split charge relay to charge the batter off the altonator when engine is running but won't flatten the starter battery.

Called Maplin in Dublin and they have 6 at 59.99 might get one or even two and a charge controller.

Your bubling battery doesn't sound go good make sure it doesn't go dry.

• Advertisement

Might be worth you while adding a split charge relay to charge the batter off the altonator when engine is running but won't flatten the starter battery.

Called Maplin in Dublin and they have 6 at 59.99 might get one or even two and a charge controller.

Your bubling battery doesn't sound go good make sure it doesn't go dry.

To connect to tha alternator would mean drilling up through the floor, why would I want to do that ?
    The reason I bought from the U.K. was that it was cheaper than driving to collect and Galway maplins told me no delivery.
    When I said "bubbles" perhaps I should have been more specific, There was just the odd bubble, just enough to show me that the battery was charging, also note that this was during the heat wave a few days ag with the sun beating down.

Forgot to ask Spacehopper.

Why would I want to charge from the alternator when the engine is running ? the panel charges as long as there is daylight and on the shortest days of the year it's too cold, wet and miserable to use the camper !!.icon10.gif

It’s a coach built camper and that’s how it came. There is a relay so that when the engine is running it charges the battery but I can also run the fridge off the alternator/engine as well. I’ve been told when battery is low the alternator won’t fully charge it anyway? Also by running the fridge there is less current available for charging the battery. By adding a panel and charge controller I should be able to fully charge the battery over time, making life easier for the alternator and I should be able to run the fridge at the same time.

I’ve noticed the Zig unit show low battery if I have to mush on, say a few light and the water pump?

Use the camper all year for surfing even in January, joys of good heating

It’s a coach built camper and that’s how it came. There is a relay so that when the engine is running it charges the battery but I can also run the fridge off the alternator/engine as well. I’ve been told when battery is low the alternator won’t fully charge it anyway? Also by running the fridge there is less current available for charging the battery. By adding a panel and charge controller I should be able to fully charge the battery over time, making life easier for the alternator and I should be able to run the fridge at the same time.

I’ve noticed the Zig unit shop low battery if I have to mush on, say a few light and the water pump

Use the camper all year for surfing even in January, joys of good heating

Small 2 berth Romahomecampers were never fitted with a leisure battery.
    I have used it in the winter and it's quite comfortable but not the best time of the year for sighseeing.
    Surfing in the winter? at my age I can't even ride a Space Hopper in the summer!.icon10.gif

Advertisement