Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy will not train!!

Options
  • 23-06-2010 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi, we have a 6 month old puppy that the kids adore. However, we cannot get her to do her business outside, she will actually cross her legs and wait to get back in the house even if we are out for the day!!
    We also have another older dog - who trained easily (lots of praise and anticipation of when she would want to go) - any tips on what we could be doing wrong with the latest critter? It is both wee and poo that she insists on doing inside :(

Iz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have you actually trained her to go outside?
    She needs to know that outisde is where to go and she gets lots of rewards and praise when she does.
    I would go back to basics with her. Bring her out after every meal, sleep. play session etc.

Also i would advise crate training as this will def help your situation in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 izzydumpling

Thanks - will go back to the crate.... my younger siblings unfortunately think this is cruel and keep letting her out.
    We bring her out after each meal and in the morning - she will actually hold on until she gets back in. Our older alsation also goes outside no probs, and gets quite irritated by the pup peeing inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Do you actually go out with her and encourage her to go outside? She has learned to go inside so she needs to be taught to go outside which will take a while.
    Crate training will benefit her hugely as she wont want to go in her bed/sleeping area.
    When you bring her outside, dont interact much, just give a command for going to the toilet and dont play or anything with her and if it means staying out for 20 mins or more, then this is what you have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Was she trained to go on paper inside? I've heard that this can cause problems with getting them to go outside. If so maybe move the paper to beside the back door, then outside the back door, then a smaller bit of paper an so on until she's going outside.

Advertisement