Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadbury - less product, same money

Options
  • 23-06-2010 11:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Cadbury have reduced their 5 pack bars to 4 pack but the price remains the same. This follows the reduction of their large chocolate bars from 250g to 230g in 2008 with the price remaining the same.

Obviously they failed to publicise that this was for the benefit of consumers and that they take customer care seriously. Consumer ends up with less product for the same price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cadbury's have reduced the contents, but it's the shop who primarily set the price. I would be pointing the finger at the retailers, who are probably hoping that most people won't notice the volume reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dudara wrote: »
    Cadbury's have reduced the contents, but it's the shop who primarily set the price. I would be pointing the finger at the retailers, who are probably hoping that most people won't notice the volume reduction.
    does anyone know have cadburys reduced their wholesale prices in line with the reduction in pack size?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

foggy_lad wrote: »
    does anyone know have cadburys reduced their wholesale prices in line with the reduction in pack size?

No they have not. They reduced the size, and charged the retailers the same, thus retailers have to charge customers the same. The blame does not lie with the retailers in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

eightyfish wrote: »
    No they have not. They reduced the size, and charged the retailers the same, thus retailers have to charge customers the same. The blame does not lie with the retailers in this case.

Fair enough then. If the wholesale price has not been reduced, then it appears that the issue is with Cadbury's.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Anyone emailed Cadbury's yet and asked them why?

Response will probably include : 'recession', 'obesity', 'customer benefit' in some fashion.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Fair enough then. If the wholesale price has not been reduced, then it appears that the issue is with Cadbury's.

Aye. Person I know who works for an Irish supermarket told me they were in dispute with Cadbury for weeks about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Reason is price of Coca has doubled in the past 2 years. Also the price of shipping has now gotten to ridiculous levels

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65235919#post65235919

See previous discussion here

Reason is price of Coca has doubled in the past 2 years.

Indeed. Here's a graph.

EDIT: Interestingly, in 2007-2008, cocoa prices were the same as they were in 1985.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

same sort fo thing has happened to pringles

started as 200g, then 190g, then 175g, now 165g

and they disguised the latest change by marketing it as a "super-stack"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eightyfish wrote: »
    EDIT: Interestingly, in 2007-2008, cocoa prices were the same as they were in 1985.
    And I find bars are cheaper than they were in the 80's. I remember most 5 pack bars working out to be about 25p which is 32cent, while nowadays it is very common to get 5 packs for €2.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Cadbury have reduced their 5 pack bars to 4 pack but the price remains the same.

I had a conversation with a friend who works for Superquinn over the weekend. The above is not correct, at least for SQ. The 5 pack was €2.95. The 4 pack is €2.36. Either way it's 59c a bar. May not be the case in other supermarkets.

EDIT: It is true that Cadbury (and other chocolate manufacturers) reduced the amount of chocolate in Easter eggs, however, and that this was directly due to cocoa prices.

Advertisement