Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2010-2011 outlook

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Graces7 wrote: »
    Indeed the latter.... Always!

Well if Wolfe is praying for snow and your praying for no snow that should cancel it out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well if Wolfe is praying for snow and your praying for no snow that should cancel it out!!!

Whoah! I didn;t say I am praying for no snow. Praying for many other things of course.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Are you sure thats not just wishful thinking? :P

That was exactly my thought after I noticed Wolfire's location is in Clare, in the west of Ireland !!

Derek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

my honest opinion derek. i will as gladly call snow for east as i will for west, as i did last year. sadly when snow prospects for the west increased our east coast boardsies kind of just...disappeared.

models have us clinging on to normal/slightly above temps for the next two weeks. Northerly and northeasterly winds try and break the system down but do not look like succeeding in current runs. The atlantic's influence on our weather is not as influential as it was in yesterday's model runs however so hopefully this downgrading of the atlantic's influence will continue.

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    my honest opinion derek. i will as gladly call snow for east as i will for west, as i did last year. sadly when snow prospects for the west increased our east coast boardsies kind of just...disappeared.

What we need is all round nationwide snow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Lads, just hold on. It's only October!

Like others, I'd love a repeat of last year and more but surely around Christmas and into January is when we want this??

Bring on the snow and ice.......but not just yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Joe Bastardi gave a more detailed winter forecast for Europe.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

Ireland slightly above normal temperatures, snow a little below normal as well as precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Min wrote: »
    Joe Bastardi gave a more detailed winter forecast for Europe.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

Ireland slightly above normal temperatures, snow a little below normal as well as precipitation.

Good man Joe!:)

models now have colder weather sweeping south from the north on nov 5-6. long way off yet. will update here tomorrow with next run
    gens-0-0-360.png?12

ecm has codler air sweeping over us as early as nov 1
    ECM0-216.GIF?23-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Didnt know where to put this but seen as this is the place where all the snow lovers seem to hang out i'll go with here.

Anyone that has sky plus there's a program from Eden on it called "Let it snow". Just a quick look at snow in all it's wonder. show lasts about 45 mins, nothing special but worth a look. It's currently on anytime as Last Chance so watch it soon if you're interested.

Jerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Very cold out there and icy! been a while since I have seen an october with as many frosty nights , still only on 23rd ocotober yet theres been a good few frosty nights behind us already:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Outside is all white with frost ,didnt expect it to be this cold, I see on met eireanns latest reports finner camp is the coldest in the country .
    Wouldnt mind having a weather thermometer to get the exact measurments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 cammo 30

MY HEAD IS DONE IN ....CAN ANYONE HELP ME. IM TRYING TO FIND A WEBSITE WITH A LONG RANGE FORCAST FOR IRELAND TO SEE IF WE ARE TO GET MORE SNOW THIS YEAR AND EARLY NEXT YEAR.....AND HOPEFULLY MORE IN CO LOUTH IE DROGHEDA....

LOVE THESNOW ALLWAYS DID ALLWAYS WILL .SNOW BRINGS OUT THE KID IN EVERYONE AND BRINGS SOME PEOPLE CLOSER BY PLAYING IN IT WALKING IN IT HAVING SNOW BALL FIGHTS IN IT MAKING SNOW MEN..THE LIST GOES ON.

LETS HOPE WE GET LOADS AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

cammo 30 wrote: »
    MY HEAD IS DONE IN ....CAN ANYONE HELP ME. IM TRYING TO FIND A WEBSITE WITH A LONG RANGE FORCAST FOR IRELAND TO SEE IF WE ARE TO GET MORE SNOW THIS YEAR AND EARLY NEXT YEAR.....AND HOPEFULLY MORE IN CO LOUTH IE DROGHEDA....

LOVE THESNOW ALLWAYS DID ALLWAYS WILL .SNOW BRINGS OUT THE KID IN EVERYONE AND BRINGS SOME PEOPLE CLOSER BY PLAYING IN IT WALKING IN IT HAVING SNOW BALL FIGHTS IN IT MAKING SNOW MEN..THE LIST GOES ON.

LETS HOPE WE GET LOADS AGAIN

international cap locks day was a few days ago

LOL ! :D

Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

I hear you can still start sentences with them though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Even though these charts chop and change they can give an idea of whats ahead.

Mild november
    Cold december-Hello winter
    mild jan-goodbye winter
    mild feb

And i would go along with this approach too.

Kinda falls into M.T's thinking i feel.
    We shall see.

euT2mMon.gif

redsunset wrote: »
    Even though these charts chop and change they can give an idea of whats ahead.

Mild november
    Cold december-Hello winter
    mild jan-goodbye winter
    mild feb

And i would go along with this approach too.

Kinda falls into M.T's thinking i feel.
    We shall see.

euT2mMon.gif

We shall see indeed! I think anything at the moment (views, opinions, charts etc) can all only be speculative. I don't think anyone (including much respected posters on this forum) has ONE IOTA of evidence as to whether this winter in Ireland will be milder or colder than average. Sure you might as well be reading tea leaves for the answer! ;)

It will be what it will be, let it pan out the way it will be, whether that is mild or cold.

Weather can only be reliably forecasted three to four days in advance (and sometimes this is even open to errors). How anyone can forecast what will happen 5 weeks away (start of December) is beyond me! Take any long term winter forecasts with a very large pinch of salt :D

Derek

I meant to say that those charts change every time I wash my hair ! :D

Derek

• Advertisement

derekon wrote: »
    We shall see indeed! I think anything at the moment (views, opinions, charts etc) can all only be speculative. I don't think anyone (including much respected posters on this forum) has ONE IOTA of evidence as to whether this winter in Ireland will be milder or colder than average. Sure you might as well be reading tea leaves for the answer! ;)

It will be what it will be, let it pan out the way it will be, whether that is mild or cold.

Weather can only be reliably forecasted three to four days in advance (and sometimes this is even open to errors). How anyone can forecast what will happen 5 weeks away (start of December) is beyond me! Take any long term winter forecasts with a very large pinch of salt :D

Derek

I cannot agree with most of that,yes it will be what it will be but saying that no one can have an idea is wrong,I was very impressed with M.T's winter forecast for last year and other sites that did very well in seeing the colder than normal temps last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Freezing night here in Letterkenny, the car doors were frozen shut last night and everything was thick with frost. We had some rain as well so it couldn't have been far off snowing, probably was up in the mountains

any solid evidance of snow again this year and early next year......i do hope so

cammo 30 wrote: »
    any solid evidance of snow again this year and early next year......i do hope so

Cold and dry,frost would be a safe bet with hopefully clashing airmasses to give feet of snow:D
    However Derek seems to think no one has a clue,so might as well shut down the weather forum.:)

here is a little tip that i tried and works. if u have 2 leave the house in snowy and icy conditions get an old pair of large of socks and pull them over your trainers(runners) this gives loads of grip..

I meant to say that those charts change every time I wash my hair ! :D

Derek

Wait for a really cold one and then stop washing your hair. Problem solved.:pac:

redsunset wrote: »
    Cold and dry,frost would be a safe bet with hopefully clashing airmasses to give feet of snow:D
    However Derek seems to think no one has a clue,so might as well shut down the weather forum.:)

Well I would'nt go that far , LOL :D

Might have been a bit OTT in my original observation which is a fair point Redsunset - MT did give an excellent forecast last winter and I am looking forward to his upcoming winter forecast.

I should have said originally that specifics are very difficult to give in respect of winter in Ireland. Again it all goes back to the marginality for snow on the island..

Derek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Derek

I think that's being unfair to MT, who had the general bones of last winter's forecast, and probably has a better chance of anyone of being right from his decades of personal research.

Forecasting for a few months ahead requires a very different approach to that of a few days ahead. Larger scale global factors are much more important, and these can be used to some effect in seasonal forecasting. Just have a look at a few of Joe Bastardi's forecasts and you'll see what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Saw that JoeB has put up his european winter forecast video. Apologies if this has been posted already!

http://www.accuweather.com/video/646598930001/the-euro-winterlets-not-get-too-carried-away.asp?channel=vbbastaj

• Advertisement

There remains general agreement in tonight's model outputs that a cold northerly wind flow will develop over ireland and the uk in the first week of november (middle to latter stage of week). Between now and then they are indicating that the atlantic will remain in charge of our weather.

One to watch and ill keep you posted.

EDIT:
    Anyone else notice the amount of berries coming nto fruit on trees today? Some say a sign of a hars winter ahead.

Advertisement