Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England squad problems

• 23-06-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

Oliver Holt seems to have the inside knowledge on what is going on in the England camp...

England problems

Not surprising they are in a mess.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Terrible article I think. Obviously anti Capello and filled with disingenuous reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Ush1 wrote: »
    Terrible article I think. Obviously anti Capello and filled with disingenuous reasoning.

One of the worst i have read, Sounds like he is hoping Terry runs into his arms at the airport when they come home.
    So let’s get this straight: Capello slaughters Terry for speaking about problems in public and then 24 hours later, he, er, speaks about problems in public.

“When you speak, you have to speak privately,” Capello said, in front of an audience of millions on ITV.

From watching the ITV interview with Capello, even with his level of the English language, you can quite clearly ascertain that he meant privately in the sense of 1 on 1 and not in front of a gathering hoarde of media outlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Shameless plug....... but I'll allow it.

Oh wait I'm not a mod....

Yet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Agree, terrible article composed of what if's to make it seem like he has some kind of inside knowledge on the situation. The tide seems to be turning away from people blaming the team and Capello seems to be becoming the scapegoat. No doubt when he is gone a lot more will jump on the bandwagon and lay the blame at his door to save their own image.

Then come the 2014 World Cup BBC and ITV can play on the whole " We would have won it in 2010 if not for the manager" angle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

One of the problems from what I can see, is that the English media are more intersted in their own hugely inflated egos and comig up with a "Scoop" than they are in getting behind the team and supporting them.

The Mirror is probably the worst example of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

There is some truth in that article but Capello's treatment of Terry has been blown out of proportion. Obviously Capello would have had a stern word with Terry but would never try and undermine someone so crucial to his team. Capello has not been perfect and has made mistakes in the WC but should not be the lone scapegoat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Gotta be honest and say that I dont believe Terry had much if any support with the dressing room and Capello was right to bitch slap him publicly.

If he had support then why would they all crumble and abandon him ? Lets face it he aint very popular in the dressing in the first place I would imagine. More like him going it alone and backfiring spectacularly. Mullery was on SSN yesterday lambasting him for his antics and I think he was spot on. This was the same Mullery who defended him over the Bridge affair. Keegan has also said that what Terry done was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

They were very unlucky to lose Ferdinand. A ball playing CB is essential in a 4-4-2 system, and with Terry and Carragher there, they just hoof the ball up. Upson wont be much better. King would have been a little better, but losing Ferdinand was a huge blow, not just defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

PHB wrote: »
    They were very unlucky to lose Ferdinand. A ball playing CB is essential in a 4-4-2 system, and with Terry and Carragher there, they just hoof the ball up. Upson wont be much better. King would have been a little better, but losing Ferdinand was a huge blow, not just defensively.

To be fair,king is a very good ball playing centre half.if he was fully fit,he would be number 1 choice CB,imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hahah, the journalist doesn't see the distinction between the manager and a player who has recently lost his captaincy coming out and making his criticisms public. The agenda is there for all to see, Capello may be at fault for certain things, but the way the media has completely made him into a scapegoat is quite ridiculous. Capello is topclass, arguably the best manager in the world, and he'll continue to be just that regardless of whether he is slated by the English press or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

according to the guardian today, Holt wrote Terrys autobiography. who would've thought it! i hope cappello gets to the final, drops Terry on the way there, then quits after the world cup citing the english media being pricks as the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

One of the problems from what I can see, is that the English media are more intersted in their own hugely inflated egos and comig up with a "Scoop" than they are in getting behind the team and supporting them.

The Mirror is probably the worst example of this.

it is not the job of the media to "get behind the team".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

PHB wrote: »

I'd disagree with this. If you watched any Chelsea games this season you'll see that Terry rarely plays a long ball. Watch the first 2 English games and look how reluctant the midfield is to drop deep to receive short passes. Even Barry doesn't make himself available. At Chelsea he always had options with an unresticted Cole on the left or Ballack or Mikel dropping to recieve the ball. The problem is the English midfield don't like the ball at their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lukker- wrote: »
    I'd disagree with this. If you watched any Chelsea games this season you'll see that Terry rarely plays a long ball. Watch the first 2 English games and look how reluctant the midfield is to drop deep to receive short passes. Even Barry doesn't make himself available. At Chelsea he always had options with an unresticted Cole on the left or Ballack or Mikel dropping to recieve the ball. The problem is the English midfield don't like the ball at their feet.

I think that's fair too. The midfield is making it hard for Terry. But Ferdinand was able to adjust to it compared to Terry. Carvalho is the ball playing centre half of the Chelsea team. Terry requires a 3 man midfield though in terms of passing, while King or Ferdinand or Carvalho could adjust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The Mirror is the closest thing to the The Sun there is without them molding together.

Typical British media 'support the hard man defender and blame the foreign manager' approach.

Holt's argument will be that he's done his job - his article is being talked about and papers are flying out the doors and the Mirror is making money from the piece. That's the mentality of the British media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Mirror is the closest thing to the The Sun there is without them molding together.

Typical British media 'support the hard man defender and blame the foreign manager' approach.

Holt's argument will be that he's done his job - his article is being talked about and papers are flying out the doors and the Mirror is making money from the piece. That's the mentality of the British media.

Traditionaklly the Mirror was the left wing paper, the Sun right wing.

They are just different flavours of pure shite as far as i am concerned.

Advertisement