Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ghana - Germany, 19:30pm, Johannesburg

• 23-06-2010 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

a99.jpg

6034073 v 117297.png

Ghana vs. Germany

19:30 GMT (Summer Time) in Johannesburg

Final day in group D. Ghana sitting on top of the group with 4 points. Germany and Serbia following with 3 points each, Germany on better goal difference. Australia at the back of the class with just one point.

Germany will not want to entertain any permutations involving a draw. Germany must and will go out to win this. In the press conference Schweinsteiger called on his fellow teammates that 'every single action must make clear we want to win this match' and 'that we're going to act and not to react'.

As far as the line-up is concerned it seems that Cacau will start for the suspended Klose and Badstuber may get a break after his somewhat sub-prime display against Krasic in the Serbia game. While that's not a certainty likely replacements would be either Marcel Jansen or Jerome Boateng. Jansen is only back from injury but according to coaching staff is pushing hard for inclusion and Boateng's appearance would make for an interesting pub quiz question in years to come. Me personally I'd go for Jansen since he's very strong going forward and he could form a terrific duo with Podolski on the left and also I simply wouldn't do it to Jerome Boateng. His relationship with the brother is disturbed already and this may have a negative influence on the game and also on the lad himself.

Ghana only needs a draw from this and are likely to shut up shop, but I doubt their quality and discipline on that front. Especially with the firepower and ability to break down defenses Germany have shown so far.
    On paper this is all about Germany as they have never failed to get out of the group stages in a World Cup and only lost - rather unfortunate - their first group match in 26 years on Friday. However this is the first real pressure situation for a very young and rather inexperienced squad and therefore you never know.

Looking forward to this big time. 'Deutschland vor, noch ein Tor!' :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He he he.

I remember Eamo saying Germany wouldn't get out of the group and of course that seemed silly before the Oz game and dafter afterwards and yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

mike65 wrote: »
    He he he.

I remember Eamo saying Germany wouldn't get out of the group and of course that seemed silly before the Oz game and dafter afterwards and yet....

What made him even stupider was picking Oz as his dark horse for the tournament because they beat a B Ireland team in a meaningless friendly in Thomond Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

He he he.

Well, it is a possibility. I'm not going to pretend we can't go out tonight. Ghana will be very motivated as they are (technically) in the driving seat.

But I trust the team to do this. Young and inexperienced or not Germany are usually no bottlers when the pressure is on and I imagine it will take more than Ghana to topple the lads. Should have all the ingredients of a good attacking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

2 nil to zee Vaterlanders!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Considering I'm going to Berlin on Monday I think I'll be firmly behind Germany for this. Before 2006 I never really enjoyed Germany's style of play but since the first game of that world cup I think they have become my favourite country (after Ireland of course). I love their trusting of young players recently, the likes of Lahm and Podolski and now Ozil, Marin etc. in this world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

While the World Cup has thrown up some shocks so far I dont think this will be one. Germany to win. They are the better team and I don't really rate Ghana. Also would be a shame if Ozil didnt get to shine in the latter stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Come on Germany!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I think Germany will be too strong for Ghana, but in this WC, nothing is predictable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

ZE Germans are coming! Can't wait for this game. Ghana have scored 2 goals from penalties so im backing the Germans. No african teams in the next round!Or maybe just the one, the BlackStars!!Other results going there way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

germany FTW

• Advertisement

yay Ghana

/checks where the hell Ghana is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

C'mon Ghana! I want to see them and Serbia go through.

I've never liked the German football team at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Germany could end up starting with a Brazilian, a Ghanaian and two Turks.

I'm expecting Germany to win. Ghana were not impressive against Australia, despite Australia playing most of the game with 10 men. Ghana could easily have lost that game. If Klose wasn't the victim of ridiculous refereeing in the last match, I think he would have had a great chance to get a few goals tonight. He's only 4 behind Ronaldo's record of 15 world cup goals.

I'm hoping for Germany and Serbia to get out of the group and for another African't team to be sent home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Germany could end up starting with a Brazilian, a Ghanaian and two Turks.

I'm expecting Germany to win. Ghana were not impressive against Australia, despite Australia playing most of the game with 10 men. Ghana could easily have lost that game. If Klose wasn't the victim of ridiculous refereeing in the last match, I think he would have had a great chance to get a few goals tonight. He's only 4 behind Ronaldo's record of 15 world cup goals.

I'm hoping for Germany and Serbia to get out of the group and for another African't team to be sent home.

Ladies and Gentlemen i'm afraid we have a Ku-Klux Klansmember in the house tonight.

Ghana: 22-Richard Kingson; 4-John Pantsil, 8-Jonathan Mensah, 5-John Mensah, 2-Hans Sarpei; 6-Anthony Annan, 23-Kevin-Prince Boateng, 13-Dede Ayew, 12-Prince Tagoe; 21-Kwadwo Asamoah, 3-Asamoah Gyan.

Germany: 1-Manuel Neuer; 16-Philipp Lahm, 3-Arne Friedrich, 17-Per Mertesacker, 20-Jerome Boateng, 13-Thomas Mueller, 6-Sami Khedira, 7-Bastian Schweinsteiger, 10-Lukas Podolski, 8-Mesut Ozil, 19-Cacau.

I think this means the brothers are playing each other, has that ever happened before?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,579 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I hope the USA team is celebrating too hard; This is the game to watch. Know thy enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

He he he.

We'll see, but why didn't he say the same about France, or even Italy before the tournament.?

I doubt he could locate most of the teams in Germany on a map!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

CorkMan wrote: »
    Ladies and Gentlemen i'm afraid we have a Ku-Klux Klansmember in the house tonight.

He thinks a Brazilian shouldn't play for Germany. Yep, must be a racist. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Does anyone know if tonight is the first time brothers have ever played AGAINST each other at the World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Does anyone know if tonight is the first time brothers have ever played AGAINST each other at the World Cup?

Think it was aksed somewhere on here the other day, and the answer was yes,

They are only half brothers though, still it's a bit mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hope the results workout for a Germany - England last 16.

Very interested to see England face one of the better nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Can't wait for this.
    J Boateng starting :eek:.
    I expected them to go with Jansen.

2-0 Germany hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oh those German jerseys are frickin' gorgeous! :eek:

Waiting for mine to arrive :).

It's purrty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

"first shot in anger" F*ck off.

"put his body on the line there" F*ck off, it's a ball!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Germany win I think, Ghana don't have the brains tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I hope Germany win and top the group because then there would be a guaranteed outsider in the semi-finals: Uruguay/S.Korea/USA/Ghana or Serbia.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Waiting for mine to arrive :).

It's purrty.

I'm jealous! I'll get one after my birthday I think, I love black jerseys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Getting me jersey delivered on Tuesday :D the black one is rocking!

• Advertisement

I hope the Ghanans don't resort to long distance shots like they did against Australia

Germany could end up starting with a Brazilian, a Ghanaian and two Turks..

Could you identify who you are talking about here?

(a)Cacau is a German citizen.

(b)Boateng is half-Ghanaian, born and raised in Berlin, to a German mother. It is Kevin-Prince Boateng who played underage for Germany who switched to Ghana.

(c) if you are talking about Khedira, he is half Tunisian half German, so has nothing to do with Turkey at all :rolleyes:

Might have meant Ozil, which is also wrong. He's from Gelsenkirchen. But he's of Turkish descent.

Cacau is not really playing as the striker

What a chance... Oezil should have done better!

Ah Ozil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Dammit Ozil, you won't get another chance like that. :mad: I could touch the winnings there. :(

• Advertisement

Germany are definitely missing Klose

Not really looking convincing so far :( Schweini good though

Boskowski wrote: »
    Not really looking convincing so far :( Schweini good though

Not to worry, I think if they score once, the game will open up and they'll push on. Just need to break the ice.

Edit: Get on your feet man!! He barely touched your face.

The German team is still more German than the Irish team is Irish.

Ghana looking quite tidy in the middle and a couple of decent chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Lol at Trevor Stevens commentary there for the Ghana booking.

Two good games at the moment, i've got my eye more on the Ghana Germany one but the other one looks a fairly open game too.

• Advertisement

Germans largely inert at the business end, Ghana just need a little more speed maybe in the final third.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Cacau really justifying his selection (not!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

This is great game imo but whoever is commentating for RTE is muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Germany are my sweep stake team, COME ON!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

so Germany is stealing a draw and nobody mention it? :rolleyes:

TripleAce wrote: »
    so Germany is stealing a draw and nobody mention it? :rolleyes:

Who says they're playing for a draw?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

prinz wrote: »
    Who says they're playing for a draw?:confused:

they are lucky to be drawing given that there should have been a penalty to Ghana and a red card to the Germans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

The Germans playing for a draw is very dangerous, if Serbia score a goal against Australia they will go out!

I don't like it one bit. Not enough pace. The whirlwind stuff from game one is gone altogether. At this rate we will get caught and go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

Don't think ze Germans are playing for the draw. There been careful so thye wont get done like they did against Serbia.
    Slow build up and bang one nil!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement