Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout: New Vegas and Steamworks

Options
  • 23-06-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

After reading online, I discovered many people where unhappy with NV using Steamworks.
    I for one am glad they are using Steamworks over that GFWL, SecuROM or Ubisoft crap. Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

It all boils down to one thing for me really. If I can fallout: new vegas at the same level as Fallout 3 (smooth gameplay and graphics, which should be possible as they are same engine) without connecting to the internet each time I dont care. But if I have to connect to the internet each time to play, or there is some resource hogging drm program that needs to run in the background, then i won get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

It all boils down to one thing for me really. If I can fallout: new vegas at the same level as Fallout 3 (smooth gameplay and graphics, which should be possible as they are same engine) without connecting to the internet each time I dont care. But if I have to connect to the internet each time to play, or there is some resource hogging drm program that needs to run in the background, then i won get it.

You can play games on STEAM offline if they are fully updated (don't know why they have to be fully updated) and STEAM at most seems to only use a max of 50,000 Kb of memory for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Steam = Brilliant, so i'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

so happy its not GFWL. That service is a load of ****.

I like steam and are more inclined to buy games if i can add to my steam account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I would prefer they used what they had with fallout 3 - not that I actually like GFWL, just that I don't like activations. You could play fallout 3 without using GFWL, steam, the internet or even without the DVD, if you used the game executable and not the launcher. I like to limit the number of games I have with steam and only buy when they're vastly cheaper.
    I don't really care about achievements or DLC (I just get them in a GOTYE) myself. Steam is very handy, but Bethesda could easily make it optional.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

At least it is not the clusterf*ck that is GFWL.

A percentage of people will always moan about any DRM solution. Of course not liikng Steam is a perfectly reasonably position to hold however it is by far the 'least worst' DRM solution out there IMO.

And as a gaming experience personally I think steam is an absolutely fantastic service.

Steamworks games are the best off all, you get the full steam integration andthe option to shop around for the best prices. Win, win.

marco_polo wrote: »
    At least it is not the clusterf*ck that is GFWL.

A percentage of people will always moan about any DRM solution. Of course not liikng Steam is a perfectly reasonably position to hold however it is by far the 'least worst' solution out there IMO.

Second least worst, least worst is www.gog.com No DRM at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

Also, doesn't steamworks mean you get access to the whole "save your game in a datacloud attached to your account" or am I going bonkers?

seithon wrote: »
    Also, doesn't steamworks mean you get access to the whole "save your game in a datacloud attached to your account" or am I going bonkers?

I do believe so, I may be mistaken though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Second least worst, least worst is www.gog.com No DRM at all!

Hmm, How have I never heard of this before. I'll shall be checking it out later. A quick glance reveals some nice cheap classics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

marco_polo wrote: »
    Hmm, How have I never heard of this before. I'll shall be checking it out later. A quick glance reveals some nice cheap classics.

GoG is even better because in general they are given access to the original code and are allowed to make updates to fix em for modern systems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

seithon wrote: »

yeah you got it.

Advertisement