Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with new Eircom router.

• 23-06-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I've recently bought a new Ericom router, it's practically the same to the old one bar saying Eircom on top opposed to Netopia on top of the old one. The reason I bought the new one is because the wireless signal is terrible on the old one, it doesn't make a difference if I put the antenna (the module that holds the other one in place is after slipping inside the router somehow) on or off. I only get 1 or 2 bars of reception in the room above when before I always had full reception.

When I plug the newly purchased one in only the power and Ethernet LED's light up, none of the DSL, Wireless or Internet LED's light at all. Although one day when the phone line running into the router was unplugged I managed to get both DSL and Wireless LED's to light and received full wireless reception.

I hope someone can assist with this problem as it is rather annoying loosing connection when your only a couple of feet from the actual router.

It's the 2247 NWG router from Netopia by the way.

Any help would much much appreciated,

Uba.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did you buy it from eircom, and is it set up correctly? The wireless strength will have nothing to do with DSL or Internet connectivity/lights, but will depend on the quality of the router, interference, thickness of walls/floors, proximity to router, etc. Quite often, the signal strength will decay significantly when crossing between floors of the house. Poor signal strength between down and up-stairs is nothing unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ubaroo

jor el wrote: »
    Did you buy it from eircom, and is it set up correctly? The wireless strength will have nothing to do with DSL or Internet connectivity/lights, but will depend on the quality of the router, interference, thickness of walls/floors, proximity to router, etc. Quite often, the signal strength will decay significantly when crossing between floors of the house. Poor signal strength between down and up-stairs is nothing unusual.

Thanks for the reply.

No I bought it from adverts.ie a sister site to boards. I'm not exactly sure if it's set up correctly, I reset it before plugging anything in and hoped it would work in that state. I am aware that the wireless signal can vary depending on obstacles that are blocking its path but before with the old router I always had 5 bars of signal which has now dropped to 1 or 2. That one time when the wireless was working on the new router I received full reception so it's defiantly something to do with the wifi on the old one.

If you used the reset switch then it probably won't work. You need to set it up with the settings from this page
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=168&E=0000000000249270331&K=5919&SXI=10&E=0000000000249270331&St=168&K=5919&SXI=10&case=12815&branch=4

jor el wrote: »
    If you used the reset switch then it probably won't work. You need to set it up with the settings from this page
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=168&E=0000000000249270331&K=5919&SXI=10&E=0000000000249270331&St=168&K=5919&SXI=10&case=12815&branch=4

Cheers, where do I enter those settings though? I am unable to access the router on http://192.168.1.254/ which is the url for the one I'm currently using.

Anyone else have any idea's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Ubaroo wrote: »
    Anyone else have any idea's?

Connect the new Modem direct to a PC/Laptop using the ethernet cable provided and try accessing the default gateway 192.168.1.254 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

which is the url for the one I'm currently using
    Maybe I've misunderstood you, but are you trying to go to the webpage of the new router while connected to the old one, because if you are then thats your problem right there.

If this isn't the case, then when you plug into the new router, make sure you aren't on a static IP, then just look at your connection properties for the default gateway and go to that address.

Vanbis wrote: »
    Connect the new Modem direct to a PC/Laptop using the ethernet cable provided and try accessing the default gateway 192.168.1.254 again.

Just tried this with no luck, my computer just shows that there is limited or no connectivity.
    This webpage is not available.

The webpage at http://192.168.1.254/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Knasher wrote: »
    Maybe I've misunderstood you, but are you trying to go to the webpage of the new router while connected to the old one, because if you are then thats your problem right there.

If this isn't the case, then when you plug into the new router, make sure you aren't on a static IP, then just look at your connection properties for the default gateway and go to that address.

Sorry should have explained that better, I've never had both routers connected at the same time. How do I check if I am on a static IP or not? Also the field after default gateway just remains blank when connected to the new router.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ah okay, in that case it sounds like the person you bought the router from had it set in bridge mode and didn't reset it before selling it on, no big deal but confusing at first. You either need to find out how to do a factory reset (its often by holding down the reset button as you power on, but it can vary device to device). Alternatively you need to set a static IP (say 192.168.1.10) and you should be able to navigate to that page then. Usually just pressing the reset button only restarts the device.

Look to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_tcpip_pro_manualconfig.mspx?mfr=true for how to set a static ip. You needn't bother setting your gateway or dns servers, but your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0, also remember to undo this after you are done.

If you've already reset to factory defaults, and the router is not assigning an IP to your computer, and you can't connect to it, then it's probably dead.

• Advertisement

Ah okay, in that case it sounds like the person you bought the router from had it set in bridge mode and didn't reset it before selling it on, no big deal but confusing at first. You either need to find out how to do a factory reset (its often by holding down the reset button as you power on, but it can vary device to device). Alternatively you need to set a static IP (say 192.168.1.10) and you should be able to navigate to that page then. Usually just pressing the reset button only restarts the device.

Look to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_tcpip_pro_manualconfig.mspx?mfr=true for how to set a static ip. You needn't bother setting your gateway or dns servers, but your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0, also remember to undo this after you are done.

Cheers for the reply, I'm after setting the IP to 192.168.1.10 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 (on another pc) it then says I'm connected but I still can't acess the router. I left the default gateway and DNS fields empty and the ethernet LED on the router is just flickering.

Assuming that it isn't broken, it is also possible that whoever you bought it had changed the default ip address of the router before either disabling DHCP or putting it into bridging mode. There is no way to figure out the routers default IP (that I can think of) so you need to do a factory reset. This thread seems to indicate that resetting the router 10 times in a row should return it to factory settings (while its on mind you, got the feeling form an earlier post that you were reseting while it was turned off).
    After that you should be getting an IP from DHCP and you should be able to proceed. If not then try the other hard reset method, and after that you may want to consider that you have a dud unit.

Assuming that it isn't broken, it is also possible that whoever you bought it had changed the default ip address of the router before either disabling DHCP or putting it into bridging mode. There is no way to figure out the routers default IP (that I can think of) so you need to do a factory reset. This thread seems to indicate that resetting the router 10 times in a row should return it to factory settings (while its on mind you, got the feeling form an earlier post that you were reseting while it was turned off).
    After that you should be getting an IP from DHCP and you should be able to proceed. If not then try the other hard reset method, and after that you may want to consider that you have a dud unit.

Thanks a million, I tried reseting it 10 times in a row and it worked a charm. I'm now able to get onto the router via my windows XP machine but I still can't get the DSL or Internet lights to light up.

Advertisement