Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics - Thoughts?

• 23-06-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭

I can't believe it. I thought that paper was cruel, well to me in anyways. No Oligopoly, hell, no Perfect. Monopoly. God damn. In the mocks I got a B1, and now I'll be lucky to get a c2/c3.
    I thought the short questions were a gift though, really nice!:D

I did question 1-3-6-8 for the long questions btw.

So how did you guys find it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 emchugh

it was tough for an economics paper. oligopoly did another boland, but the shorts were very nice. i got an A1 in my mocks, i'd be lucky if i got a b3 after that ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

One word: BALLS!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

no Perfect.
    There was in part 3 of the Monopoly, though?

Either that or I was halluncinating from the coffee:eek:

I thought it was quite nice, dont want to sound cocky and dont know for sure but I would love an A1.:)

Quick question, I was told after the mocks to draw a diagram for certain Qs even if not asked. I just drew diagrams for Q1 and 2, and I did Q1 (D&S) 2 (Monopoly & Perfect) 3 (Labour) and 7 (Intl. Trade)

Did I miss any 'diagramming' possibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

The ordinary was very handy, great paper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

The ordinary was very handy, great paper :)

What was on your paper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

Thought it was tough but fair. Did questions 1,2,4 and 7. Wish I studied national income because it looked easier than normal. Markets question was way easier than normal to compensate for surprise. Got 80% in pres, think I got b1/a2 in that. Only thing I know I effed up was IMF.

Ok, thoughts on tricky questions:

How can gov discourage consumption of soft drinks?
    I said: place taxes on them
    subsidise sub goods
    barriers to trade
    ????

Advantages of monopoly:
    economies of scale
    no advertisig

Carbon tax question:
    regressive
    Adv:
    revenue for gov
    no disincentive to work
    lower carbon footprint

disadv:
    regressive
    uncertain revenue
    inflation
    loss of intl. competiveness.

Problems of national debt:
    credit rating
    opportunity cost of funds
    burden on future tax payers
    (not happy with this one)

what did others say for those questions? I'm not over the moon with my answers

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

I can't remember what I said, but I did say reduce VAT on healthier options, I think I said fund an advertising campaign aimed at parents and children and then offer grants to schools who do not sell the soft drinks.

More detail, but those were the kind of basis of my answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

I did 1234:)

Was delighted with it! A few i got wrong like wage drift nd small stuff like that but I rockon I got a solid B overall:D

Q1 on the fizzy drinks was piss in fairness...nothin hard at all, just basic demand and supply

Q2. was hoping for Oligopoly but monopoly is dead easy and so is perfect competition....didn't put down "one firm dominates the market" as an assumption:S

Q3. Q4, both fairly easy....no major twists or trick questions from one end of the paper to the other:)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

What WAS wage drift anyway?!

I didn't like the paper, I was pretty sure oligopoly was going to come up because I really didn't expect ECONOMICS of all things to pull a Boland! So that took the wind from my sails.
    I thought it was harder because there weren't as many simple definitions as in previous papers and in the mocks-no Law of Diminishing MU, no consumer assumptions, no exceptions to the Law of Demand....I thought those had to come up in any paper! At least there was scope for the Canons of Taxation, that was a relief anyhow...

Did anyone else have difficulty with the short question on PED? For delta P I put 0, because price didn't change, but that just caused a math error on my calculator so I skipped it...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

Personally thought it was a brilliant paper! Was very well prepared and had monopoly and price discrimination off! Was delighted with the short q's next to certain I got full marks there! First time ever I've been able to answer all 9!

Did 1 2 3 and 6, all quite easy but was anyones deman curve crooked? A few Said it was but I don't know what to make of it? I did it twice and still was crooked!

• Advertisement

Cipango wrote: »
    Personally thought it was a brilliant paper! Was very well prepared and had monopoly and price discrimination off! Was delighted with the short q's next to certain I got full marks there! First time ever I've been able to answer all 9!

Did 1 2 3 and 6, all quite easy but was anyones deman curve crooked? A few Said it was but I don't know what to make of it? I did it twice and still was crooked!

Yeah, mine had a few points out of line....moved them to fit :o

I really covered myself by giving one or two more of everything asked...eg the assumptions of monopoly I gave about 6 just to make sure and I did that with everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Aisling x

wage drift is when wages rise above the rate negotiated by employers and unions.
    i did 1,3,4,5...
    my 4 and 5 were complete bluff and chancing my arm...didn't think it went terribly though, my bluffing abilities surprised me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I was just rethinking about my answers and freaked myself out completely! I wrote down wierd answers for suggestions on how the gov could sort shìt out like the fizzy drinks and black economy and that.
    For fizzy drinks I said informative advertising highlighting harmful effects of soft drinks and ensuring that the price of fizzy drinks are always dearer than water??! Did I fùck that one up? And I had some other horrible answers like that....do they only accept the answers that are on the marking scheme for qs that ask for your suggestion?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Garykelleher

IMO, besides the lack of oligopoly ( i had studied monopoly anyway), i thought it was very easy paper. I did 1 2 3 5. I thought they were very straight forward with nothing tricky in them. I would have loved to do international trade but i didnt like the section it came up in. I thought question 1 was bit harder, but still very similar to the 2009 and 2008 Question 1s. Q 2 Q 3 and Q5 were very easy if you had studied them.

Although from what i saw when i glanced over it, the other questions looked hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Was ok tbh, not as nice as could have been. THe shorts were lovely Q1 was fine a bit long though, Q2 was ok wasn't a complete shock after what seems to have happened this year, Q 3 was ok, didn't know wage drift. Q7 was ok too though I made a balls of the IMF as I ran out of time:mad::mad:

Would have loved an A1 however not sure now I'd say at least B1 which isn't too bad I suppose!!!

However I'm finished now so don't care, I'm FREE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Sophsxxx wrote: »
    I was just rethinking about my answers and freaked myself out completely! I wrote down wierd answers for suggestions on how the gov could sort shìt out like the fizzy drinks and black economy and that.
    For fizzy drinks I said informative advertising highlighting harmful effects of soft drinks and ensuring that the price of fizzy drinks are always dearer than water??! Did I fùck that one up? And I had some other horrible answers like that....do they only accept the answers that are on the marking scheme for qs that ask for your suggestion?:(

Your advertising campaign is definitely going to be accepted, I said it and I also said make water cheaper but I phrased it as "providing a subsidy for substitutes to fizzy drinks eg. water"

lc2010 wrote: »
    Was ok tbh, not as nice as could have been. THe shorts were lovely Q1 was fine a bit long though, Q2 was ok wasn't a complete shock after what seems to have happened this year, Q 3 was ok, didn't know wage drift. Q7 was ok too though I made a balls of the IMF as I ran out of time:mad::mad:

Would have loved an A1 however not sure now I'd say at least B1 which isn't too bad I suppose!!!

However I'm finished now so don't care, I'm FREE!!!

That is actually the scariest quote ever-my sentiments EXACTLY, same with the IMF and time, plus the wage drift, plus hoping for A but looking at B now! Whoa! Spooky! :)

And yes, FREEDOM!!!! Have a nice summer :)

Is it like business with all the examples?

Would you lose marks when not giving examples when asked to explain something?

stainluss wrote: »
    Is it like business with all the examples?

Would you lose marks when not giving examples when asked to explain something?

If it says illustrate i think an example is needed. But in general if your stuck for something to write an example is always good for an extra point. But you should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 repeat92

that paper was BEAUTIFULL.. those 3 days of cramming paid off.. i picked up this subject this yr and i think i definately got a B1 happy days maaan...:D though with some of those definitions i was like wtf?? i did 5 questions..now for my summer to begin and endless sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

The paper wasnt too bad but very long....I was done with 40 minutes on the mocks and got a B2. Today I needed every minute but would have loved another half hour to expand answers

I just realised for Q2 (C) there is a special graph you draw to compare Monopoly and PC [LR]. I never did this :(

I just drew the two seperate LR ones, for each market:( I made correct observations under the three headings, too

Would I get any marks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Interzone wrote: »
    Carbon tax question:
    regressive
    Adv:
    revenue for gov
    no disincentive to work
    lower carbon footprint

They wanted economic advantages- a low carbon footprint would be a social advantage.

Overall I thought the paper was fine- Was not gonna do a micro question so the lack of oligopoly or whatever was to be expected.

Didnt bother doing the history stuff then Milton Friedman was on the banking question -.-

Learned off the IMF, had expected it :)

No NAMA though, a surprise

My only problem with the paper was the wording! Q2 C as easy as it was, was stupidly phrased and just don't know why they didn't ask the normal price discriminating monopolist?

repeat92 wrote: »
    that paper was BEAUTIFULL.. those 3 days of cramming paid off.. i picked up this subject this yr and i think i definately got a B1 happy days maaan...:D though with some of those definitions i was like wtf?? i did 5 questions..now for my summer to begin and endless sessions

Where did you get time to write 5 questions? I was dying to get one more in but time was against me!

I just realised for Q2 (C) there is a special graph you draw to compare Monopoly and PC [LR]. I never did this :(

I just drew the two seperate LR ones, for each market:( I made correct observations under the three headings, too

Would I get any marks?

Probably 15 marks going for the theory, i reckon you could still get the full 15. Also, lucky examiner, might give u a few marks if your individual diagrams were good.

Would I get any marks?

Wait what? I have never seen this diagram before?

Its nothing too special. You draw Mc Curve AC curve etc... you just put PC and Monopoly into the same diagram and looking it it shows what produces more what charges higher price etc...

• Advertisement

Bollocks, how many marks were going for that part, I say they would give attempt marks for the two seperate diagrams right?

Advertisement