Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CLODs (Centre Lane Only Drivers !)

• 23-06-2010 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I drive all the way around the M50 a couple of times a week, and I never cease to be amazed that the majority of drivers insist on cruising along in the middle lane of the three lane sections of the motorway while the inner lane is completely empty...

I know that most people on this forum are likely to be good drivers and therefore aware of the rules, but this is a plea for those in the know to spread the word... I know that a lot of Irish drivers out there are not used to three lanes (god knows some of them cant even handle two !), but maybe if we get enough people out there passing on the message we might make the three lane motorways safer and a whole lot more efficient.

The official rules are as follows:

(http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/on-the-motorway.html)

Using lanes properly

It is very important that you understand the purpose of each lane on a motorway. To help explain how and when to move from one lane to another, each lane is given a number. The picture below shows that lane 1 is the lane nearest the hard shoulder. This is also known as the inside lane. On a two-lane motorway, the lane nearest the central median is lane 2 (also called the outside lane). On a three-lane motorway, this lane is lane 3.

motorway_on-the-motorway_00.jpg
    Lane 1

The normal 'keep left' rule applies. Stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.
    Lane 2

On a two-lane motorway, use this for overtaking only and move back into lane 1 when you have finished. You may also use this lane to accommodate traffic merging from the left.

On a three-lane motorway, you may stay in this centre lane while there is slower moving traffic in lane 1.
    Lane 3

If you are travelling on a three-lane motorway, you must use this lane only if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake or accommodate merging traffic. Once you've finished overtaking, move back to your left and allow faster traffic coming from behind to pass by.
    You must not use the lane nearest the central median (lane 2 or lane 3, depending on the motorway width) if you are driving:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

see the other billion threads on here about this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Please shut it down before it sprawls in to another god-forsaken mess mods, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I'm guilty of doing that, but only on the bits of Motorway where the left lane was so bad I thought I was going to damage the car.

I'll keep left in a rental though ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

passing_side_suicide_bumper_sticker-p128126266651968811trl0_400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I'm guilty of doing that, but only on the bits of Motorway where the left lane was so bad I thought I was going to damage the car.

I'll keep left in a rental though ;)

wtf??

Thats a new one.

• Advertisement

E39MSport wrote: »
    wtf??

Thats a new one.

Never been on a motorway where the left lane (In UK and Ireland) and Right Lane (Continent) is in total sh*te due to Trucks using it more heavily ?

Was driving home a few months back and got such an almighty slap off a pothole i thought there would be serious damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Never been on a motorway where the left lane (In UK and Ireland) and Right Lane (Continent) is in total sh*te due to Trucks using it more heavily ?

Was driving home a few months back and got such an almighty slap off a pothole i thought there would be serious damage.

Theres a stretch of the Naas Road approaching Kill/Castlewarden that is very bad like that. Several big holes in the inside lane.

passing_side_suicide_bumper_sticker-p128126266651968811trl0_400.jpg

fail

fail

Think its for people that drive on the right :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

In fairness, the amount of people that don't know how to merge onto a motorway properly in Ireland is amazing, the M50 seems to have the worst offenders. Some people are so dangerous in the way they do it. I'm guilty of the centre lane offence, but to be honest most of the time it actually feels safer. Left lane's give too many near death experiences in this country and they're full of potholes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

fail

It's a sticker placed on the rear of vehicles.

It's a sticker placed on the rear of vehicles.

On the rear of Left hand drive Vehicles.. Overtaking someone on the left in Ireland would be suicide ! :)

On the rear of Left hand drive Vehicles.. Overtaking someone on the left in Ireland would be suicide ! :)

Unless you are on the M50, where it's commonplace :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Those stickers are mainly aimed at cyclists as far as I know.

Stark wrote: »
    Those stickers are mainly aimed at cyclists as far as I know.

Ah, in fairness its probably not heavy enough to throw at a cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I can be guilty of hogging the centre lane to be honest. I do this because Irish drivers are ignorant and generally have a "f*ck you" attitude to anybody to their left.

So when in the left lane and it's coming up to a point where the left splits off into an offroad they'll not even consider letting you into the centre, indicator or not. So I'll happily move into the centre and sit there for maybe a half mile before the turn if traffic is heavy whether the left lane is empty or not.

What I won't do is use the middle lane when I know the left isn't splitting off, for example from the point where the M4 turns into the N4 all the way up to the M50 junction. There I'll be in the left lane all the way unless I need to overtake.

I don't see that big an issue with CLODs to be fair. Because you've still got that lane to the right to overtake them legally. It's a different story when there's only two lanes and they're hogging the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't see that big an issue with CLODs to be fair. Because you've still got that lane to the right to overtake them legally..

People driving properly have to move across 2 lanes then right back across again to overtake them legal. That's one major problem.

Stekelly wrote: »
    People driving properly have to move across 2 lanes then right back across again to overtake them legal. That's one major problem.

I never said I didn't see a problem with being a CLOD ;) If I'm in the centre lane I'll be doing the speed limit. Somebody who wants to overtake me has bigger things to worry about than moving two lanes to the right, like slowing down.

I'm not asking to be excused here, I'm just highlighting that I wouldn't drive in the CLOD on say the M50 if other people weren't busy ramming up each other's holes and had the decency to let me out *shrugs off back to his utopia*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Irish drivers are ignorant

Having read the rest of your post I agree.

As Stekelly said having to go from lane 1 across to 3 and back all the way to lane 1 to overtake a clod pootling along at 80 kph in lane 2 makes me have a problem with it.

Think its for people that drive on the right :D

yeah, but they're wrong anyway.

Everyone knows left is right :D

• Advertisement

tin79 wrote: »
    Having read the rest of your post I agree.

As Stekelly said having to go from lane 1 across to 3 and back all the way to lane 1 to overtake a clod pootling along at 80 kph in lane 2 makes me have a problem with it.

I don't believe you did read my post though, so thanks for that. I said sometimes it would appear I am guilty of driving in the centre lane because I moved out there very early to avoid unpleasantness later on down the road as the left lane turned into an offramp and I was going straight on. I then explained why I move out very early - because Irish drivers are ignorant and most of them would never let you out and they tailgate leaving little room to move out safely.

I also included a paragraph (really, just two lines underneath my first one) to say that where the above scenario does not apply (the left lane doesn't turn into an offramp in the near future) and there are 3 lanes of traffic you will find me in the left hand lane, as per the rules of the road.

Next time you decide to have a pop, make sure to read my post :rolleyes:

*edit*

My point about not seeing the big issue about driving in the centre lane still stands. On two lane roads somebody hogging the right prevents progress. On a 3 lane road that doesn't happen, but somebody in the left hand lane will have to move across two lanes. This is about as dangerous as moving across one lane unless you move across two in one complete maniac maneouvre. It's more a nuisance than a problem. People who hog the centre lane and go slow (which is a caveat not mentioned by the OP) do grind my gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭sk8board

I commuite on the M50 morning and evening and always use the middle lane more than others because if you stay in the inside lane you never know at every exit if you're going to get caught in a line of traffic, and its too dangerous to try move out from a standing start

as for the right lane, I'm sick of under-taking. So I sit there, or stay in the middle lane and undertake slowly. Lately (sometimes) I put on my right indicator and drive along behind the lane hogger. I look a complete d|ck I guess. Its a habit I picked up in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sk8board wrote: »
    I commuite on the M50 morning and evening and always use the middle lane more than others because if you stay in the inside lane you never know at every exit if you're going to get caught in a line of traffic, and its too dangerous to try move out from a standing start

as for the right lane, I'm sick of under-taking. So I sit there, or stay in the middle lane and undertake slowly. Lately (sometimes) I put on my right indicator and drive along behind the lane hogger. I look a complete d|ck I guess. Its a habit I picked up in Italy.

noone will notice you...the M50 is full of dicks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Same in Cork on the South Link (where there are more than two lanes in some places).
    I don't want to drag this off topic, but like all other bad driving habits (wrong lanes on a roundabout, center lane hoggers, right lane hogggers etc) I just don't understand why the law is not being enforced. The only laws I ever see being enforced are the speed limit laws.
    Morning after morning I see Garda Traffic Corps sitting behind people in the wrong lanes and watching people lane sweep at roundabouts.
    So I say, to hell with this I might as well join them. Join them in the sense of breaking the law and I just undertake all the time. I can honestly say that up to recently I undertook more cars on the way to work than I overtook (in the correct lane).
    Other people see bad road manners everywhere going unchecked and it will eventually rub off on those drivers, just like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

cadaliac wrote: »
    Same in Cork on the South Link (where there are more than two lanes in some places).
    I don't want to drag this off topic, but like all other bad driving habits (wrong lanes on a roundabout, center lane hoggers, right lane hogggers etc) I just don't understand why the law is not being enforced. The only laws I ever see being enforced are the speed limit laws.
    Morning after morning I see Garda Traffic Corps sitting behind people in the wrong lanes and watching people lane sweep at roundabouts.
    So I say, to hell with this I might as well join them. Join them in the sense of breaking the law and I just undertake all the time. I can honestly say that up to recently I undertook more cars on the way to work than I overtook (in the correct lane).
    Other people see bad road manners everywhere going unchecked and it will eventually rub off on those drivers, just like me.

I drive that alot too, and im sick of seeing lane hoppers with no indicators, lane hoggers - and yes I stick behind them for a mile or so, then if they don't move left, I undertake them giving them a dirty look:D, yet most of the time they don't even notice you undertaking them. We are left taking risks and chances because the Guards or Traffic Core are not doing their job properly.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Yes but as we are always told by the driving gods on this forum changing lane is completely safe if you do it right.

There have been so many threads about this already. Its just down to education. Common sense doesnt always switch on with people, thats why we dont get to learn on motorways or at least motorway simulation on dual carriage ways.

Personally, I have never had a problem with these CLOD folk. Its easy to get around them safely. If I can get from lane one to 3 easily there isnt much traffic about. If there is a lot generally lane 1 is always full so it ends up being a lane 2/3 journey anyway. Im yet to be put into a dangerous situation that I cant handle because of CLODS. Having said that though the education needs to be put in place for people to learn how to approach driving on these roads properly. Simple as that.

A bigger problem with our driving is use of indicators for example. Let people stick in the middle lane all they want if they like, but its when they drift from there to another lane with no indication. Roundabout use needs attention too. Much more then centre lane drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I'm not a middle laner in fact I absolutely hate them. But I would say its excusable when traffic is busier i.e. lots of lane changes to overtake slower traffic and turning/merging traffic.

I FIND IT COMPLETELY INEXCUSABLE WHEN THERE IS NO TRAFFIC, THOSE OF YOU WHO DO IT OUT OF HABIT SHOULD WAKE UP AND LEARN TO DRIVE.

I see it every night people joining a three lane road with no traffic and go straight to the middle or indeed 3rd lane. I see the same crap on two lane roads people cruising in the overtaking lane for tens of kilometres for god knows what reason with no traffic in the left lane.

While you may think its convenient for you and reduces your workload please spare a thought for the person who is driving correctly behind you and has to change multiple lanes to overtake you I had to do it many times tonight on the M50 and N4 drive for 2k in the left lane then catch up on 3 cars below the limit in the middle lane not overtaking anyone and no one within a kilometer ahead to overtake.

middle_lane_shot.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bbk wrote: »
    Yes but as we are always told by the driving gods on this forum changing lane is completely safe if you do it right.

Unfortunately , while on the roads you are at the mercey of the bad drivers aroudn you. The less you have to interact with them the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I always undertake on the left. Problem solved.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately , while on the roads you are at the mercey of the bad drivers aroudn you. The less you have to interact with them the better.

I agree but in the context of getting around middle lane hoggers Im yet to be put in danger by them. Though the people who dart out of the Liffey Valley exit on the N4 and race to the overtaking lane while Im overtaking a middle lane hogger is a another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

OP: Solution is simple overtake on the left, you can legally do it if the traffic on the right is moving slower than on your lane.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/good-driving-practice/overtaking.html
    You may overtake on the left when

1. You want to go straight ahead when the driver in front of you has moved out and signalled that they intend to turn right.
    2. You have signalled that you intend to turn left.
    3. Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane.
    I use option 3 on multi lanes roads to overtake traffic who are slowly travelling on overtaking lanes where they should not be there in the first place.

I embarrassed the hell out of them by shaking my head in annoyance at them when overtaking when they do hold up traffic, especially on the road from Nass to Portlaoise where I do most of my overtaking on the driving lane coming out of Dublin while travelling within the speed limit. Imagine people driving at 80kph or less on overtaking lane on a motorway :eek:. It is embarrassing. It is mainly KE and LS are the worst offenders hogging the Overtaking lane while travelling slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

limklad wrote: »
    OP: Solution is simple overtake on the left, you can legally do it if the traffic on the right is moving slower than on your lane slowly.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

bbk wrote: »
    . Though the people who dart out of the Liffey Valley exit on the N4 and race to the overtaking lane while Im overtaking a middle lane hogger is a another thing.

Im not condoning any actions here but, could that be because they're heading to the south bound on ramp of the M50, that is some pain in the ring:D.

I was sitting in the middle lane last night trying to get by a middle lane hogger trying to get into lane 3 but nobody was allowing anyone out or leaving enough space.

There was one idiot in a jag flashing like an idiot who i thought was letting me out but going crazy fast, but he was dishing out justice to middle lane hoggers (including myself at the time) by flashing at people!!

limklad wrote: »
    OP: Solution is simple overtake on the left, you can legally do it if the traffic on the right is moving slower than on your lane.

I use option 3 on multi lanes roads to overtake traffic who are slowly travelling on overtaking lanes where they should not be there in the first place.

I embarrassed the hell out of them by shaking my head in annoyance at them when overtaking when they do hold up traffic, especially on the road from Nass to Portlaoise where I do most of my overtaking on the driving lane coming out of Dublin while travelling within the speed limit. Imagine people driving at 80kph or less on overtaking lane on a motorway :eek:. It is embarrassing. It is mainly KE and LS are the worst offenders hogging the Overtaking lane while travelling slowly.

Facepalm time! :pac:

cabrwab wrote: »
    Im not condoning any actions here but, could that be because they're heading to the south bound on ramp of the M50, that is some pain in the ring:D.

Sorry, my bad. I meant heading west. The other way. But I do agree that N4/M50 setup is stupid. The bus stops for another example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Sometimes there is someone doing like 80kmph in the left lane and you've got to overtake them but then the people in the middle lane won't let you in cause they're blasting past at 3 times the speed of sound. So it feels best to just stay in the middle lane doing around 120kmph. That way you don't need to move out all the time to overtake the 80kmphs and the mach3 guys can overtake you in the 3rd lane.

Advertisement