Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else gaming on 2008 R2 Server ?

Options
  • 23-06-2010 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

Yes, strange one to ask maybe but just wondering if anyone else is gaming at all on Windows 2008 R2 server ?

Specifically, I'm having a couple sporadic problems with Nvidia graphics drivers crashing (and then recovering but it's annoying at times) and was wondering what driver version others are using that they find the most stable - or any other nuggets of genius you might have done ?

For anyone else wondering, 2008 R2 server is basically the server version of Windows 7 x64.
    Long story short, I got burned by g2play.net scumbags who sold me a dodgy Windows 7 key last year which failed earlier this month when Microsoft classed the product key as counterfeit (I got my money back eventually, with the help of a friend in Interpol no less!) but in the meantime I ended up installing Windows 2008 R2 server as I'm still classed as a student due to being part at one stage of on online distance learning college course - and as a student you can get the full 2008 R2 server (Standard) for free from Microsoft's Dreamspark programme.

It takes a little bit of messing about to run the server as a desktop but otherwise you end up with a full on (and some would say more advanced) Windows 7 x64.

Only real issue I've had so far is getting a cheap anti virus, as it's a server really, desktop home consumer AV doesn't generally work so I'm using the free Comodo AV (it'll do for now) which is the only one I've found that does seem to work. That and sporadic crashing of Nvidia graphics drivers, but, that could be down to general overheating issues also, which I'm working on.

Interested to know if anyone else has done the same at all and your experiences ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Looks like I'm the only one then :P
    Oh well, If anyone in the future does end up running Windows 2008 R2 server for gaming and needs some help at all, I'm sure I'll be well versed at that stage to give a dig out if needed.

For what it's worth, if you qualify for student access, the Dreamspark site is https://www.dreamspark.com/Default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Servers don't normally have 3d graphics (usually cheap intel onboard) and don't do directx without some work

:D

This is just the operating system software that sits on top of whatever hardware *you* decide to run it on. DirectX is all fine with 2008 R2.

Yes but the server OS is not designed for gaming, its stripped down and doing this completely looses all its benefits. As well as that, lots of games won't install, some won't run and others will need workarounds to get them running. Besides, the Server 2008 security will just drive You mad. It just seems like a lot of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You would figure 2008 would be good for... you know, running dedicated servers :)

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    You would figure 2008 would be good for... you know, running dedicated servers :)

Yes, great for that purpose, but dedicated servers don't handle graphics, thats clientside only

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes but the server OS is not designed for gaming, its stripped down and doing this completely looses all its benefits. As well as that, lots of games won't install, some won't run and others will need workarounds to get them running. Besides, the Server 2008 security will just drive You mad. It just seems like a lot of effort.

No, I think you've a lot of misconceptions about 2008 R2.
    Some features are not enabled by default (Like desktop composition) but it's just a matter of a checkmark to enable and install them. All my Steam and EA games work, along with world of warcraft.
    There are no workarounds required to run any games. If they work with Windows 7, they'll work with 2008 R2.
    As regards the security, eh, no problems experienced whatsoever.

It's not designed for gaming, but it can be used for gaming once you've installed the latest version of DirectX, which is downloaded free from Microsoft.

That's about all you have to do really, enable desktop composition and install the latest DirectX.

Only issue I've come across which I asked here was regards the latest Beta drivers from Nvidia, which seem to be problematic at times - older stable WHQL drivers are fine though.

With everything on the highest, including shadows and multisampling set at 4x - I'm getting more FPS in Wow on 2008 R2 than I was on Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Dude just buy yourself a legit copy of Win7 and safe yourself all the hassle

What hassle ? :confused: ...and it is Windows 7 really, just more advanced with added extensive/powerful server features if you want them installed.

DiRT2 is also running faster with everything on highest settings @ 1900 x 1200 on 2008 R2 than it was previously on Windows 7, as are a lot of other games.

As it's also completely legit and free directly from Microsoft themselves, I don't see a need to buy Windows 7 at all, which would actually be taking a step backwards considering how much more 2008 R2 can give.

I'm just surprised there's not more people on here doing similar, especially if you're a student and can get the 2008 R2 completely free from Microsoft.

Might be nearly the same, till simple everyday software kicks up a fuss about You running a server os. Its just not worth the hassle, as You can see with Your AV problem.

• Advertisement

A Server OS normally needs a specific type of AV as they're not usually used as a desktop/workstation OS and it would not normally be best practice to place a stateful or On-access AV on a server as it could slow down file/email operations considerably - just something you have to put up with. Besides, Comodo AV (which is free) does work perfectly fine, is well respected and can be used on 2008 R2 as a workstation AV with Stateful/on-access - and I'm happy with it.

Not sure the reasons why you or others are against this to be honest, are you being argumentative just for the sake of it ? I didn't ask for a debate here when I posted, I asked if anyone else was doing the same.

It's a forum, sure and any post is open for debate but if you're going to post at least post intelligent and informed facts rather than uninformed and unintelligent assumptions which have no bearing on actual reality.
    If you or anyone else has an actual legit question to ask about 2008 R2 being used for gaming or as a desktop OS then fire away and I'll answer best I can.

2008 R2 server can and is being used by me and others (though not here it seems) successfully as a full blown and more advanced desktop operating system.
    It's available free and legit for qualifying students from the Dreamspark service as a downloadable image to be burned and of which you also get a free key for the standard version from Microsoft. You can go out and buy Windows 7 or you can get €500+ worth of server software built on the same codebase as Windows 7 for free that can and is used by me and others for gaming.

There's no hassles, it works, it works really well if not better than Windows 7 itself and while you're at it you can learn yourself the ins and outs of the latest server OS from Microsoft if you fancy doing that too. It's a win win situation in my opinion and again, is free for qualifying students, legit and direct from Microsoft.

Its just, I admin a game server that runs server 2008 RC2, I've also got a home server here running 2003. I can see the hassles of a server os as a desktop, its just not what its intended to do, security is tighter, it doesn't come with directx, its a stripped down bare os. I see that it works for You but there will be hassle, install something simple like Skype or Msn and it won't open the ports for You like it does on Windows 7 and will even block outbound

It doesn't dude, I have both Skype, MSN, and a host of other stuff installed as normal and with no problems, including Game for Windows live stuff that I have to use anyway for games like DiRT 2.
    I will admit that some features that you need to click a checkmark on aren't as openly accessible to your everyday average users, but they're there, you just have to either know where they are to be installed or read up a little on exactly what you need to do, to enable them.

The Windows Firewall you get with it, as you'll know if you admin one, is actually pretty bloody fantastic and fairly feature rich compared to what you get with Windows 7 itself. You can create specific and advanced rules for both inbound and outbound traffic if you wish, or lock it down completley or specifically - it's great stuff.

Not sure if it's your own personal 2008 R2 server you're running or a hosted one but if it is a hosted one then it might have GP enforced rules that disallow certain ports/traffic by default - which you would have to tinker with (if allowed by the hosting service) to enable normal MSN/Skype operations but by default it's been fine for me as I've had no such need to lock them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I know a guy who is using it, also got it free as he is in education atm. He swears by it but I have never heard of him having graphics problems like that...... to be honest it just sounds like crap drivers needing to be restarted. Dont suppose you have an amd/Ati card you could test with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭romperstomper

got a spare box, so will install this and see how games run. i regged on dreamspark, is there anything else that is worth downloading?

I do have an ATi 5xxx something lieing around in it's box somewhere yeah but I've put it down at this stage to just overheating in the case itself causing me the sporadic problems which haven't actually happened again since I posted here.
    The general improvement in temperatures recently with the nice weather hasn't helped :)
    The CPU is idling at 37 and Gfx card is hitting 80 under stress unless I up the fan speed - which isn't a good sign.
    I'll sort that problem out first before I blame drivers again to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭romperstomper

other that the glitch, how to you find r2 as a general OS? everyday browsing, media playing, coding etc??

got a spare box, so will install this and see how games run. i regged on dreamspark, is there anything else that is worth downloading?

Yeah loads of stuff, grab it all sure, thousands of euro worth of software there for free and legit if you'll use it :)

But, Visual Studio 2010 Professional is the pick of the bunch I reckon.
    Expression Studio 4 Ultimate is also a nifty one to grab.
    Don't forget to click the Request a Product key button once registered for the 2008 R2 server OS.
    No key needed for the Visual Studio 2010 pro and Exp Studio 4 Ultimate, they're the full products unhindered and no restrictions.

other that the glitch, how to you find r2 as a general OS? everyday browsing, media playing, coding etc??

Spot on perfect so far, no trouble apart from the obvious in regards not all the normal home consumer AV software being compatible (which is to be expected, it's how they make their big money I suppose, differentiate between home user and server operating systems).
    I also have a media centre running on it which my TV downstairs connects too for playing movies directly.

I've yet to delve into the Hyper-V stuff but I'm hearing it's excellent to get into and learn about.

Full Office/Outlook etc., all run fine, no problems at all.

Forgot to mention, if you're at all interested in programming theres a ton of stuff there along with their XNA Game Studio 3.1 for games development on the PC and Xbox360 - which features the following...
    Microsoft XNA Game Studio is a set of tools that allow students, hobbyists and independent developers to build games for both Microsoft Windows and Xbox 360. XNA Game Studio is based on the .NET Framework and includes custom managed code libraries, Xbox Live Support, and Games for Windows Live support to make multi-player game development easier.

XNA Creators Club Online 12-Month Academic Trial Membership –

Coupled with XNA Game Studio, the XNA Creators Club Online 12-Month Academic Trial Membership opens up video game development to untapped creative minds, enabling anyone to affordably build and play their amazing game ideas on Xbox 360™ systems for the first time ever.

The access key below grants access to a 12-month trial membership providing aspiring game developers the ability to develop games for their Xbox 360 without having to pay the $100 yearly membership. However, this membership will not give you access to premium content or services on the XNA Creators Club Online website. To use the XNA Creators Club 12-Month Trial Membership, you must live in a country/region with LIVE Service.

To get started using your free 12-month trial membership, please follow these steps:

1. Click "Get Key" below to get your free 12-month trial membership access key.
    2. Visit the Creator's Club Membership page and sign in with your Windows Live ID.
    3. Follow the steps to complete your profile.
    4. Select "Redeem Code" and input your 25 access code claimed from this page and click "Redeem".
    5. Congratulations! You are all set to begin creating games for XBOX.

So an included 12 month membership for free to a pretty damn cool resource to help learn your trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Its just, I admin a game server that runs server 2008 RC2, I've also got a home server here running 2003. I can see the hassles of a server os as a desktop, its just not what its intended to do, security is tighter, it doesn't come with directx, its a stripped down bare os. I see that it works for You but there will be hassle, install something simple like Skype or Msn and it won't open the ports for You like it does on Windows 7 and will even block outbound
    yeah, I assume it is a cost issue.

Im sure its a little more hassle but then, Its Free. So why not. At least until youve ripped out more hair than you've saved money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Apps should run fine on it, one of the features of Windows7/RC2 is the ability to fake shim the OS check into thinking its what the app is looking for. Its a interesting idea, since you gain functionality and lose the crap that comes with Windows home OS.

Advertisement