Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weever Fish

Options
  • 23-06-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Right, I've been hearing so much about these critters, has anyone actually encountered them?

All the times I've been to the beach just swimming I've never heard of them or been stung. Are they really that common on the beaches and are booties really essential?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

keryl wrote: »
    Right, I've been hearing so much about these critters, has anyone actually encountered them?

All the times I've been to the beach just swimming I've never heard of them or been stung. Are they really that common on the beaches and are booties really essential?

cheers
    Known somebody that was stung by one meant to be very painfull they do exist best thing to do is shiffel in the water spooks the fish and they go.

Also there's meant to be masses of stinging jelly fish around good idea to keep some vinegar in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

got stung years ago, was very painful...I remember getting some treatment of the lifeguards, cant remember, I was really young.. but I remember the pain..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

dave_brent wrote: »
    got stung years ago, was very painful...I remember getting some treatment of the lifeguards, cant remember, I was really young.. but I remember the pain..
    They put you foot in very hot water - as hot as you can stand to cook the poison

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Iv been stung 3 times.
    If I get stung a 4th, I think it will be the end of me surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I was on a fishing trip and was unlucky enough to see a guy pull one in on his rod and grab it in his hand.

Very very very very soar. We actually rang a lifeguard for advice and were about to stop off at an island doctor.

After a long time sticking his hand in hot water he eventually came out of it but didnt look too happy.

I still think peeing on him would have made a better story but the mood wasn't right for such jokes. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

oh they is real alright......... be afraid, be very afraid!!

:rolleyes:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They can sting through booties. They show up in the summer when the wtaer warms up a bit, achill was full of them one year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Some places can be infested with them alright in the summer, got one last year in Inchydoney. It was quite painful but I managed to get back up the beach and got the foot in hot water thanks to the hotel there, it was starting to get pretty bad at that stage. I wouldn't fancy getting stung in the middle of nowhere.

Thought the spine had fallen out but it hadn't, two weeks of hobbling around and pretty moderate pain whilst driving and I called into the doc who removed the spine (after an extremely painful anasthetic injection into my toe, which was nearly worse that the sting to be honest!)

I think they're worse towards the end of summer, and most common around the low tide mark. At high tide you should be safe enough.

I was thinking about getting some insoles for my booties so I shouldn't have to worry about them. I've heard they can sting through booties alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

jaysus in and out the water years and never had one, touch wood. if I get stung this year I am blaming all of ye for bringing this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

They favour the sandy shallows where waves break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I got stung last year too. Just one spine thankfully. Remove spine, immerse in hot water and maybe take an antihistamine. Huge props to the lifeguards in lahinch for helping me out with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brr Something

Just stung by one of these little beauties today down in Lahinch. Right on the big toe, bloody sore. Put in in very hot water with some antiseptic and I was good to go again after 20 min. Still painful but it did help hugely, good job lifeguards again. They said they see maybe 3-4 a week, ouch.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just stung by one of these little beauties today down in Lahinch. Right on the big toe, bloody sore. Put in in very hot water with some antiseptic and I was good to go again after 20 min. Still painful but it did help hugely, good job lifeguards again. They said they see maybe 3-4 a week, ouch.

balls, so they're around then? this will make me paranoid in the water.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They can sting through booties. They show up in the summer when the wtaer warms up a bit, achill was full of them one year.

Did this happen to you? I didn't think they'd go through boots. A little freaked mow alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

Apparently they can break through 4mm booties but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I imagine that having booties on would make it less likely that a spike would get through your skin though.

Nobody likes wearing booties in the summer, but between the weever incident and the fact that I cut my feet up nearly every time there are rocks around, the sensible part of me thinks I might leave them on this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

My friend was stung by 1 in lahinch last year, she was barefoot at the time though

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Surfsmurf

Higher risk on flat sandy bottom, esp at low tide, never heard of anyone stung through booties tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I've heard of them, but never heard of anyone actually getting stung by one. ****, I'm scared to go surf now

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Weever fish kill more people per year than cigarettes and toilet duck combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Surfsmurf

kodute wrote: »
    be not afraid we all share the world if you eat toilet duck, make sure to chew it well and if you smoke, you are a fool and deserve to die by the consequences of your foolishness:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Interesting - do you chop the toilet duck finely and roll it with the cigs or what?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Interesting - do you chop the toilet duck finely and roll it with the cigs or what?:eek:

Thats old skool, the cool kids these days have quack pipes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Thats old skool, the cool kids these days have quack pipes :pac:

Jaysus...left the door wide open for that one.:eek::D:D

Advertisement