Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Head of Tanit l / gold coin

• 23-06-2010 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all,

i'm not sure whether this is the correct forum but wondering if anybody could help me trace a period of time that a coin relates to. I've found a very close match I think through various google keywords searches and forums but you guys might have a better idea... i'm in possession of the gold piece. its quite possibly fake but the story behind it is somewhat exciting and i'd like to learn more about it

i'm just copying and pasting details from what i've found from an auction site:

Stack & Kroisos Collections
    Auction date: 14 January 2008
    Lot number: 2270
    Price realized: 24,000 USD Note: Prices do not include buyer's fees.
    Lot description:

CARTHAGE. Zeugitania. Ca. 270-264 B.C.
    Gold Attic Tridrachm or 1½ Shekel. Head of Tanit l. wearing grain wreath, triple-drop earring and necklace with pendants. Rv. Horse standing r., head turned, on single exergual line. 12.47 grams. Jenkins & Lewis Group IX.382-2. Well-centered. Superb Extremely Fine. (15,000-20,000)
    Jenkins and Lewis note that Group IX, to which the above coin belongs, was struck shortly before the outbreak of the First Punic War against Rome. In addition to fundamental differences in race, culture and religion, the basic underlying cause of the war was that both sides wanted control of Sicily. Carthage had long recognized the importance of Sicily for the control of trade in the western Mediterranean and had been actively campaigning on the island for well over two hundred years. Rome, on the other hand, had gradually come to see itself as the protector of the Greek cities of southern Italy, who viewed with alarm Carthaginian claims of a monopoly over trade in the waters of the western Mediterranean. The proximate cause of the war was a crisis in the city of Messana, which commanded the straits between Italy and Sicily. A band of Campanian mercenaries had established itself by force in the town of Messana and was being hard pressed in 264 B.C. by Hieron II of Syracuse. The Campanians appealed to both Carthage and Rome for help. Carthage responded first, occupying the town and effecting a reconciliation with Hieron. Undeterred, the Roman commander brought his troops into the city, seized the Carthaginian admiral and induced him to withdraw his garrison. This act of agression was met by a declaration of war from Carthage and Syracuse.
    From the Lawrence R. Stack Collection of Ancient Greek Coins

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Along with other things I used to collect antiquities when they came up*runs from some archaeologists hereabouts*:) Small everyday out of context old collection type stuff. Back when I did(about 15 yrs back) the stuff was cheap, remarkably so, as great age wasnt such a big deal it seems. Plus it was very common. Certain items made of certain materials lasts a very very long time and many were made in huge numbers. Put it this way, how many mugs have you got in your kitchen cupboard? Unless you take a hammer to ceramics they will last for eons. Coins are also one of those things, though not of interest to me personally.

The problem is now with the increased interest and the internet especially ebay, there are a lot of fakes about. There are very very very few ebayers I'd consider legit, with all the legal permits and provenance attached. I used to collect old(now classic/vintage) watches and there is large scale fakery going on there. Now a watch is a pretty damn complex thing to rip off and some are very good fakes, so antiquities for the most part are so much easier to fake. The big auction houses and indeed some archaeologists themselves have been duped.

Gold items in one way are easier than most, but at the same time gold being so expensive isnt the usual route for the fakers.

TL;DR? 1) avoid ebay in 99.99999 % of cases. 2) If it looks too good to be true it is. 3) examine why you want to possess such an object. Is it an ego thing? Is it something else? If it's a genuine reason to hold something of great age in your hand then I say OK. If it has little cultural/scientific value. If it's legal and legit(pref from an old collection). Better yet if you can use it still. I once bought an ex girlfriend a pair of 3rd century roman ear rings from an old collection at auction. I found out years after we split that she still wears and values them. That IMHO is OK. Sticking it in a drawer for personal viewing not so much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

Thanks Wibbs. Sounds like you've had a few glasses of wine. :p.........

I'm not intent on buying such an item, its mine already. It has been sitting in a drawer for years and only after a little spring clean decided to look into its possible history / origin.

As a 'so called favour' to an old acquaintance I purchased it from him after he came back skint from holidays in Tunisia for a very small price. He built the story up quite a lot saying that a person (underpaid worker) working in mines or something like that gave him the coin quickly and without anyone else seeing so figurered asking price was well worth the mystery of not knowing whether it was fake or real.

he mentioned that one of his other friends had one and sold it for over 1.5k.......

now i'm not naive but as I said, the mystery of it and of course its weight/goldness and beauty was what bought it for me.

Anyways back to main question, do you think the coin was from this period oif Tanit or am I years out (being stamped out in some little dudes garage 10 years ago :p ).

cheers again in advance.

PP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dunno, maybe try the http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=394 collectibles and antiques forum? They might give you a better idea or tell you where to go to get an appraisal. From what I can see in your photos it's not in great condition and AFAIK the coin collectors are all about that. It looks pocked and corroded in a way which would make me suspicious with a gold piece. Like I say you need expert help on this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

Wibbs wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe try the http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=394 collectibles and antiques forum? They might give you a better idea or tell you where to go to get an appraisal. From what I can see in your photos it's not in great condition and AFAIK the coin collectors are all about that. It looks pocked and corroded in a way which would make me suspicious with a gold piece. Like I say you need expert help on this.

Ahhh. I should have put it in this forum first. Mods please feel free to move this post.

thanks again Wibbs. i'll follow up there . Cheers.

PP

Advertisement