Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords club league race 11 Bog of the Ring

• 23-06-2010 2:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone up for this tonight?
    Nice flattish circuit and warm hopefully dry evening.
    Sign on at Ring commons sports centre 1830-1900

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

see you there - what's the plan? [my plan: not to get horseshoe nails induced double puncture and ripped tyres, like what happened last week]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

Looking forward to it, it's normaly a v fast one. Hoping for a better show than last week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If I get out of work on time I'll be along.

How strict are they on having a club or neutral jersey? The only ones I have at the moment are replica pro ones. hmm maybe I could drop into halfords and pick up a plain one on the way home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

If I get out of work on time I'll be along.

How strict are they on having a club or neutral jersey? The only ones I have at the moment are replica pro ones. hmm maybe I could drop into halfords and pick up a plain one on the way home.

Not strict at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

mc2000 wrote: »
    see you there - what's the plan? [my plan: not to get horseshoe nails induced double puncture and ripped tyres, like what happened last week]

That was fun all right :(

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Not strict at all.
    Lovely, you just saved me 30 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

Looking forward to it, nice circuit. Hope the rain keeps off.;)

Velo Bro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

2 weeks holidays + 1 week in UK with work + additional 4 kgs = lost impetus, fitness and motivation for racing. Over the last week my sofa has been more enticing than my saddle :confused:. Nothwithstanding the fact that I don't like the narrow road in last few km's of the Bog of the Ring circuit, sketchy when all the groups come together.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Currently in London, so no racing tonight

Good luck to everyone who is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

best of luck lads, had this pencilled in for my first race (as nice and flat) but did something to my groin sunday so will have to be next week now or the following week.

great night for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

kinda missin this auld league on the Wens night !!!!! not much goin on down west at the moment! best of luck anyway lads and thanks to the marshahalls and the club for lettin me ride. cheers.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    best of luck lads, had this pencilled in for my first race (as nice and flat) but did something to my groin sunday so will have to be next week now or the following week.

great night for it

Mmmm xs beer so missed sat am spin, now it's wed and can't race cos of a sore groin !

Don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out what your weekend was like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

niice weather nice flat circuit and I decided after being cajoled by a more experienced rider to try the scratch group. Some top A1 and 2 riderrs there as well as an ex-international or two.

The term hammerfest gets thrown around a lot but yeah it was we caught semi scratch 1 &1/2 lasp in out of 5 and then group 3 and 2 in quick succession after 3 &1/2 laps. Personally I wanted to try and see how I'dhold out but thought I did more than my fair share. I stayed in the front 5/6 as much as possible to avoid getting murdered out of the corners. I can see my engie is okay but the bike handling skills of those guys is so much better they stick on wheels out of corners they protect them selves from the wind and when they want to change pace if 's huge acceleration which kills me. I was told to protect myself more by going on wheels to the front and not hammering through which is something I can get away with in an easier group. Wasn't as confident to burst myself and was always trying to keep something in reserve, though not much

anyway when we caught group 2 and 3 we thought we were in front so the pace slowed and a few lads attacked I tried to not be the one chasing all the time and be clever and it pretty much worked. Was near the front fo the end and got 5th or so in sprint.

We never caught group 1 so no points but good race. Will try scratch again on a flat course.

Best fun was watching the reknowned club sand bagger actually go to the frot and the entire group 2 through to 5 all sitting up , he then made a break and again everyone sat up. One guy was so p%ssed off with his sandbagging he had earlier sat up and let both of them be dropped from the group as he wouldn't work.

anyay intersting tough anmd sore race bu always learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

2 punctures in in less than an hour of racing for me tonight, Stamullen riders seemed to be in control of the pace for most of the laps, fair play to Mick Nulty having three goes in a row in the last 5k you could see him winding it up each time only and only few dared to chase him.

Rough idea of results anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

shaungil wrote: »

Best fun was watching the reknowned club sand bagger actually go to the frot and the entire group 2 through to 5 all sitting up , he then made a break and again everyone sat up.

I had to skip a lap due to puncture, when I rejoined I thought it would be unfair to contribute :p from where I was seated I think the whole of group 4 were sandbaggin!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We never caught group 1 so no points but good race. Will try scratch again on a flat course.

Don't tell me the Lion of Fingal was in the mix! A great result for those in Group 1, but how can the rest of you ever live it down (with hindsight, I'm glad I missed this one!)

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't tell me the Lion of Fingal was in the mix! A great result for those in Group 1, but how can the rest of you ever live it down (with hindsight, I'm glad I missed this one!)

Darren McMahon won
    LBD was 4th
    The Lion of Flanders roared over the line in 5th

I was in group 1. I convinced them to put me in it as it was my first race.:D Didn't really intend to contest the sprint as I was cramping up badly but people started going backwards on the rise and I got 3rd. Hooray. Some chap with 189 on his back probably did most of the work. It was a nice introduction to racing for me. Need to train a lot more though. Onwards and upwards.

I was in group 1. I convinced them to put me in it as it was my first race.:D Didn't really intend to contest the sprint as I was cramping up badly but people started going backwards on the rise and I got 3rd. Hooray. Some chap with 189 on his back probably did most of the work. It was a nice introduction to racing for me. Need to train a lot more though. Onwards and upwards.
    Congratulations on a great result in your first race Pete - however given you were over 20% faster than me at goldsprints I think you should get an automatic promotion to Group 3 next week:D

Beasty wrote: »
    Congratulations on a great result in your first race Pete - however given you were over 20% faster than me at goldsprints I think you should get an automatic promotion to Group 3 next week:D

I guarantee I would be 20% slower than you in a TT. so lets settle at group 2. Who is the lion of Fingal?

• Advertisement

Who is the lion of Fingal?

Some say he his bones are pure carbon and he has Teflon containing blood coursing through his veins.

Some say he his bones are pure carbon and hhe has teflon containing blood coursing through his veins.
    Does he have a rather unique pedalling style?

was in group 2 tonight - was racing with IVCA Vets last night so legs a bit tired [getting the excuses in early ;)] we started off and continued quite strong, but we were a bit all over the shop and not terribly organized tonight. Some very strong lads did some quite strong turns, but there was gaps opening up now and again and it meant the momentum wasn't as smooth as it had been in some other races.

we were caught by all the other groups [i think they'd all come together at that stage] after 3 1/2 laps, and the pace sky-rocketed. Especially after we turned back onto the main road again out of that hairpin corner, real nice sprint-till-you-puke effort out of it when you're a bit toward the back. A few got shelled at that point. Then turn off the main rd, onto the first hill, bunch really lined out at that stage, then onto the drag upto the main road - big line out again, couldn't hold onto it here, elastic broken, sat up, finished it out - good workout so happy with that.

@RobFowl - what happened to your bike there? your freewheel sounded like it was going to explode :eek:

@RobFowl - what happened to your bike there? your freewheel sounded like it was going to explode :eek:

Making very disturbing noises all night got so bad I packed. Seems to be loose but can't see why. Near impossible to ride on (my excuse anyway !) and when I stopped literally thought it was coming apart. Trip to LBS in the morning.

Good to see Darren win though !

Does he have a rather unique pedalling style?
    I suspect that may be his attempt to disguise the "Cancellara-style" motor within his frame (I mean his frame, not his bike's!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Pete. Very well done in popping the cherry.
    Congrats on the placing - must be down to that live chicken you sacrificed.
    I hope to make it out for a few races when I get back from hols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Making very disturbing noises all night got so bad I packed. Seems to be loose but can't see why. Near impossible to ride on (my excuse anyway !) and when I stopped literally thought it was coming apart. Trip to LBS in the morning.

Good to see Darren win though !

It sounded like loose sprockets rattling on the freewheel. Similar problem with my own bike last year. Solved it by putting a spacer on the freewhell which allowed me to tighten the lock ring a bit more.

Mmmm xs beer so missed sat am spin, now it's wed and can't race cos of a sore groin !

Don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out what your weekend was like ;)

If only RF, if only!! will prob miss the tour of louth now snday too:(

Good race indeed, I was quite surprised we stayed away on that circuit as it's quite a fast lap. Is that the norm for the Bog of The Ring circuit? (Scratch not to catch all the groups)

Mr 189 is a horse of a man and kept us going. Anyone know what the circuit is like for next week? Is there a climb on it?

Velo Bro!

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    It sounded like loose sprockets rattling on the freewheel. Similar problem with my own bike last year. Solved it by putting a spacer on the freewhell which allowed me to tighten the lock ring a bit more.

Spot on 07Lapierre that was exactly the problem.
    Seemed to have come loose at the start of the race and got worse as it went on.
    Got chain/blocked checked too but seems to have just come loose.

Velo Bro wrote: »
    Anyone know what the circuit is like for next week? Is there a climb on it?

Velo Bro!

Yes, you could say there is a climb or two or three or even more on it :eek: - it's a bit of an aul' savage course - take a look at the last thread on it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055928293

Also, note it's the club champs so only Swords CC members can ride.

Great to see Darren take a win last night as well.

@RobFowl - did you have to put in a spacer as suggested by 07LaPierre [great spot 07LaPierre], or did you just tighten up the lock ring? I ask because from time to time I can hear a bit of rattling from my freewheel [I think], especially last night on that bloody main road surface, although that might have been the bones just gettin' a good shaken on that particularly un-velvety stretch of tarmac

especially last night on that bloody main road surface, although that might have been the bones just gettin' a good shaken on that particularly un-velvety stretch of tarmac

That is some stretch of road alright, there is one tiny strip in that road that is actually cycleable on, unfortunately its near the middle of the road. i usually just let the cars beep at me and still use it when im on my own

we caught group 3 and 2 together nearly 3 &1/2 laps in and the car was ahead so no-one presumed to ask whether there was anyone in front.

Pace eased off at that stage. Not sure how far leaders were ahead and whether we'd have caught them but I think it's good to see a few different faces placing and gives an incentive to everyone in the various groups.

Re Lion of Fingal they say is blood is molten lard and his bones are cystallised toffee.

Yes, you could say there is a climb or two or three or even more on it :eek: - it's a bit of an aul' savage course - take a look at the last thread on it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055928293

Also, note it's the club champs so only Swords CC members can ride.

Great to see Darren take a win last night as well.

@RobFowl - did you have to put in a spacer as suggested by 07LaPierre [great spot 07LaPierre], or did you just tighten up the lock ring? I ask because from time to time I can hear a bit of rattling from my freewheel [I think], especially last night on that bloody main road surface, although that might have been the bones just gettin' a good shaken on that particularly un-velvety stretch of tarmac

Put a spacer in and that sorted it out completely. PS Club champs is open to all this year but only first Swords rider will be club champ.AFAIK.
    07Lapierre might comfirm that.

Re Lion of Fingal they say is blood is molten lard and his bones are cystallised toffee.

Also his savage sprint is bionic (only in real time).

Beware though shaungil he manages to ride a bike even dirtier than yours......

• Advertisement

Put a spacer in and that sorted it out completely. PS Club champs is open to all this year but only first Swords rider will be club champ.AFAIK.
    07Lapierre might comfirm that.

Nope..changed....Swordscc Riders ONLY.

How many then would you expect in the short course race? It could be an intimate gathering!!!;)

Velo Bro!

Velo Bro wrote: »
    How many then would you expect in the short course race? It could be an intimate gathering!!!;)

Velo Bro!

There's been a good turn out at most races so far. Next week is the Club Champioship, so even more reason to turn up. In short..expecting a large number.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Really enjoyed last nights race.
    The last time I done that circuit the ambulance finished before me so was delighted to finish in the main bunch.
    Looking forward to club championships next week. hope the weather holds out!
    Never noticed before but is it me or was there a bigger 1st group? Was in group 2 myself which always seems bigger except for last night? Some pretty decent machines in the 1st group last night aswell, some of the wheels on show would be more dollar than my car!!
    Overall great night. & apologise but can't forget to mention the soccer. Come on England!!!:):D;)

I think there was 13 in the first group to start with, I believe it ended up with 10 at the finish.

There were a few lads working regularly at the front which helped keep us away, also a couple of attacks when the pace slowed. When I say attack I mean jump up the road about 15m and then die and wonder why, why, why did I leave the lovely wheel I was sitting behind!!:(

Great to be back doing some racing!:D

Velo Bro!

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »

Just checked the lock ring on the block and sure enough it was loose, I was able to tighten it a good bit more. I know there's a spacer in there already between the 1st sprocket of the block and the wheel as I remember putting it on when I put the cassette last year - the lock ring must have worked loose in the interim.

Thanks again 07LaPierre - chapeau as they say on the aul' Eurosport :cool: [dey do say da' do' don't dey say da']

Looking forward to club championships next week. hope the weather holds out!
    Never noticed before but is it me or was there a bigger 1st group? Was in group 2 myself which always seems bigger except for last night? Some pretty decent machines in the 1st group last night aswell, some of the wheels on show would be more dollar than my car!!
    Overall great night. & apologise but can't forget to mention the soccer. Come on England!!!:):D;)
    +1 on the England bit!!

Most races this year there have probably only been 5 or 6 in Group 1, and I have sometimes felt a bit sorry for them as they have not had many to share the workload - if they had 13 or so last night this clearly worked to their advantage. I've heard some will get promoted to Group 2, although I don't think it matters next week, as Groups 1 and 2 will be in the B race and the other 3 Groups in the A race.

Clearly we will lose the non-Swords riders for the club championships, but there should still be well over 20 in the B race if most of those who normally turn up in Swords jerseys come along (not sure if I can make it, as I will be heading back from Disneyland Paris on Wednesday!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

So, Beasty, if you do make it back should we expect to see you in a Mickey mouse or Goofy jersey?

Beasty apparently that disneyland is a bit of a mickey mouse operation.........

bcmf wrote: »
    So, Beasty, if you do make it back should we expect to see you in a Mickey mouse or Goofy jersey?
    OK Tweedle Dee and Tweedle bleedin' Dum - Bring your shades as I may be donning some "special" gear for my next Swords race

bcmf - are you going to do any racing this year?

Poor......very poor

@ Beasty I may do one of the bog circuits but apart from that.... no.

Advertisement