Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NOOB!

• 23-06-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭

So i just put a deposit on the new X box. I've been thinking about getting the system for a while now, well since Mass Effect and Splinter cell didn't come out for PS3.

I'm just wondering what else i will need to get me up and running HDMI cables etc. I've heard that you need to buy quite a few peripherals for the system, is this true?

And of course a few recomended games please, no multiplatform titles as i probably have it on my PS anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The new one should have everything you need out of the box, with the exception of a hdmi cable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

A Live subscription and some Billy Bucks - some pretty fun games on the marketplace that you may not have had on PSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Depends on what type of game your looking for. But here are a few
    Fable 2
    Halo
    Left for Dead
    Dead rising Can be got cheap at the moment and is a good fun game.
    Gears of War 1+2
    Here are a couple of good xbox live games

Battlefield 1943
    Trials
    Chime
    Peggle
    Toy Solider.

Loads more as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Thanks guy's. How come there is no sticky thread for recommended games like over on the playstation forum, it can be kinda handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

You'll want to buy yourself a play and charge kit too for the controller. Or not if you have rechargeable batteries.

Get some Microsoft points. Buy Shadow Complex and 'Splosion Man. Thank me later :P

+1 for Fable II too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

how are you planning on connecting to the internet?

the old xboxs just have ethernet and needed a wifi adaptor

the new "slim" version has this built in

MiCr0 wrote: »
    how are you planning on connecting to the internet?

the old xboxs just have ethernet and needed a wifi adaptor

the new "slim" version has this built in

I have the PS running through a wireless router. Is this possible with the new Box?

Should probably have asked dude in shop these questions,but i know you guy's love being helpful;)

weiland79 wrote: »
    I have the PS running through a wireless router. Is this possible with the new Box?

Should probably have asked dude in shop these questions,but i know you guy's love being helpful;)

The new Xbox model will have Wireless built in, older models need a peripheral. If it's the new Slim/short model you're getting you're grand for connecting to wirelessly.

It's probably asking a bit much but, will the PS headset work as it is essentially just a fancy phone headset?

Oh yeah it is the S model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

It's probably asking a bit much but, will the PS headset work as it is essentially just a fancy phone headset?

Oh yeah it is the S model

No it won't but a headset should come with the Xbox.

• Advertisement

Groovy!

Someone already mentioned a Gold Live membership for playing online but didnt stress not to buy it from the xbox directly as they are half the cost if you buy from some websites ;)

Never give the xbox the credit card lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I guess games wise it will be mainly the exclusives you missed

Gears of war 1 & 2
    Mas effect 1 & 2
    Splinter cell conviction.
    Frontlines (its old around 2008 but i thought it was pretty dam good only finished it last week still stands up to most other shooters)

That would be a good start, a play and charge kit. The new slim xbox pretty much comes with everything you really need everything else is just personal preference if you don't like the wired head set there is a wireless one.

PM sent about where you can pick up a few accessories and games cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

If your into racing games Forza 3 is a must buy. Also recommend Alan wake

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The proper Orange Box FTW. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Also download the sky player as its brilliant and free aslong as you know somebody with a sky box! Extreamely handy for watchin premier league football and movies on demand!
    Oh and get a turtle beach headset!

If you're getting a Turtle Beach headset get the PX21s as you can use them with both the PS3 and 360.

HI guy's i just have a question about online. It's really more to do with downloading patches etc.

I don't really want to pay to play online as i'm happy enough to play on my PS3, but will i be able to download patches without paying for the service.

Thanks. Ian...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

HI guy's i just have a question about online. It's really more to do with downloading patches etc.

I don't really want to pay to play online as i'm happy enough to play on my PS3, but will i be able to download patches without paying for the service.

Thanks. Ian...

Yip A silver account is free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Thanks guy's. How come there is no sticky thread for recommended games like over on the playstation forum, it can be kinda handy.

Because everyone has a different opinion on which games are good/bad.
    It's all about taste.

That and there are sites like metacritic.com which will give you the best games based on the "average" review score from multiple sites magazine.

There ye go .. http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/

Rough guide to good games I suppose

Rank / Game Title / Average Review Score

All-Time High Scores
    1 Grand Theft Auto IV 98
    2 BioShock 96
    3 Orange Box, The 96
    4 Mass Effect 2 96
    5 Red Dead Redemption 95
    6 Gears of War 94
    7 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The 94
    8 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 94
    9 Halo 3 94
    10 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 94
    11 Braid 93
    12 Street Fighter IV 93
    13 Fallout 3 93
    14 Gears of War 2 93
    15 Guitar Hero II 92
    16 Rock Band 92
    17 Forza Motorsport 3 92
    18 Batman: Arkham Asylum 92
    19 Rock Band 2 92
    20 Super Street Fighter IV

• Advertisement

Agree that opinions vary, for example there's a couple on that list that should be nuked from orbit imo. Such as the Modern Warfare and halo games, Fable 2 not being there in top 20 is a surprise :confused: as is Bioshock's absence to name but 2 , wait no it is, new glasses for me please. but shadow complex is also missing.

I might regret this question but here goes anyway.

Gears or Halo for my first xbox fps.

Runs away and hides behind the couch........

I might regret this question but here goes anyway.

Gears or Halo for my first xbox fps.

Runs away and hides behind the couch........

Well Gears is techincally not a FPS so...:P

Either way I'd go with Gears. I enjoyed it more than Halo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Suit Up

Gears for me too.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Well Gears is techincally not a FPS so...:P

Either way I'd go with Gears. I enjoyed it more than Halo.

It's not?

It's not?

It's a cover based 3rd person shooter like Uncharted.

EDIT: In terms of the shooting it's like Uncharted. There's no platforming etc and it's more action-y than Uncharted.

Really? Huh! learn something new everyday, kinda seals the deal then Gears it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

yup and i'll +1 for gears, no pleasure like cutting a locust in half with blood sweat and dignity splattering the screen! :mad:

Dude isn't your name that of one of the characters in Gears? You'll forgive me for thinking that your opinion may be somewhat biased. And any such advice may be taken with a large pinch of salt.:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Dude isn't your name that of one of the characters in Gears? You'll forgive me for thinking that your opinion may be somewhat biased. And any such advice may be taken with a large pinch of salt.:D:D:D:D:D

I'll lancer your ass biaaatch!:D:D And yes I happen to have a namesake in that game pure coincidence! Although it does help with the chicks:cool:

Advertisement