Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned house?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Graces7 wrote: »
    Interesting angle, but the reality sadly is very diifferent if you are reliant on eg Rent Allowance.

We are treated as second class citizens. Really we are. And finding the money for a deposit is often impossible.

Emergergency accommodation often means the cheapest B and B. Losing your whole way of life, pets etc.

It is a downward spiral.

As I said, there are lots of people currently in a similar situation. Perhaps it would be worthwhile contacting the Saint Vincent de Paul, Citizens' Information, MABS, etc. for information on what can be done to help people in this situation. There was a programme on RTE 1 radio during the week which tackled this topic. Two people who were featured on the programme shared their experiences and were full of praise for the SVP who helped them out with their bills when they were in dire straights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

That belongs to the HSE.
    Yes I know that but they don't seem to be doing anything about it, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

convert wrote: »
    As I said, there are lots of people currently in a similar situation. Perhaps it would be worthwhile contacting the Saint Vincent de Paul, Citizens' Information, MABS, etc. for information on what can be done to help people in this situation. There was a programme on RTE 1 radio during the week which tackled this topic. Two people who were featured on the programme shared their experiences and were full of praise for the SVP who helped them out with their bills when they were in dire straights.

The system should not come to this, should it? This is the second time in two years we have faced this; the last time was because of flooding.

All the SVP houses then were occupied and we were left to fend for
    ourselves.

There was no emergency housing to be had. maybe B and B had we been pushed to that; heaven protect us from that.

For the two ( carefully chosen) who had been helped, there are many more who were not.

Ironically we do voluntary work with the homeless so we know the full situation very well indeed.

And it is not an easy situation with the new rules etc and the very real prejudice against RA applicants.. which is what we are up against just now of course.

It is not a question of bills; we are very careful and never in debt, but of a system that takes away all choice from eg old ones, of where we live etc. Of whether we have to rehome our pets etc. ( awful thought and not one anyone should be forced to do)

and SVP are an emergency resource; not a day to day agency. It is the system that works against those less well off all the way.

It becomes a downward spiral. There is no real safety net and resources are very limited.

back to daft ie and th emails!!! Still trying.. and trying.. and trying

And using the experience to write a superb story.

What many of us fairly new to Ireland find hard is the sheer number of houses, sturdy ones, left literally to rot

And I suspect that more than a few have been quietly taken over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

op the fact is its illegal end of story.

you keep coming on here with your sob story your a pensioner , illegal eviction not fair nowhere to go etc

now not to change the topic here but after 40 odd years of a working you dont have any savings to the point your on the verge of being homeless and need to squat ?

now i feel for you but something is seriously wrong with your money management ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

OK: ( working on a story and need accuracy!)
    Feel free.. as a non-Irish writer seeking strict research accuracy? Which I did say at one stage.....

So you said your post here was just 'research' for a book you were writing.
    The mere fact we are threatened with illegal eviction was the springboard for the idea for the story of course, but simply that.

Have to try to salvage something remotely useful out of an agonising situation.. Most writers do this of course, after very careful and meticulous research.....

In the story, you see, the would-be resident knows the person who owns the abandoned property, which is waaaaaaay out in the sticks, and tries everything to find them with no success. knowing that the owner has no intention of ever using or living there again.

So now it's due to you being evicted from a house and you have decided to write a book about your experiences of it.
    The dynamics and interplay of personal relationships and needs set against the inflexible dictats of the law are the basis of great fiction.

( I think you meant no grey areas?)

Now it's a book again...
    Interesting angle, but the reality sadly is very diifferent if you are reliant on eg Rent Allowance.

We are treated as second class citizens. Really we are. And finding the money for a deposit is often impossible.
    And using the experience to write a superb story.

And now we're back to a real life situation...

I'm now a little confused. Has this thread sprung from a real life situation and you're planning to take over a house owned by somebody else because you are being evicted? Are you just doing some research for a book you're writing? Or are you being evicted and have decided to write about your experiences of becoming a squatter?

Either way, I've given you as much assistance as I can. It's illegal to enter somebody else's property. Being a squatter is illegal. If you are in financial problems or have nowhere to go, there are organisations out there who can help you. It's best to seek their advice regarding your situation as soon as possible. They may just be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Is it just me or has Grace's posting style changed completely? I seem to remember her being very articulate and knowlegeable about Irish law..

D3PO wrote: »
    op the fact is its illegal end of story.

you keep coming on here with your sob story your a pensioner , illegal eviction not fair nowhere to go etc

now not to change the topic here but after 40 odd years of a working you dont have any savings to the point your on the verge of being homeless and need to squat ?

now i feel for you but something is seriously wrong with your money management ...

Your tone is discourteous in the extreme.

Many have disabling illness many years and are thus unable to save. I never mentioned "intending to squat" either.

What is it that you need to write thus?

Kimia wrote: »
    Is it just me or has Grace's posting style changed completely? I seem to remember her being very articulate and knowlegeable about Irish law..

I am here; ask directly if you need to.

convert wrote: »
    So you said your post here was just 'research' for a book you were writing.

So now it's due to you being evicted from a house and you have decided to write a book about your experiences of it.

Now it's a book again...

And now we're back to a real life situation...

I'm now a little confused. Has this thread sprung from a real life situation and you're planning to take over a house owned by somebody else because you are being evicted? Are you just doing some research for a book you're writing? Or are you being evicted and have decided to write about your experiences of becoming a squatter?

Either way, I've given you as much assistance as I can. It's illegal to enter somebody else's property. Being a squatter is illegal. If you are in financial problems or have nowhere to go, there are organisations out there who can help you. It's best to seek their advice regarding your situation as soon as possible. They may just be able to help.

All these ??? are sheerly irrelevant really.

Your last statement is wildly inaccurate though of course. Else no one would ever be homeless....

So we have established that although it is illegal. it does happen and indeed the law does give protection by allowing ownership after 12 years..

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The End.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement