Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish army mbt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

That's about the height of it lol. We do have a nice APC though....:pac:

mowag_piranha_iv.jpg
    But yeah, that tank "Scorpion" it's called I think is the main thing. We don't have anything fancy, fancy things cost money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

yea they do
    i really think the army should invest in some leclercs and bradleys

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/leclerc/images/Leclerc_11.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/i/m2bradley19bw.jpg/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

yea they do
    i really think the army should invest in some leclercs and bradleys

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/leclerc/images/Leclerc_11.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/i/m2bradley19bw.jpg/
    God I wish, the Irish army would never spend the money on that kinda thing. But even to have just a few of them would be a real morale booster, if I was in Lebanon or somewhere and knew some of those were about I'd feel a whole lot safer.

If I recall right, the army bought a few jets off Italy or someone years ago, and they are now sitting in a hangar somewhere, apparently they don't work or something. Maybe someone can find a link to this, I can't remember the details, it was awhile ago now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

im wondering does anyone know what the main battle tank of the irish army

I thought the comedy forum was -thataway-...

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

If I recall right, the army bought a few jets off Italy or someone years ago, and they are now sitting in a hangar somewhere, apparently they don't work or something. Maybe someone can find a link to this, I can't remember the details, it was awhile ago now.

First off its the Air Corps not Army and they never operated Italian Jets, Who told you the above????

They first operated UK Built DH Vampire T55 Jets
    Numbers:
    185,186,187,191,192,193,198 (198-ground airframe )

Then they Operated Fouga CM170 Super Magister Jets ( French Built )
    Numbers:
    215,216,217,218,219,220,221, ( 221/3-KE Ground Airframe )

They Operated Italian SIAI Marchetti SF260WE Aircraft too, these were Italian Built but not Jets they are prop Aircraft
    Numbers:
    222,223,224,225,226,227,228,229,230,231,233,235, ( Leased N402FD,N405FD,N407FD )

Who told you the above?? All the above had long careers with the Air Corps in the Light Strike/Training Roles and have long since been retired.

What has that got to do in a thread about Main Battle Tanks which we dont have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

do we not have any thing that can pack a punch ????

This

jav.jpg

concussion wrote: »
    This

jav.jpg

i meant with tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

God I wish, the Irish army would never spend the money on that kinda thing. But even to have just a few of them would be a real morale booster, if I was in Lebanon or somewhere and knew some of those were about I'd feel a whole lot safer.

The Defence Forces would never spend money on something like that?

The DF doesn't have the money to spend on MBT's. It's nothing to do with not wanting to buy MBT's, we merely have a ridiculously small Defence budget.

• Advertisement

very true but at least we have our elite rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

We actually had a few Churchill tanks back in the in the 50's and 60's. They were retired in 1969.

The point is though, we don't have mbt's because we simply don't need them, the budget could be better spent elsewhere.

i really think that the government should re-vamp the army it does need a bit of up-dating is there sidearm still the browning hi-power or did they change it to the sig saur p226 p229

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

i really think that the government should re-vamp the army it does need a bit of up-dating is there sidearm still the browning hi-power or did they change it to the sig saur p226 p229

It's a H&K USP.

then do the rangers use the p226 because i seen them with it ??

http://kildare.ie/defenceforces/ORG/org_images/Pistol_Man_small.jpg

http://www.fianoglach.ie/unitequipment.html

that website is good for irish ranger stuff

then do the rangers use the p226 because i seen them with it ??

http://kildare.ie/defenceforces/ORG/org_images/Pistol_Man_small.jpg

http://www.fianoglach.ie/unitequipment.html

that website is good for irish ranger stuff

They're Rangers; they can probably use whatever they want. The issue sidearm is a 9mm USP.

a right nice

Eh, why are you guys talking about what pistol we use on a thread about tanks?

DylanJM wrote: »
    Eh, why are you guys talking about what pistol we use on a thread about tanks?

Well, because we don't have tanks, but we do have pistols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

the rangers have two roles black and green
    green would be normal army things but better obviously then the black role would be like freeing hostages from terrorists

• Advertisement

green would be normal army things but better obviously then the black role would be like freeing hostages from terrorists

What?! This thread is funny.

IBTL.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Why would the Irish army not buy used tanks , e.g. Leopard 1's from the Bundeswehr ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

delancey42 wrote: »
    Why would the Irish army not buy used tanks , e.g. Leopard 1's from the Bundeswehr ?
    For the same reason they don't buy new tanks. They don't have the budget for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

For the same reason they don't buy new tanks. They don't have the budget for it.

actually they don't have the doctrine for it, deliberately, and purely to please both politicians and the military-phobic public.

the Irish Army is the only Army in the EU that doesn't believe you need MBT's for both peacekeeping and warfighting operations, the Irish Army is also the only Army in the EU that doesn't believe in air mobility, that doesn't believe in Artillery, and doesn't understand what happens to an Army that doesn't have Air Superiority when it meets one that does.

obviously very other Army in the EU is wrong, and the IA has a unique grip on future wars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

No no no, tanks? are you MAD man?

dasterdly noisy things,

green party wont have them, damage the habitat of the rare lesser spotted yellow slug in the glen so they would, cost lots of money so they do, all them tracks and belching smoke and roaring engines?? God, we'd need bigger ear muffs for the lads and gas masks to protect them from the fumes, cant be having that Im afraid...

whats that you say? fighter jets - sure were neutral, we dont need an... whats that? were NOT neutral you say? shhhh dont tell the europeans!!! anyway where was I, damn jets, nothing but a pain in the back side, noisy frightful things that scream around the place damaging the hearing of blue tipped great tits up in the wicklow mountains, frighten the poor sheep...

Did you say helicopters? Good lord someone call the funny farm... what on earth would the Irish army need to be flown about in helicopters, theyre only needed for ministers on important duty, like opening pubs and other such em.. eh... important things yes... the army are trained on their feet man, marchy marchy march, they can get ANYWHERE in ireland in a day or two, absolultely no need for those horrid chopper things, even sounds dangerous, "choppers", probably chop up poor eagles and owls and stuff, couldnt have them flying at night time either, too much noise, people cant sleep....

swords, yes SWORDS!!! nothing like the gentle caress of cold steel, the rattle of sabres at first light, they dont like it up em, cost less than choppers too and scare the enemy more, up the middle with smoke and swords at dawn after a 2 day brisk walk through the peaceful glen of imaal. thats the way wars should be fought!!

The irish will show the rest of the world how its done, never fear - save money too so we will.... :rolleyes:

Thats a brief glimpse into the mindset of todays politicians, lots and lots of sh*t excuses to NOT spend money on something that they simply do not, can not and never will understand, thats:
    what a military is for,
    how it operates and
    why its needed....

sad but true :( The irish army is doomed to forever aspire to heights it can never reach...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why would we need MBTs? I know they are useful away big battles etc, ie in urban fighting, like in Iraq but thats not something we do either.

We had/have these
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FV101_Scorpion

I'm all for having well equipped defense forces, but they should be appropriate to the role.

BostonB wrote: »

...I'm all for having well equipped defense forces, but they should be appropriate to the role.

MBT's would have been astonishingly useful in Chad - little is more able to demostrate your physical mastery of an area that having your 70-ton tanks drive around it with total impunity while possesing firepower barely dreamed about by those one wishes to 'keep in their box'.

the problems the IA faced in Chad - and in those incidents where it could be said to have failed in its mandate - were caused, imho, by a lack of mobility, and a lack of fear of its response on the part of its opponents.

PK ops have found, time and again, that having overwelming force - as demonstrated by putting a fecking great tank on the street - and being thought of as being prepared to use it, are precursors to a successful op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Donny5 wrote: »
    Well, because we don't have tanks, but we do have pistols.

:)

• Advertisement

OS119 wrote: »
    MBT's would have been astonishingly useful in Chad - little is more able to demostrate your physical mastery of an area that having your 70-ton tanks drive around it with total impunity while possesing firepower barely dreamed about by those one wishes to 'keep in their box'.

the problems the IA faced in Chad - and in those incidents where it could be said to have failed in its mandate - were caused, imho, by a lack of mobility, and a lack of fear of its response on the part of its opponents.

PK ops have found, time and again, that having overwelming force - as demonstrated by putting a fecking great tank on the street - and being thought of as being prepared to use it, are precursors to a successful op.

On UN operations it seems the problem is a lack of will to use the firepower, than a lack of firepower. Though I accept that shock and awe and intimidation work wonders to stop things kicking off.

On UN operations it seems the problem is a lack of will to use the firepower, than a lack of firepower. Though I accept that shock and awe and intimidation work wonders to stop things kicking off.

oh absolutely - what matters is whether the locals believe you'll unleash the beast, not whether you will or not.

the Irish in Chad were hampered by not having something that looked intimidating, and was able to move around within the Irish Area of Operations - one could argue that a MOWAG with a Javelin team could rumble past and make a big bang, but it just doesn't do the intimidation thing in the way that a tank does.

what matters it what works, not what makes people feel better - there is, imv, no doubt that humanitarian efforts were disrupted, supplies lost, refugees killed, injured and indimidated, and the ability of an EU battlegroup to deny an area to bandits and gangsters compromised, because of a deep, wide streak of anti-militarism within the Irish body politic.

i hope they are very proud of the consequences of what made them feel better.

Where there not other countries with MBT there too?

Where there not other countries with MBT there too?

the French took some medium armour, but they also had their own fast jets to swan about being noisy in. theoretically the air support was a 'force asset', but guess who's area saw them most...

generally each national contingent has an area of responsibility, and its up to that contingent to police its area as completely as possible - having half-a-dozen nationalities, all with their own doctrines, operation procedures, rules of engagements and national command over-rides operation as part of a single functioning command is usually a complete pain in the arse. some things, like air support and theatre logistics are thrown into a pot and used for the benefit of everyone, but by and large each contingent just gets on with its own area and needs to use its own capabilities to do it.

one nasty event took place less than half an hours drive from the main Irish base - what anybody else incountry had brought with them was pretty irrelevent.

... what anybody else incountry had brought with them was pretty irrelevent.

Their experience of using the MBTs would be relevent.

Why would we need MBTs? I know they are useful away big battles etc, ie in urban fighting, like in Iraq but thats not something we do either.

We had/have these
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FV101_Scorpion

I'm all for having well equipped defense forces, but they should be appropriate to the role.

What role does Ireland undertake that tanks are inappropriate? Let's look at some places Ireland has gone...

Peacekeeping in Kosovo?
    leop10.jpg

Peacekeeping in Bosnia?
    leopard1a5mp.jpg

Peacekeeping in Lebanon?
    PDJ101_wa.jpg

Peacekeeping in Somalia?
    800px-UN_forces_in_Somalia.JPEG

MBTs provide a unique capability which no other asset can provide.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

we dont even deploy our own arty...

Anyway what sane (irish) politician is going to suggest we purchase even a squadron of MBT's, EVEN under the auspices of a overseas UN requirement?

This is Irelands Military in 2010 - like Irelands Military mid celtic tiger... only slightly MORE broke.

What role does Ireland undertake that tanks are inappropriate? Let's look at some places Ireland has gone......

Territorial and home security. I don't think we should have to massively upscale just for peace keeping missions. We can't afford it. Though perhaps some used MBT's would be of more practical use than the PC9's.

so do ireland use u.n tanks when undertaking u.n operations ??

so do ireland use u.n tanks when undertaking u.n operations ??

No. We don't have any tanks of our own to train in. You can't just hop in someone else's tank and without any training.

No. We don't have any tanks of our own to train in. You can't just hop in someone else's tank and without any training.

well obviously

• Advertisement

Territorial and home security. I don't think we should have to massively upscale just for peace keeping missions. We can't afford it. Though perhaps some used MBT's would be of more practical use than the PC9's.

you can make arguments about the utility of an armoured force with regards to territorial defence (and all the miriad of assumptions that such a theoretical exercise entails), but with regards to PK missions the future is pretty clear - relatively self-sufficient national contingents operating within a collaborative framework, with those national contingents capable of looking after themselves should it all go tits up.

those who can't do that, won't be able to go. Ireland won't be allowed to redefine the current trend in EU/UN/NATO peacekeeping just because it doesn't like the look of it or doesn't want to spend the money required.

personally i think the PC-9's - though a ridiculous purchace that the proposer and authoriser should be shot for - could be quite useful in a PK op, fit a decent realtime downloading reece pod, a budget chaff/flare arrangement, external fuel tanks and Hellfire missiles and you have a moderately useful overwatch/ISTAR/CAS platform. you couldn't take it to Afghanistan, but you could take it to Chad, its already been paid for, and its better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Some really good arguments both for and against the Irish Army purchasing MBT's . Lets say we did buy them and they were , say , used Leopard 1's or Challenger 1's - how many would we need ? How much would they be each ? How much would the logistics train needed to support them cost ?

Salivate away at the Abrams but cost alone would rule out Ireland ever purchasing that IMO.

well as far as i know the french army in 07 had 375 main battle tanks which is a fair amount for a large nation

Though not tanks, how much training did the Irish get before using XA-180s, M113s or SKPFs on deployment? The latter two, they picked up in the Congo.

And why has nobody ever taken a photo of an Irish M113!?

NTM

...those who can't do that, won't be able to go......

Makes perfect sense not to go if we don't have the capability, or the means to fund it. The country is broke. Cut your cloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Makes perfect sense not to go if we don't have the capability, or the means to fund it. The country is broke. Cut your cloth.

You've to weigh that against the wasted investment of the DF if they're not being deployed operationally, the stagnation in positions as a result of not cycling through tours and so forth. This is one of those curious areas where your the returns on your investment, to a point, are exponentially greater the more you put in, rather than diminishing.

Every deployment does not require MBTs, even for those countries that have them. Therefore there will always be opportunities, as there has been for decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Every deployment does not require MBTs, even for those countries that have them. Therefore there will always be opportunities, as there has been for decades.

But look at the range of deployments already illustrated where the Irish have served alongside forces who thought them important enough to justify the enormous spend to ship them there. My point was more general though than merely regarding the MBT question. If you cut defence forces spending, you make it less worth investing in overall. You detract materially from it. However, if you increase it, it returns exponentially more the more you do so.

Thats a different topic. But it can't be a bottomless pit. We can't afford even a shallow one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I think it was Manic Moran who posted up a Tank Exercise vid (was it Canadian?) a while ago. I couldn't find it but I hope he will be kind enough to post it again...As to the the ability of a MBT's ability to dominate the ground in a particular area or to prove a point to..the vid Says it all really.

In the words of Basil Brush, BOOM BOOM!

• Advertisement
Advertisement