Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saxaphone!!Help Me Please

Options
  • 23-06-2010 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hey there,so I bought an alto saxaphone and Im finding it impossible to learn because there is no tabs for songs anywhere!I can get a sound first time I picked it up and learned marry had a little lamb but yeah I got bored of that within 5 mins.Any sites anyone has discovered?I taught myself guitar,ukulele and cajon so it's a pity when my poor sax is just lying there!!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭IVRZ

you cant do "tabs" for an instrument like the sax, tabs only work for stringed instruments with frets. Youll just have to learn to read ordinary musical notation. Its easy enough as each note is always in the same place on the sax (much like the piano), unlike the guitar for example where a note can be in 5 or 6 different places. Get a basic primer for reading music and you'll be away with a whole world of music available to you. Best of luck :)

ps this might be a good place to start
    http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_7177_saxophone-notation-fingering-chart.html

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

learning the different scales/fingerings first would help imo any music shop or online site should have a basics/beginners training book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

Okay I used to be able to read notes for the tin whistle so Im sure I can get that....after that is there notes availble free online?I have a book and tutorial dvd but they arent too great!!I'll give them another look:the scales I mean. Im eager to learn Dancing in the moonlight for eg but there isnt any notes to be found!:'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

Thank you for all the responses :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭IVRZ

someone will have it written out somewhere but its good to work stuff out by ear too. Listen and try to play what you hear. Also dont try too complicated stuff for a start, the sax takes time and you cant rush it.
    A little help to be had here...........
    http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?33584-Dancing-in-the-Moonlight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

http://horntabs.net has some but you're better off just learning a song by ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sam C

While it's a lot easier to go ahead and learn some tunes without any lessons, it's likely that there's some problems with your techique.

I started playing alto, with a background in tin whistle, and I taught myself for 6 months. When I finally got a teacher, I found there were serious problems with my technique, which took a while to unlearn. Learning something is twice as hard if you already know how to do it wrong.

Anyway, the imporant thing is your practice routine. What do you practice? You should be doing some long tones, scales, and sight reading whenever you play. It will speed up your progress and make you better at the stuff you want to play. Unlike piano/guitar, you really have to practice to get a good sound out of a saxophone.

If you need a teacher, send me a message. I live in South Dublin, and if that's far away, I can probably refer you to someone.

Advertisement