Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xps 730 case !!

Options
  • 23-06-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

hello

Im thinking off buying a xps 730 case to build my own pc (i love the look of it)

But will i be limited of what I can do when its originally dells or does it make a difference ?

All suggestions welcome :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

hello

Im thinking off buying a xps 730 case to build my own pc (i love the look of it)

But will i be limited of what I can do when its originally dells or does it make a difference ?

All suggestions welcome :)

Cheers

Well you wont be able to change the motherboard, as the case appears to be BTX, which is not a widespread standard so your kind of stuck with what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

so theres no really point buying it !!

no way of changing motherboard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

so theres no really point buying it !!

no way of changing motherboard ?

Actually, just looking it up again, it might not be BTX, I cant really tell though. Some one else may be able to help you more though

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Actually, just looking it up again, it might not be BTX, I cant really tell though. Some one else may be able to help you more though

if it is BTX does that mean i can use it like any other case i get ??

or is there any other limitations ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Are we talking the watercooled or aircooled version? Does it come with the stock PSU?

In either case the motherboard is a regular ATX jobbie in the 730 so (within reason) you can use any platform you want in there ;) Not sure about the PSU, it looks like a regular ATX/eATX unit (the stock Delta is a huge eATX monster PSU!) but I don't know if the mounting is compatible with normal PSUs :o

• Advertisement

pretty sure its aircooled !!

can i not upgrade to a better motherboard than the orginal then ?

yeh 1000w psu :)

Would it be a stupid move to buy this case for the cost of it and the lack i can do with it then ?

(not a gaming pc just want something powerfull)

For what price? And I was implying you can use any conventional-format mobo in there :)

in and around 100 or small bit over !!
    What you think a that price?

o right so then they should be no prob there !!

:)

€100 for just the case I assume? Does it include any fans? I assume it doesn't come with a (working) stock PSU for that?

Solitaire wrote: »
    €100 for just the case I assume? Does it include any fans? I assume it doesn't come with a (working) stock PSU for that?

This one on adverts aswell ....

is this worth it ? http://www.adverts.ie/224951/hardware/xps-730-chassis-with-1kw-psu-and-cables-no-m-b/

• Advertisement

Just a couple of warnings: the cables in the case and PSU are designed specifically for the original mobo so you'd need a load of cable extenders to use the case and PSU with a retail mobo. Also, barmy old Dell decided to build the LED controller into the mobo and its BIOS, so a retail mobo means no (correctly) functioning case lighting :o

o jesus..haha..!!

so realy all im gettin is the case and thats all really !!

What kind of motherboard is in them do you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

In that case its a btx unit so wont really be able to change the motherboard for a better one. Its a tactic by dell to force there customers to buy new pc's rather than upgrade. I wouldnt touch it to be honest.

o right ill just get a custom case alltogher !!

cheers everone for advice!!

WHere best place to get a case then these days :)

deceit is completely wrong... but I concur on the "better off getting a decent retail case" bit :p

ha ill let him reply to that beacsue I don't know which :D

yeh where would you recommended getting one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Yea on a second look solitaire is completely right, it is the atx ones I was mistaken as looked and seen was on the opposite side but it has the slots above the i/o turning the board around so will fit an atx board :o. Would still not buy it though unless you really need that 1kw psu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Joeface

I have done exactly what were suggesting, I have an XPS730 case with none dell parts

It is ATX compatible . There are Some small issues.

limited to 4 harddrive.(not that one really needs more but u never know)
    The Front panel may not mate properly with every Mainboard manufacturer pin out. I had to make a cable to go from my Asus to Dell FP.

Case weighs a complete Tonne . So don't plan on moving it.

While getting side of the case off is simple and it looks like there is loads of room of moving stuff around (cables and the like) It can actually be awkward enough plugging everything in.

Just a few notes ....still love the case , Looks nice.

Advertisement