Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being ripped off - Which Broadband?

• 23-06-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hey,

I've been using the Pay as you go Meteor stick for the past few months - Just moved in renting a new house and cant really afford to go on contract for anything yet.

But I'm being seriously ripped off - Generally I would only check Facebook the odd time, Maybe use Youtube - check mails, generally just browsing. Its €20 to top up each time but I'm finding it's running out every 10 days or so and Im having to top up again.

I don't have cable tv at home either so not having internet would drive me mad.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't think you're being all together honest here. There's no way you can go through 7.5GB in 10 days using Youtube and Facebook. You're downloading something. If you are using it, then you're not being ripped off, because you do use the full amount of what you pay for.

Get proper broadband, there are dozens of providers out there. If you're spending €20 every 10 days, that's €60 a month, which would get pretty much anything you want, so saying you can't afford to go on contract is not true. You can't afford to keep doing what you're currently doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

If you ONLY want b/band UPC have very good fibre b/band for €29 p/m, €47 if you get HD TV pack on top. Don't think there is a binding contract here, could be wrong.

Linky

If you really are paying Meteor that, you're off yer head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

FYI,
    Meteor have two mobile internet plans you can sign up for. The €2.99 a day, which will burn through €20 in a week (but only charges you for the days you use it) and the €20 a month plan (regardless whether you use it every day or not). If you are going through credit that fast, then you are probably on the daily plan, and you probably shouldn't be. The daily plan is only worthwhile if you are going to be using is for less than 6 days in every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Hey, Ha calm down son!!

Honestly I use the internet every evening. I never (EVER!) download anything other than watching videos on Youtube whether it be documentries or random clips ...I'm almost sure it's around every 10 days!

I would understand if I was downloading but I'm not - hence the reason I'm looking for other options!

God why would I not be honest about this??!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Cullen82 wrote: »
    God why would I not be honest about this??!!!

Many people use Internet for getting TV and films, but often won't be forthcoming with that information. If you're not doing this, then it would be almost impossible to go through 7.5GB in 10 days with "normal" usage. A 10 minute Youtube clip in standard def is probably no more than 10MB, and hour would be 60MB, or maybe 100MB at most. 7.5GB is 75 hours on Youtube, in 10 days, it's just not likely.

Something is eating through cap, if it's not you, then find out what is.

Best value broadband is probably UPC, after that Digiweb Metro or Imagine Breeze. None of these need a phone line, so no line rental to pay. The caps are also a lot more than what you currently have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Actually you can use Cap quickly on YouTube. Depends how solid you watch it. The higher quality is over 2Mbps.

But you'd have to watch hours of it every day.

You can even use up Mobile cap just listening to Internet Radio!

128kbps 6 hrs a day for week = 2.4Gbyte!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Alright Cheers I'll check with UPC :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 technonerd

gleep wrote: »
    If you ONLY want b/band UPC have very good fibre b/band.

UPC does not have true Fiber optic broadband, it connects to a fiber network using a hybrid fiber Asymmetrical coaxial cable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Ok - Ranelagh Dublin 6,
    UPC broadband not available on my part of Sandford Road
    Have no active telephone line into the house, so no dsl providers
    Have tried using mobile broadband from 3 and O2 over the last year, but while a t first I thought they were great, I used them for emails etc, posting on boards.ie etc, but when it comes to thinks like Skype, they are so unreliable, keep getting cut off mid call.

So am I right in saying that leaves me with
    Wireless from Clearwire -> EUR 30 for 1Mbs
    Wireless from Digiweb -> EUR 35 download speeds from 5mb to 12mb
    Wireless(breeze) from Irish Broadband -> EUR 55 download/upload speeds 4mb
    Wireless from Magnet -> EUR 50 per month (but you get get free phone calls evening and weekend local and national calls)
    Wireless from Ripplecom -> EUR 40 download speeds up TO 3mb

What would people recommend?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Ok - Ranelagh Dublin 6,
    UPC broadband not available on my part of Sandford Road
    Have no active telephone line into the house, so no dsl providers
    Have tried using mobile broadband from 3 and O2 over the last year, but while a t first I thought they were great, I used them for emails etc, posting on boards.ie etc, but when it comes to thinks like Skype, they are so unreliable, keep getting cut off mid call.

So am I right in saying that leaves me with
    Wireless from Clearwire -> EUR 30 for 1Mbs
    Wireless from Digiweb -> EUR 35 download speeds from 5mb to 12mb
    Wireless(breeze) from Irish Broadband -> EUR 55 download/upload speeds 4mb
    Wireless from Magnet -> EUR 50 per month (but you get get free phone calls evening and weekend local and national calls)
    Wireless from Ripplecom -> EUR 40 download speeds up TO 3mb

What would people recommend?

We will give you free install and we will also manage the install process. Magnet are the only uncontended ADSL2+ providers on the Rathmines (which serves the Ranelagh area) exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

We will give you free install and we will also manage the install process. Magnet are the only uncontended ADSL2+ providers on the Rathmines (which serves the Ranelagh area) exchange.

thanks Rory for the feedback,
    With all due respect, it would have been of more help had you informed me that while it says the cheapest broadband says EUR 49.99 here(Magnet Foce 5)
    the cheapest broadband that Magnet have is EUR 39.99 here (Magnet Choice 5)
    I feel in hindsight I did Magnet a dis-service in my list of services/price above in my comparison.

But when you say installation, in a house that has no telephone line (are you saying that you will install a telephone line or what do you mean by installation)? Also are you talking about Magnet Foce 5 or Magnet Choice 5? Or will you install a co-axial cable from an exchange like that of UPC or from a receiver on the chimney like Digiweb which then connects to an internal modem?

thanks Rory for the feedback,
    With all due respect, it would have been of more help had you informed me that while it says the cheapest broadband says EUR 49.99 here(Magnet Foce 5)
    the cheapest broadband that Magnet have is EUR 39.99 here (Magnet Choice 5)
    I feel in hindsight I did Magnet a dis-service in my list of services/price above in my comparison.

But when you say installation, in a house that has no telephone line (are you saying that you will install a telephone line or what do you mean by installation)? Also are you talking about Magnet Foce 5 or Magnet Choice 5? Or will you install a co-axial cable from an exchange like that of UPC or from a receiver on the chimney like Digiweb which then connects to an internal modem?

Magnet Choice 5 is a fibre service, so unless you live in a house in a new fibre estate in either Dublin or Laois you will not be able to get the choice pack.

The service for the majority of our customers comes down the phone line (we use different equipment at the exchange) and as such an installation would mean setting up a new DSL line and port in your home, in selected areas this is free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭DA365

Sorry to jump in on this thread but Im in the same boat as the OP.

Do you guys provide service in Dublin 18 Rory?

DA365 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in on this thread but Im in the same boat as the OP.

Do you guys provide service in Dublin 18 Rory?

We do in some, but not all areas. Can you PM me and I can check?

Advertisement