Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2

Options
  • 23-06-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭

I haven't played Crysis. In fact I never heard anything about it when it first came out. Then yesterday I see this trailer of what appears to be a muscular robot standing quietly in a deserted New York with helicopters carrying soliders flying over. They are then suddenly attacked by red eyed aliens, and when they surround the crashed helicopter the sole survivor uses a grenade to blow it up and kill them.

I looked it up on Wikipedia and the game scored a 98% review from PC Gamers, the highest vote they have given any game other than Half Life 2.

Was just wondering what other peoples views on the game were and if its really worth getting??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Crysis got 98% from PcGamer? And here i was thinking they were good reviewers of games. No way it was as good as Half Life 2. Crysis was a good game, that gets almost ruined by shoddy aliens half way through. As a graphical benchmark, it might be worth 98% though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Hmmm don't know about 98% either, and would agree with the stupid aliens. I will say though that it was a lot more enjoyable on my second play through. Crysis warhead was also good but a little short. I'm looking forward to playing the console version of Crysis 2 (3)???

Here's a link to a thread i started a while back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055842466

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Has it flaws but overall I think that Crysis and Crysis Warhead were good games that I personally really enjoyed. No doubt they are not quite the Half Life 2 league but then few games are in fairness. Would say the 98% for Graphics and about 80- 85% for gameplay would be a more reasonable assessment.

From what I have seen thus far I expect Crysis 2 to be well worth a purchase.

Its daunting to think how powerful your PC is going to have to be since Crysis is still used as a marker for testing whether or not a machine is in anyway useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Its daunting to think how powerful your PC is going to have to be since Crysis is still used as a marker for testing whether or not a machine is in anyway useful.

Well Crysis was designed specifically for the PC, so they could use crazy hardware that most people didnt even have but Crysis 2 is also on the PS3 and Xbox so it would probably have even less requirements than Crysis 1. Which i would be greatly in favour of as the requirements for Crysis were just plain silly at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Spunge wrote: »
    Well Crysis was designed specifically for the PC, so they could use crazy hardware that most people didnt even have but Crysis 2 is also on the PS3 and Xbox so it would probably have even less requirements than Crysis 1. Which i would be greatly in favour of as the requirements for Crysis were just plain silly at the time.

I'd say the requirements would be more along the lines of far cry 2 as that was designed for bought and still looked pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Spunge wrote: »
    While the tech may be available on the consoles that doesn't stop the PC version from being far more scalable. Fact of the matter is, it'll look better than Crysis 1 and still kill the console versions.
    deceit wrote: »
    I'd say the requirements would be more along the lines of far cry 2 as that was designed for bought and still looked pretty good.
    Far Cry 2 was made with a different engine (Dunia) though so it's not the best comparison. Look at Metro 2033, the engine was designed for both PC and 360 yet the former version looked stunning on a beefy machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

gizmo wrote: »
    While the tech may be available on the consoles that doesn't stop the PC version from being far more scalable. Fact of the matter is, it'll look better than Crysis 1 and still kill the console versions.

Far Cry 2 was made with a different engine (Dunia) though so it's not the best comparison. Look at Metro 2033, the engine was designed for both PC and 360 yet the former version looked stunning on a beefy machine.

But Crytek have already said if it doesn't work on the 360 it won't be going into any version of the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    But Crytek have already said if it doesn't work on the 360 it won't be going into any version of the engine.
    What are you referring to? Crysis 1? Well of course, the first game was developed with the first version of the engine. Warhead was subsequently released with optimisations which lowered the requirements needed without compromising on the visual quality.

That being said, Crysis 2 is being developed on a new engine which has been built with the consoles in mind so it will run just fine. On top of that, the more open world nature of the first game has been replaced with a more linear structure, further reducing the requirements. From the tech demos seen so far, the visuals are still nearly on par with the original however.

What I was referring to though, was how it would compare on the PC and, quite obviously, Crysis 2 will look better than the original in this respects and still be far better on the PC due to it's scalable nature.

Digital Foundry did a great writeup on how Crytek were pulling it off and it's certainly well worth reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 asmaraa

I have Crysis and unless you have a computer capable of playing this game on High settings then you shouldn't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've seen an early demo of it running on 360 and it looked as good if not slightly better than the first when I played on my own PC at home (which I'll admit isn't a monster, but played Crysis quite well with plenty of visual bling).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

gizmo wrote: »
    On top of that, the more open world nature of the first game has been replaced with a more linear structure, further reducing the requirements.

Nnoo! I loved that about the first one, completing a part the way I want to, not because thats the way the rails go. How much of a compromise are they making relative to rails/open world?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nnoo! I loved that about the first one, completing a part the way I want to, not because thats the way the rails go. How much of a compromise are they making relative to rails/open world?

Crytek have said that much like the the first game there are a number of checkpoints, how you get to them is is pretty well completely up to you. Of course there is no doubt that the total area will be smaller than the original game, however. However there will be much more vertical freedom by virtue of the city landscape. Whether this will be an adequate substitute remains to be seen I suppose, I think the key for me will be whether of not the AI is clever enough to make good use of the additional dimension.

Still I am reasonably hopeful they can pull it off well, nothing I have seen so far of the game is making me worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

98% for shiny graphics which can still bring PCs to their knees
    60% for the mediocre game hidden away behind all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

ok Everyone thanks for all the suggestions....I've decided NOT to buy Crysis 2 but I have decided to make my laptop more powerful and buy Half-Life 2 :)

Brendog wrote: »
    ok Everyone thanks for all the suggestions....I've decided NOT to buy Crysis 2 but I have decided to make my laptop more powerful and buy Half-Life 2 :)

Harsh, I would wait for a few reviews at least :p. It won't even be released until at least late Autumn(rumoured) if not Christmas.

HL2 will a great purchase though, in fact I would get the entire Orange Box if I were you. Can be got for less than 20 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Brendog wrote: »

Crysis 2 isn't out for a good while yet by the way, Crysis and the standalone expansion Crysis Warhead must be what you're thinking of...

I'd buy the Orange box on steam if I were you, absolutely fantastic value for money!! (It includes HL2, Episodes 1 & 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2)

Advertisement