Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remember the flooding of 2009?

• 23-06-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭

I know, I know...The sun does wonders on memories of bad weather :cool:

I'm looking to put together a collection of photographs to document the flooding of Nov/Dec 2009.

I've visited this thread and checked out pix.ie and flickr. Loads of photos out there it seems.

If anyone would like to submit their shots, please pop in here or pm me.

Or in anyone has ideas as to where else to I should be looking, I'm always listening :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be an idea to explain the purposes of your collection; in the absence of any other info, people might be unwilling to help if they are afraid your motives are commercial.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

http://www.wix.com/bp_maher2003/Brendan-Maher-Photography

look under portfolio and water mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Left wrote: »
    I know, I know...The sun does wonders on memories of bad weather :cool:

I'm looking to put together a collection of photographs to document the flooding of Nov/Dec 2009.

I've visited this thread and checked out pix.ie and flickr. Loads of photos out there it seems.

If anyone would like to submit their shots, please pop in here or pm me.

Or in anyone has ideas as to where else to I should be looking, I'm always listening :)

submit their pics to what ??? your personal collection ..... or something you intend making money from ?? theres a lot of people/photographers on here that take a dim view of someone trying to make money on their work.... if you are looking for photographs from the floods remember you MAY have to pay the photographers for usage of their images - any unauthorised usage could result in legal proceedings.

EDIT:I'm fed up of people coming onto the photo forum looking for free images so they can make money .... if any photographer finds their image used illegally I will provide finances for a solicitor to take the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

"if any photographer finds their image used illegally I will provide finances for a solicitor to take the case"

Dont be so gay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    "if any photographer finds their image used illegally I will provide finances for a solicitor to take the case"

Dont be so gay

What brilliant and well though out reply.
    One would think that you must have spent year in the study of the English language in order come up with such a insightful and original thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Dont be so gay[/QUOTE]

You know what they say takes one to know one:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

PCPhoto wrote: »
    EDIT:I'm fed up of people coming onto the photo forum looking for free images so they can make money ....
    wait and give the guy a chance to explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

have no problem waiting to see the OPs response - but there have been a number of threads in the last couple of months where someone comes in here asking for images...so they can make something ...to sell !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

PCPhoto wrote: »
    have no problem waiting to see the OPs response - but there have been a number of threads in the last couple of months where someone comes in here asking for images...so they can make something ...to sell !!

Ah but it's only a couple of photos, what's the big deal?? It's not as if you make your living out of it......... oh wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

col.in.Cr is on holiday.

The rest of you can pipe down about his post now.

As for the OP, a few more practical details regarding your motivation for this collection would be beneficial. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Left

Wow, sorry to keep everyone waiting. What I love best about boards.ie is the variety of people :)

I'm still putting feelers out as to what's out there, so my thinking at the moment is IF there proves to be commercial value, than the contributors would be compensated accordingly. I deal with that on a one-to-one basis.

Having said that I also intend to put a collection together (for print and web) for archival purposes. A lot of people were affected so I think it warrants documenting. The stories and photographers themselves say just as much as the images. That is where the interest lies for me.

I have no intentions of robbing anyone, and although I understand the suspicion, I do kind of begrudge it - mainly because I'm a kind soul. I apologise for not elaborating first and if there are more questions, fire away!

Thanks melekalikimaka for the link. Beautiful shots. I like the "aftermath" theme especially.

who do you think might be willing to pay for the shots?
    the media probably all have their own archives to work from, and would have bought the use for any shots already, and flood photos don't strike me as the sort of thing people will buy to frame on a wall.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

who do you think might be willing to pay for the shots?
    the media probably all have their own archives to work from, and would have bought the use for any shots already, and flood photos don't strike me as the sort of thing people will buy to frame on a wall.

the link i posted the images are in book form, and is selling. theres clearly a market for images from an event that touched so many lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Left wrote: »
    Wow, sorry to keep everyone waiting. What I love best about boards.ie is the variety of people :)

But we are all subject to the same Irish & European copyright law.
    I'm still putting feelers out as to what's out there, so my thinking at the moment is IF there proves to be commercial value, than the contributors would be compensated accordingly. I deal with that on a one-to-one basis.

The trouble with that proposal is that you must have the copyright holders
    permission BEFORE you use the images.

Even with the best will in the world, you can get into all kinds
    of problems if you steal the images first and then agree to
    pay for them later. The most obvious problem is the value of
    the images. What happens if you want to pay €100 per photo
    and the owner feels they are worth €1000 each? Do you pay
    up, or do you run the risk of paying the owners legal costs
    when they come after you?
    Having said that I also intend to put a collection together (for print and web) for archival purposes.

Again, that would require the prior permission of the copyright holder.
    I have no intentions of robbing anyone, and although I understand the suspicion, I do kind of begrudge it - mainly because I'm a kind soul. I apologise for not elaborating first and if there are more questions, fire away!

Copyright theft is a form of robbery, so you can see why people might be suspicious. Obviously
    if you intend to obtain prior permission for each image, or use only images that are licenced
    as free for your intended use, then you won't have any problems.

Some useful info:
    http://www.cai.ie/faq/index.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Left

The only way I imagined collecting these images was
    a.) people contributing i.e. them contacting me
    b.) me requesting i.e. me contacting them

So I don't see permission issues. I said I would be contacting people individually. This will be worked out between us.

Perhaps I didn't make it clear that this was in the planning stage. I imagined some people would request payment (varying rates) and some people would be happy to submit because it was significant to them. I am not only asking professional photographers.

This thread is helping me determine contributors' expectations so thank you everyone.

hbr, I understand copyright. I also know a lot about copyleft and creative commons, and I am searching in that direction too.

Ideally, the end result will be a nice mix.

Correction: I said print and web. I should have specified printed book form. This will have blurbs about the images. I just realized magicbastarder, it may have been interpreted as prints for framing.

Advertisement