Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

automatic gates

Options
  • 23-06-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

does anyone know anything about electric gates i am thinking about putting them in, what are good and bad makes and were do u get them and is there much setting up in them and the cost also.....cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

FAAC, Came, Sea, nice are some good makes. If it cheap, there's a reason

Underground or over

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

There is a good 24 v nice underground system on ebay.ie same system as i put in my own house, wiring and programming is pretty straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 50 MARIA O

Hi,

I had a new electric sliding gate installed last year absolutely delighted with it. They guy who installed it says the sliding ones have a lot less problems than a double opening one. If you have the space at the front ie. double the opening I couldn't recommend these enough I don't know how we managed without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭leoch

its an underground opening out type

You'll have to lay your ducts from your house to the gates, then another two between the piers. The tins will need to be bolted to the piers and set in concrete.
    Have you built piers, if not you can set an rsj in to the foundation and built around it then get a bracket welded to it for the gate.
    Also if you go for low voltage motors they will open and close quicker than mains ones and they can have a battery backup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have a sliding gate in for 6 years now without an issue, there was some civil works required, the motor unit is FAAC and I'm happy with it, i have a part open and complete open button on the intercom phone in my hall, its the only way into my house on foot or in a car so its handy to only have it open a little but to let people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 thebigb

I'd advise against installing your own gates. unless you are an experienced installer they will give you problems down the line and it can end up turning out more expensive then it has to be. theres alot of cowboys doing automatic gates. yes they are relatively easy to install if you know what your doing but people who are not experienced have been installing them for years and when things go wrong you cant get them back to fufill warranty etc. also if you do them yourself and they are not commisioned properly by a brand agent your gates wont be gauranteed. If you recommendation for a set of gates I can give you one. You will get a very good price from most installers these days, the gates will be fully garaunteed and fit properly. Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭leoch

thats ok bigb send me ur recommendation and quotes and stuff how long is the guarantee and where u from i am in donegal and i got a quote from a crowd in cookstown and theres were guaranteed for four years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Autoentry

Hi

You would need to check the terms and conditions of the 4 year warranty. You may require a service contract which could be expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

Have ditec system myself. Find it a great system. Pm me if you want to know more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

hi im thinking about automating my wooden open panel gates . one of the gates is mounted straight onto the gable end of the house so i think the ram system is out of the question. i think the articulated arm is a good option.... any advice have a budget of about 600 - 700 euro:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Autoentry

The articulated arm system needs more room than the ram system. The only option that you have is to use an underground system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If its in the middle of the gable wall, then the articulated arm is no good.

If its two gates, then there's very little hope for anything around the price you're looking at.

what way does the articulated arm need to be when the gate is open?? can u have it fold linear to the wall??underground wont work because the gate is wooden

found a website gatesauto.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BFT Automation

what way does the articulated arm need to be when the gate is open?? can u have it fold linear to the wall??underground wont work because the gate is wooden

The gate begin wooden may not be an issue depending on the weight and size of the gate, you may just need to use a lock on the open and close. If and underground is out of the question because of the civil works involved then the ram option may be the best as the rams would be to a certain extent hidden and not compromise the aesthetics of the gate.

il try post a pic of the problem..not sure how to tho!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H_m3rtM8P0&NR=1 this is kinda the way the gate is mounted ....except the hindges are attached straight onto the brickwork....would u be able to use an articulted arm or a ram operator? the gate does not open fully onto the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

thebigb wrote: »
    I'd advise against installing your own gates. unless you are an experienced installer they will give you problems down the line and it can end up turning out more expensive then it has to be. theres alot of cowboys doing automatic gates. yes they are relatively easy to install if you know what your doing but people who are not experienced have been installing them for years and when things go wrong you cant get them back to fufill warranty etc. also if you do them yourself and they are not commisioned properly by a brand agent your gates wont be gauranteed. If you recommendation for a set of gates I can give you one. You will get a very good price from most installers these days, the gates will be fully garaunteed and fit properly. Let me know how you get on.

hello there

im currently in the process of arranging to have electric gates fitted and while the consensus seems to be that having the arms underground ( in cans ) is better , it costs up on 500 euro more than going for the over ground arms which are fitted to the piers

any ideas would be most welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

underground is hidden, overground is visible. If you don't want any arm on the gate, cable, etc take underground. If You have a dag on the yard, You must take underground because dog hit and damage cable from overground motors ;) Overground sometimes can't be fitted because pillar is to fat and arm don't open full gate because is to short, underground can be used on any type of pillar. Both system is great way to have electric gate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The most difficult part is getting the mechanical part done properly. Electrically automated gates are not that complicated. If gates are properly hung with the axis of both hinges correctly aligned it requires very little effort to open or close the gates. This means less wear and tear on the motor. The same applies to sliding gates, the slide itself must be level. It is also essential to ensure that the correct stops are installed so that the gates open and close at the correct points. I have seen many electric gates where the motors are fighting gravity! Guess what, they don't last. The other pet hate I have are junction boxes. These should be kept to a minimum. Nearly every time a cable fails it is at a junction box. Less cable joins = less failures = more reliability + it looks much tidier

I have found that many of the control units are simply too small to connect properly and not waterproof enough particularly when several cables are glanced into it and intercom gear and perhaps camera PSUs are installed. For this reason when I did this I installed all of this equipment in a polycarbonate surface meter box (IP65). This could be built into the pillar or otherwise hidden from view. I would often install a socket in this also that comes in handy when servicing/working on the gate. This is a nice neat way of ensuring that everything electronic is kept dry and can be easily serviced/worked on.

When using underground motors proper drainage is very important. Otherwise the box containing the motor will fill with water and motor failure is only a matter of time. Although the motors are IP rated they are not designed to be submerged indefinitely.

Personally I believe that the best design is the sliding gate. There are beauty is their simplicity (and only motor), with so much less to go wrong. That is not to say that there are not excellent alternatives.

My least favorite are the overground rams.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BMD

Does anyone have a ballpark price for supply and fit of a decent underground system (not including the price of the gates) in 2012?

I got a few quotes that were around 2000 euro which seems steep to me

Any advice or PM prices appreciated.

2k could be great value, then again it may not. It all depends on what you are getting for your 2k.
    What type of kit is being quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BMD

Two types of kit;

1. FACC 770 Kit
    2. Roger Technology Kit

Faac 770 24VDC (battery backup included) with an e124 board, 2 pairs of photo cells and a half decent intercom and keypad (comelit 8241s)
    2k would be a good price for this

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

BMD wrote: »
    Does anyone have a ballpark price for supply and fit of a decent underground system (not including the price of the gates) in 2012?

I got a few quotes that were around 2000 euro which seems steep to me

Any advice or PM prices appreciated.

2K sounds about right for an underground system sometimes it could be a bit lower and sometimes a bit higher.

Any underground systems ive done over the last few months seem to average around €1800/€1900 +vat.

It all depends on the work involved and what gear is used,
    Plus every gate set up is differant...

I know of someone who paid €3000 for an over ground articulated arm kit for a set of small gates .that price is very good for an underground kit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Woodie77

Hey,

have FAAC underground system. Can you advise how to adjust swing on gate, new kerbs put in and are wider than old kerbs, the gate is pushing against the kerbs and I am fearful that it will damage the motor
    Thanks
    Woodie

If its not reversing when it hits the kerb it will be fine . Most of them operate this way ie when it hits the close stop the panel detects the surge and turns off the motor .
    You probably have the limits set in the foundation cases ..( little bolts the arm hits off in the case )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Woodie77

When the gate swings open and hits the kerb you still feel the motor vibrating and keeps pushing for about 15 sec's and then stops, is this normal or does that need adjusting

Thanks

Advertisement