Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

automatic gates

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Are they hydraulic or mechanical ?
    I've seen some gates set up this way .
    If its hydraulic it should be fine but you could change the max operating setting slightly and it will stop them hitting the kerb

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Woodie77

Its a FAAC 770, not sure if electric or hydraulic, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

770 is just the motors, it's on the board where the adjustment is done.
    The e124 board can be programmed with a laptop or using the buttons on the board.
    other boards are adjusted using adjustable pots and dips

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Woodie77

I've attached a copy of the panel. Can you see on the pic where the adjustments are to be one ??

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Agree with the post from "2011". I have worked on a lot of automatic gates and in general the panels supplied are difficult to connect to and dont handle irish weather. I always install them in a slightly larger enclosure with a higher ip rating. Drainage for underground motors is very important and good electrical connections will save nuisance problems later. However a word of caution to anyone installing auto gates. They can pose a crushing hazard to small children as they easily develop 300nm + of torque. i would never fit a gate with just one set of photcell sensors and gates which have torque limiters are safer. There is an EU limit on torque (i cannot remember value of top of the head. ) In my opinion gates brackets shoud be always installed close to corner of gate pillar and open away to reduce chance for child getting crushed. If possible i always prefer to install steel in the pillar construction rather than anchor bolts. Gates are also supposed to be CE marked and comply with the EU machinery directive. If you have gates which physically touch the kerb and exert aforce for 10-15 secs how do you think they would handle a childs foot between the gate and kerb ? My recomendation is fit a gate setup with gate "slow dow" as it reaches end of stoke and have the torque limited. Hard stops should be conatined, typically within underground enclosure to avoid pich point. Fit two sets of photcells and if you can live with it disable automatic closing and have them only close with fob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

Hi guys, i am building piers and running wires for future auto sliding gate.
    I have a question about photocells and stuff

When im driving out do photocells detect this and open gate? If so should i wire these photocells back as far as poss from piers so that gate is almost open when i get to it?

What wire is used from photocell back to piers/gate motor?

Are photocells positioned outside the gate also for safety if gate closing as person/car drives towards closing gate? If so what stops these opening thr gates for everyone that break beam (programming presumably?).

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

You'd be better off using a magnetic loop detector inside the drive that senses the vehicle rather then using photocells as any small kids running up to the gate will break the beam and cause it to open .. Photocells would be used between the posts to detect obstacles and reverse the gate or stop it from closing .when the gate is fully closed the photocells won't open it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Photo cells are there for your safety, you will use a remote to open the gates

should i pre-wire for photocells inside and outside gate? what type photocell wire should i leave for sparks?

Would like photocells to be flush mounted into pier. Can anyone recommend a good type which would be compatible with most gate openers and where i can buy the flush mount backbox for them. I would like to build the backboxes into pier as i'm building it.

Thanks

Yes you should pre-wire for photocells. Better to run all the cables if possible. Run an armoured cable for power to the best location for main control panel. If its a typical set up you will also need telephone cable to location of control panel to location of intercom and also to house. This can be "poly poly" type cable which is more robust. Otherwise the phone cable needs to be in a duct.
    If you want you can also get wireless systems which remove need for phone cables but you still need power and photocells. Also think about at least laying a duct for the motor cables to the contol panel. Dont mix mains and low voltage in same duct.
    The photocells can be got small and neat so not sure if i'd be over concerned with them being built in to pier buts its nice to have cable hid. If its a stone pier they can be a bit awkaward to align but its usually not an issue. One set of photcells will typically be on the pier but dont forget the other set will probably be on their own supports (depends on your exact arrangement).
    The photocell cable should be 4 core 0.75mm.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone.

Do i need to run a wire from intercom keypad location to gate opener to allow keypad to open gate?

Yes you need to run a cable from intercom to gate contol

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BMD

Any tips for attaching photocells to round piers?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

What sort of diameter of a pier are you looking at mounting on?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Outsidethebox

Hi folks,

Does anyone know of a good, established, reputable company who install automatic gates in Tipperary/Munster area?

GRMA,
    OTB

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nultyd

Hi, i have recently installed the FAAC 700N motors with E124 control board. 2 x sets of photocells (Bus 2Easy XP30B). i believe everything is connected correctly. However, there is an alarm (LED constant) and when trying to complete setup i receive error code 05 (repeat setup). Any idea what i am doing wrong?

thanks

Advertisement