Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

focus mares

• 23-06-2010 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

hi,
    Ive bought a new focus mares recently and am wondering if anyone here has one or knows much about them? My problem is the gears i have to change twice to get the chain to go from the big cog to small on the crank(sorry very new to this so excuse my terminology):Dand the rear cassette is pretty noisy down the small cogs on either of the two main cogs on the front... the chain also rubs a touch when on the small cog on (rubs the big cog)the crank.Hope ye can make sense of what im saying:rolleyes: anyhoo have been back in the shop twice, a very reputable shop in the city and the first time they said they would service it and i know they didnt touch it because it was the very same when i got it back and the second time they said its meant to be like that and went on to explain the crossover to me... so i need some technical advice should my gears be acting like this ?? very grateful for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

I have a Focus Variado which is the same spec road bike (probably pretty much the same bike bar one or two things. Anyway, the gear shift is perfectly smooth on it. Both bikes have Shimano 105's. Everything works perfectly so I would imagine that there is something wrong with the bike they sold you. Bring it back again and don't take any crap from them is all I can say. It's certainly not supposed to be like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Even a double has three positions for the front mech. When in the big ring you can allow the mech to move a little closer to the bike to allow you to use some of the bigger cogs (this is called trimming - not all of the cogs though, that would be crossing, which it sounds like the shop warned you of.

It sounds like the gears just need to be tuned. The shop should be able to do this for you, but it's really something that anyone who owns a bike should be able to do for themselves because it's something that is going to have to be done every now and then anyway. Cables stretch.

There are plenty of videos on youtube demonstrating how to adjust your gears. It's all about barrel-adjusters and limit screws. Take and hour and figure it out, it will save you a lot of time in the long run.

Advertisement