Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well done USA!

• 23-06-2010 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭

Since there was no match thread on the USA v Algeria game i decided to start a thread to say congrats to the USA,they well deserved to qualify for the 2nd round.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Hope they do well they have a decent chance if they can avoid the big teams in next round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

hawaii80310035V1_b.jpg

adu-kljestan-score.jpg

eagle_american_flag.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,588 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well considering one of our wins was denied by a ref and the other was nearly denied by another ref...

But yeah, Germany next? We're f*cked :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Overheal wrote: »
    Well considering one of our wins was denied by a ref and the other was nearly denied by another ref...

But yeah, Germany next? We're f*cked :pac:

I reckon Germany should beat Ghana and they have the better gd so I think they should go top.

Reckon USA will play Serbia - good team but not performing too well so far.

Well done USA - deserved it after those two disallowed goals? Any clips of goals available with American commentary? Would like to see it.

On another note - Alitdore's miss was shocking - why so much power. Dempsey (I think it was) also missed one - so two open goal misses.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You know what, I dont think I've ever said this about any sport but for once... I totally want USA to win this thing. :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

You have to ask WHY did Algeria play that clown of a goalkeeper in the first game, their 2nd choice was excellent today.

Delighted for the USA, I find their players are really likable, Donovan and Dempsey in particular, good to see them progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Delighted for the USA, I find their players are really likable, Donovan and Dempsey in particular, good to see them progress.

Bit of a hypocrite though............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Delighted for the USA, always give 100% in all their games.

Lando crying before the interview, what a hero.

I reckon Germany should beat Ghana and they have the better gd so I think they should go top.

Reckon USA will play Serbia - good team but not performing too well so far.

Well done USA - deserved it after those two disallowed goals? Any clips of goals available with American commentary? Would like to see it.

On another note - Alitdore's miss was shocking - why so much power. Dempsey (I think it was) also missed one - so two open goal misses.

http://gizmodo.com/5567120/usa+slovenia-match-proves-why-soccer-needs-tech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Great result - thoroughly deserved - here's hoping England's luck-of-the-devil doesnt mean the US end up playing Germany instead of them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Saturday is going to be epic!!

USA game 2:30 pm

Free Passion Pit Concert in Boston 6:30pm

Going away party for a Friend that night...who knows what state ill be in by then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thank fook Slovenia did not get through. They were hopeless and would been worst team ever to qualify for last 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I was hoping for the underdogs of the group to get through with England but nevermind, well done for winning the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Thank fook Slovenia did not get through. They were hopeless and would been worst team ever to qualify for last 16

eh you were watching England play ? considering the home of football had to scrape a 1 - 0 win against a country that regards basketball and ice hockey as the main sport.......hilarious if you ask me .especially as its all TEAM england again now.SICKINING .......lets hope the Germans beat them in penos...it might stop them going around with an undeserved feeling of self worth.

almanu wrote: »
    eh you were watching England play ? .

I agree but still at least England have the players maybe to beat Germany or whoever.

As for Slovenia they have not a prayer.

usacelebrate_2469487.jpg

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Bit of a hypocrite though............

how so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

I agree but still at least England have the players maybe to beat Germany or whoever.

As for Slovenia they have not a prayer.

if England progress past the next round ,ill run naked down my street screaming i got it all wrong...
    england havnt a hope v the germans if they top group tonight ,as they have organisation , faith in there managment and above all dare i say it team spirit..

if England progress past the next round ,ill run naked down my street screaming i got it all wrong...

Lads remember this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D We'll want video on youtube for this!

Well done to the Colonials I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

england havnt a hope v the germans if they top group tonight ,as they have organisation , faith in there managment and above all dare i say it team spirit..

QFT! :)

DeV.
    ps: I'm not saying *I'll* do this.... just wanted it preserved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Where do you live? :P

Wow... Soccer Player says Something Stupid Shocker. :eek:

DeV.

Lads, neither of you would get a seat on the bench with her, let alone striker. Stay on topic please. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Hazys wrote: »
    Saturday is going to be epic!!

USA game 2:30 pm

Free Passion Pit Concert in Boston 6:30pm

Going away party for a Friend that night...who knows what state ill be in by then....
    I hate you! Seen Passion Pit twice this year... amazing!

Fair play to the US, thoroughly deserved their place in the last 16, looking forward to Sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Landon Donovon criticised Beckham for extending his loan at Milan thus missing a good chunk of LA Galaxy's season. Donovon left Everton before LA's opening game so he is no hypocrite, in fact he is the opposite of one who has the courage of his convictions and should be applauded.

Jigga wrote: »
    Landon Donovon criticised Beckham for extending his loan at Milan thus missing a good chunk of LA Galaxy's season. Donovon left Everton before LA's opening game so he is no hypocrite, in fact he is the opposite of one who has the courage of his convictions and should be applauded.

Disagreed!

But well done USA! Imagine they won it, how awesome would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Call it intuition ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66361377&postcount=46

And they ain't finished yet ......

• Advertisement

mixednuts wrote: »
    Call it intuition ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66361377&postcount=46

And they ain't finished yet ......

Lucky guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Well done to the USA!

Landon, as always, comes through. If only they had some decent strikers they may go a lot further. Altidore, Buddle and co. are poor players.

Well done to the USA!

Landon, as always, comes through. If only they had some decent strikers they may go a lot further. Altidore, Buddle and co. are poor players.

I think Altidore is a good player. He always does well for the US, look at last year in the Confederations Cup, scoring against the likes of Spain. At Hull he only got the one goal but I remember he was outstanding against Arsenal.

Buddle, Findley and Gomez however... belong in the MLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

C'mon Mike Bradley!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Delighted for the States. I was delighted Slovenia didn't make it, the USA were the best team in the group, were robbed of a win against them and have played some good football thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Congratulations to the US for winning the group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Thrilled USA got through, equally happy Slovenia didnt as I thought they were dreadful. Great for the sport over there, and happy for Bob Bradley too as he comes across as a decent chap. USA! USA! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

They thoroughly deserved to top the group, played good football and have a good attitude. They have an excellent chance of getting further with them playing Ghana who do not seem up to much. Good boost for the sport over there and to all their fans who made the journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Absolutely fantastic acheivement for this US team to make it to the knockout stages. It shows that heart and determination is much more important than having a team brimming with world class players.

I'm delighted for them, I never gave them any chance before the tournament but I do hope they continue to shock us.

I think they'll actually go father than England. There I said it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Overheal wrote: »

Is that for real?
    But technology can help more and eliminate 90% of the most common problems in referee decisions: Off-sides. They only need to incorporate location microchips into players' boots and the ball. It doesn't have to be GPS. It could work with local location, with a computer triangulating the position of players and balls using receptors placed around the field. It's not science-fiction technology. It can be easily done and it's not expensive for a sport that generates more money than any other sport in the planet.
    Oh yeah and while we are at it why don't we get the man on the moon to keep an eye on it to make sure no one is too high.

Never mind that footballers have 2/3 boots usually. Their are about 10 footballs on the sidelines. So you would need 226 location microchips (18 players, 2 boots, 2 teams, 3 boots, 10 footballs). That's just for 1 game. That is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

the USA have a work ethic that makes France look like a team of leprosy plagued players.

They will qualify into the last 8 and go home proud as a punch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Is that for real?

Oh yeah and while we are at it why don't we get the man on the moon to keep an eye on it to make sure no one is too high.

Never mind that footballers have 2/3 boots usually. Their are about 10 footballs on the sidelines. So you would need 226 location microchips (18 players, 2 boots, 2 teams, 3 boots, 10 footballs). That's just for 1 game. That is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Its stupid, but technology now enable such smart intelligent sensors to be made which would be practically miniscule in size.

but yeh, its a good bit down the line.

all the same some decisions have been shocking. FIFA, where do they get refs for the world cup or on what basis are they hired.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The commentary from US TV:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Delighted for the US. Hopefully they'll go on to the quarters.

lol at the interviewer asking what emotions he is feeling as he is bawling crying. Have to say I really like Donovan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fantastic match, end-to-end stuff that could have had at lest eight goals, but to win it at the death when Slovenia had already finished up against England - priceless.
    I still haven't seen Ghana in any of their matches but I reckon the US should squeeze past them.

Teams like the USA and both Koreas restore the faith in football a little - there was no pricking about in this match and no whinging despite being screwed over by the officials once again. It's a pity the European, African and South American teams can't do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Can't quite put my finger on it, but I am delighted for the US. To quote a great man, there seems to be an honesty of effort about them. They run and run, they work for each other, and really are greater than the sum of their parts. Bradley in the middle has been excellent, Dempsey has also had a good few games. Tim Howard has always impressed me, both as a keeper and as a bloke. Does it strike anyone else, how intelligent the US players seem to be when interviewed?

Listening to radio yesterday, and talking to some American friends, it does seem like this team has gone some way to capturing more airtime and interest from the general population over there. That can only be good for the game, doing a hell of a lot more to raise interest than flogging aftershave, boxers and having an idiot wife was supposed to.

Is that Jay DeMerit in those celebrations who attempts a head over heels ON TOP of a celebration pile??!! What an effort :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I remember him from the Confederations Cup last year, he was outstanding in that tourney also, real quality player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement