Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction-How did you get on?

• 23-06-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Well lads what did ye think of that?..

I thought it was a fair enough paper and I'm happy with it. The drawing wasn't too bad for question 1!..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Anyone else get 1.8 for the u value and 0.08m for the thickness of the insulation thing...

the area of the windows was 2.85 i think..

qestion on wheelchairs wasn't too bad... that was up last year too wasn't it...

Q1 wasn't too bad if you'd looked at the notes on T4.ie

the stairs was....... grand but i think i messed the suspended timber floor bit up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Lovely paper I thought :D:D
    Q1 was beautiful.. I literally Jizzed my pants when I saw it ;):D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Anyone else get 1.8 for the u value and 0.08m for the thickness of the insulation thing...

the area of the windows was 2.85 i think..

qestion on wheelchairs wasn't too bad... that was up last year too wasn't it...

Q1 wasn't too bad if you'd looked at the notes on T4.ie

the stairs was....... grand but i think i messed the suspended timber floor bit up

yeh i got, what wat it, 0.08 meters for the insulation. 88mm either way

drawing questioin was handy enough, could have been worse.

Q10 and 6 were the same as every year so did ok in them

ran out of time to do the stairs. didnt even have time to draw it to scale so just guessed, filled as many details as possible half a page for part b so overall was ok

raging about the site safety i had it learned by heart:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

It was a grand paper, if you were prepared enough you would have flown through it :)
    After all my talk about knowing my u-values, I fecking messed up that question! I somehow managed to get a negative number for the thickness of the insulation..! :eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

yeah i liked it... some of the questions i didnt do freehand sketches lol
    i was last to leave and that was after and hour and a half lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Peter03

Pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Q1 was nice for me, but noone else in my class because we had a **** teacher in 5th year and didn't get anything done and we never properly covered the roof. I though drew it properly 2 days ago so it was grand.

Q3 I thought was ok, not 100% if my reasons for advantages were ok.

Q5 U-value was grand, Finding the thickness seemed grand, worked it out by have

(1/total resistance+x)=.27 and worked out the resistance of the phenolic foam(which is X) then said that

(T/ conductivity)=X and just worked it out there.

But didn't have a clue about thermal mass.

Q6: Really good question :D

Q7: Pretty good aswell.

Overall I probably got about 80-85% i'd say, not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

Don't be too down if you did bad on the paper, theres still the marks for your project and day exam to count too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 captainZZZ

Hi , just wondering could somebody make a list of what came up in each question? wondering what topics came up this year

or is there a copy of the paper anywhere online?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mr_paddy

captainZZZ wrote: »
    Hi , just wondering could somebody make a list of what came up in each question? wondering what topics came up this year

or is there a copy of the paper anywhere online?

just go to http://www.examinations.ie/ and pick examination material archive u should get the paper today or tomor :p

tho it was grand paper nothing too hard or easy but though safety would have come up but didnt but no matter :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 captainZZZ

mr_paddy wrote: »
    just go to http://www.examinations.ie/ and pick examination material archive u should get the paper today or tomor :p

tho it was grand paper nothing too hard or easy but though safety would have come up but didnt but no matter :rolleyes:

Thanks Paddy,
    I tried the exam archive already today and just there a few minutes ago and its still not up, looks like I'll just have to wait til tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I got the phenolic insulation to be 78.5mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I thought it was a disaster to be honest.
    No SunSpace Question, no Safety, No Cold Bridging as such.
    Disappointed isn't the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Peter03

Yeah, no safety question was a balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ChristianLC

I didn't find it to be that difficult to be honest. I done hardly any preparation for it so I knew I wasn't going to do great but I managed decently enough I think. I loved question 6 on safety precautions. So easy to ramble on for those type of questions.

Construction was my last exam, I'm so glad it's finally over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Peter03 wrote: »
    Yeah, no safety question was a balls.

I kinda predicted no safety question, it wasn't up last year so I wasn't getting my hopes up for one.

However it was a reasonably tough test with the change in the U-Values question.

I knew a wheelchair access question would come up and it did :cool: :D , Totally aced that question :P

With the tough bench test and this very challenging exam, it was a toughish year for Construction :)

Advertisement