Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student needs some leaving cert guidance

Options
  • 23-06-2010 5:49pm

I'm 24 yrs of age and would like to sit the leaving cert. I recently moved to Dundalk, Co.Louth so i'm not very familar with the colleges in the area, infact i'm not that familar with the Southern Education system as i'm originally from the North. I hope to do Pharmacy so would be hoping for an intense course, preferably with other mature students. I am willing to travel to Drogheda or Dublin, does anyone have an idea if there are any courses that would suit? Also it is my my understaning that these courses can be very expensive, does anyone know is there any financial assistance available or even a college that would be less expensive than the others.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Could you not apply to do Pharmacy as a mature student? Please excuse my ignorance if you've tried this method

No, I believe for Pharmacy you would need the leaving cert grades, I don't think it's the same route for mature students as with other courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP,

If you're stuck and looking for information on any kind of education in the Louth area contact the service below. They should be able to help.
    Louth Adult Education Guidance & Information Service

Information Officer - Gráinne Berrill

Guidance Counsellor - Ann Fallon

Address: Centre for Continuing Education, King Street, Drogheda.

Tel: 041 9842030

Email: laegis@louthvec.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

yupder wrote: »
    I am willing to travel to Drogheda or Dublin

http://www.plunketcollege.ie/

http://www.rathminescollege.ie/courses.php?id=25

You can also do the leaving cert as an external student. It's simple if you are not doing project based subjects as they need to be signed off by a teacher who supervised you. You'd have to do chemistry anyway as part of the entry requirements I'm guessing and that requires lab work. Unless you already got the required chemistry grade in A-levels. I don't know if you can combine a-levels for entry requirements with leaving cert for points. Anyway just throwing out a few ideas.

You can see the leaving cert syllabus on www.education.ie . There's a link on the left on the homepage

All past papers and marking schemes and chief examiners reports are on www.examinations.ie . This is also the site you apply through if doing as an external student.

www.qualifax.ie may have further links

Brilliant, thanks very much for both your replies, really appreciate it:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement