Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB memory stick - snapped !!

• 23-06-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I managed to drop my laptop with a USB key in the drive, which resulted in the small metal piece that you stick into the laptop snapping off. The business end of the key (looks like a tiny circuit board inside) is fully intact. The metal connections joining the metal head and the circuits seem to have been yanked apart as a result.

There are some files on this which I did not have on my laptop (ironically that's what I was doing when I dropped the blasted thing).

Is there any way that this can be physically mended somehow??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

yep.. some careful soldering to wire up the broken connections should do the trick. ive done it myself before. on my key there were three main prongs i had to solder back on the circuit board.. still works fine today!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭King Ian

dyer wrote: »
    yep.. some careful soldering to wire up the broken connections should do the trick. ive done it myself before. on my key there were three main prongs i had to solder back on the circuit board.. still works fine today!

Wow thats great to hear - thanks. Is there anywhere that does this kind of repair? I'm a dunce with all electronic stuff myself so wouldn't know how to attempt it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

id say any pc - laptop repair shop should be willing to give it a go, or someone with a bit of dexterity whos competent enough with a soldering iron. if you remove the casing from the flash memory chip youll see the extent of the damage for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Take a photo of the stick and I'll be able to tell you if its repairable, have the equipment to do it you can't find anyone nearby and can post it to me.

Advertisement