Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Grant Application Forms

Options
  • 23-06-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Ok first of all I don't even have my place yet, but it says get the app in either way.
    I'm finding the form and guideline forms very overwhelming and maybe i'm just tired today but they are confusing me.

Can anyone tell me if I can apply without my P45?
    I'm still waiting to see if I get my place so I obviously haven't handed in my notice yet, therefore I do not have my P45.

The documents I possess at the moment are as follows
    • All previous education qualifications, certs etc
    • P60, and P21
    • I pay a pension in my job, so do I need to statement from mercer to show what I paid last year? How do I go about that? I've never touched or even asked about my pension previously (i'm silly I know).
    • I have a bank statements with my address and revenue stuff with my address (no utilities as I pay a set rent every month that inc utilities-I know this may not be enough but its all I can give so I gotta hope for the best or get my parents documents ready)
    Can I go somewhere to get help filling in the application?
    I'm sorry for all the questions I'm just so baffled with these forms, Im fit to crack up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

smilerxxx wrote: »
    I'm sorry for all the questions I'm just so baffled with these forms, Im fit to crack up.

I've just started them and can sympathise... the forms are terrifying. I could spend the next 6 months just getting all the relevant documents together. The 24 pages of notes file is actually causing me more confusion than the form itself

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

I'm going to try and ask around to see if there is any place where i can get some help in completing the form. Just to let me know exactly what documentation i need etc. I'd say you'd get an american passport a lot easier LOL :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

How about the citizens information centre?? I know you can make appointments to see people in there. They are always very helpful.

Applying for a grant is a frickin nightmare. They do not make it easy for you at all. In saying that, most people get it sorted. Just tick off everything you can fill in now and talk to someone in the citizens information centre and if they can't help you, they will point you in the right direction. :)

Thanks Larianne, I think thats exactly what i'm going to have to do. I've a massive headache from reading the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭BroFlo

Ok first of all I don't even have my place yet, but it says get the app in either way.
    I'm finding the form and guideline forms very overwhelming and maybe i'm just tired today but they are confusing me.

Can anyone tell me if I can apply without my P45?
    I'm still waiting to see if I get my place so I obviously haven't handed in my notice yet, therefore I do not have my P45.

The documents I possess at the moment are as follows
    • All previous education qualifications, certs etc
    • P60, and P21
    • I pay a pension in my job, so do I need to statement from mercer to show what I paid last year? How do I go about that? I've never touched or even asked about my pension previously (i'm silly I know).
    • I have a bank statements with my address and revenue stuff with my address (no utilities as I pay a set rent every month that inc utilities-I know this may not be enough but its all I can give so I gotta hope for the best or get my parents documents ready)
    Can I go somewhere to get help filling in the application?

I dont think you need your p45 because its all based on your income last year, 2009, so if you were in the same job last year your p60 & p21 will do the job!

I reckon your bank statement will be fine but remember again it needs to be dated for last year.

The adult guidence officer in your local VEC are great at helping out, give them a call for an appointment or pop into them.

Hope that helps a little

• Advertisement

Thats a great help thanks. I'm going to try and get an appointment. My bank statements are from sept-oct last year so hopefully that'll be ok (i kept them for a "just in case" scenario- and looks like this is a "just in case" :D)

I'm delighted to hear about the p45 because i am still in the same job and I was worried about getting the p45 in time for august 31st. I didn't want to hand in my notice too early because I'm going to need every single penny.

I got my p21 a few weeks ago, and I'll ring mercer about my pension contribution statement (have no idea what this is)

This all sounds like I definitely have a place, but I don't. Round A comes out on July 7th at 6am so I won't know until then, so fingers crossed for me xxx

Thats a great help thanks. I'm going to try and get an appointment. My bank statements are from sept-oct last year so hopefully that'll be ok (i kept them for a "just in case" scenario- and looks like this is a "just in case" :D)

I'm delighted to hear about the p45 because i am still in the same job and I was worried about getting the p45 in time for august 31st. I didn't want to hand in my notice too early because I'm going to need every single penny.

I got my p21 a few weeks ago, and I'll ring mercer about my pension contribution statement (have no idea what this is)

This all sounds like I definitely have a place, but I don't. Round A comes out on July 7th at 6am so I won't know until then, so fingers crossed for me xxx

Depending on wether you have to send your grant form to a VEC or your local authority sometimes you can just walk in and they will give advise or even better photocopy all your documents then and their, depends how busy they are though, this year probaly run off their feet!
    Well best of luck with everything, Im in the same boat, role on 7th July.

BroFlo wrote: »
    Depending on wether you have to send your grant form to a VEC or your local authority sometimes you can just walk in and they will give advise or even better photocopy all your documents then and their, depends how busy they are though, this year probaly run off their feet!
    Well best of luck with everything, Im in the same boat, role on 7th July.

Have you applied for nursing also? Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No not nursing, that seemed like such a stressful process to go through. Im looking for podiatry in NUI galway so figures crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

BroFlo wrote: »
    No not nursing, that seemed like such a stressful process to go through. Im looking for podiatry in NUI galway so figures crossed :)

You could ring Siobhan Fahy in the City of Galway Adult Guidance service. Their number is 091 768 596. She can give you advice re the grant application form. I know in our local VEC you can make an appointment with the grants officer and she will go through the form with you.

• Advertisement

I think I need to apply to the local county council as it's a level 8. So I'm going to call into them tomorrow!
    I'm just arranging my pension stuff and i'm going to get a new P60 sent to me.

Wow BroFlo podiatry sounds great... might need you soon... my feet are in agony LOL

I think I need to apply to the local county council as it's a level 8. So I'm going to call into them tomorrow!
    I'm just arranging my pension stuff and i'm going to get a new P60 sent to me.

Wow BroFlo podiatry sounds great... might need you soon... my feet are in agony LOL

haha your gas, youll have another 4 years of agony if your gona wait 4 me to be qualified :)

I dont think its weather your applying for a level 8 or 7. I think its your local authority if your applying for a uni and your VEC if your appying to an IT.

Oh and dont forget u need a birthcert, you dont have that in the list of things you have!!

Studentfinance.ie will tells exactly weather its VEC or Local authority, mite be different for every county.

Are you hoping for nursing? where you gana go to college?

Oh the birth cert, yes I have that! My mother seems to have everything:D
    I'm applying for mental health nursing in UL so I think the Council is my place to go. I went through studentfinance which I found helpful.
    Podiatry seems interesting.. esp with all us girlies destroying our feet! 27 and 2 bunions LOL :p

I think I'm just so overwhelmed with all the forms and documents. I can't seem to think of any other formal documents I need, bar the P45 and as you said it seems like I can get away without that. Maybe they'll just ask me to send it in once im formally finished. Again fingers crossed I get it!

im 99.9% sure you do not need your p45 coz your finances is based on 2009. you will defo need it for next year though.

Just send in everything you have, the worst that will happen is they will ask you for sumtin else!!

2 bunions at 27 :eek: holy smokes!! the pain is definitly worth the pretty shoes ;)

I know!!!! LOL they run in my family though so even if i wore horrid shoes i'd be limping :D:D.

oh no, never had a bunion but heard they are not nice.

Well best of luck with everythng Smilerxxx, hope all your dreams come true :D cheese!! Good luck on the 7th.;)

Advertisement