Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

España -v- Chile, Fri 7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

• 23-06-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

a99.jpg
    España -v- Chile
    Match 47 - Group H
    Pretoria - Loftus Versfeld
    Friday 25 June, 2010
    7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

Del Bosque is optimistic that Iniesta will be available after picking up a thigh injury against the Swiss - the player has trained and stated he is feeling fine.

FIFA blocked the US and Algeria from training at the stadium over concerns for the playing surface - the same has now happened to Spain and Chile.

Toshack attacks Del Bosque in a local Basque newspaper.

Carmona and Fernandez are suspended for Chile.

FIFA will not investigate the Villa slapping incident from the Honduras game according to a statement released by the governing body.

Some criticism from the Spanish press over Del Bosque's decision to play two more defensive players in midfield (Busquets & Xabi Alonso) - The coach has dismissed it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

A little bit of Guapa from Mata on Albiol.

The last meeting between the sides took place at El Madrigal in Nov 2008.

Spain emerged victorious thanks to goals from Villa, Torres and Santi Cazorla.

Sergio Ramos missed yesterdays training session and at the moment is considered doubtful - Arbeloa would be the natural replacement should it be required.

Spain will have to wear their lesser known blue shirts for this game as Chile are considered the home team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

In case anyone is wondering, these are the permutations for this group.

If Switzerland lose to Honduras, then Spain will actually qualify even if they lose to Chile, provided their margin of defeat is equal or better than the Swiss. And provided Honduras don't go goal crazy against the Swiss, which is rather unlikely.

If Switzerland draw, then Spain will qualify with a draw, since their goal difference is 1 better than the Swiss.

If Switzerland win, then Spain have to beat Chile to qualify, and must beat them by at least the same margin as the Swiss beat Honduras if they're to top the group (and needless to say topping this group is pretty important with Brazil awaiting the runners-up).

This is a massive game for Spain against pretty useful opponents, and it will be interesting to see how they handle the pressure, as it would be a disaster for them to not even qualify from the group.

EDIT: If Spain and Switz both win, Spain automatically qualify, but the goal difference between Chile and Switz will be very tight. Currently Chile +2 Switz 0 Though Chile would go through on the head-to-head if GD finishes equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I see a shock here.
    Torres will score! Pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Both teams have been adventurous but extremely wasteful so far. Let's hope they all have their shooting boots on and we get a high-scoring cracker.

• Advertisement

Sergio Ramos trained today after missing yesterdays session.

Word is he still has pain on his right side so know idea as to whether he will start as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Hoping for a 2-0 win for Spain. Even a scoreless draw in the two games would see them through. Would be gutted to see them go home now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I think Spain will win and top the group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I really hope Honduras can do everyone a favour and get a result against Switzerland and send them home. Chile ans Spain to progress *fingers crossed*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hope Chile take care of business and send another complacent big team packing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

As long as today see's Chile through i dont mind... Dogged from the start, respect no reputation's and a keen free following attack mentality. Would like to see them beat Spain, but wouldn't mind seeing Spain go through.... Bit more exciting than watching the Swizz defend for 90 against Brazil or Portugal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As long as today see's Chile through i dont mind... Dogged from the start, respect no reputation's and a keen free following attack mentality. Would like to see them beat Spain, but wouldn't mind seeing Spain go through.... Bit more exciting than watching the Swizz defend for 90 against Brazil or Portugal!

Generally agree. Chile are great to watch. The problem is I think the Swiss will definitely win, so it is virtually impossible for both Chile and Spain to progress. As such, I would rather Chile go through as I'd like to see more of them and their players. We all know who Spain are, and will see plenty of their stars in the coming years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

C'mon be honest LL, you just want Torres back and rested up! (I do)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Generally agree. Chile are great to watch. The problem is I think the Swiss will definitely win, so it is virtually impossible for both Chile and Spain to progress. As such, I would rather Chile go through as I'd like to see more of them and their players. We all know who Spain are, and will see plenty of their stars in the coming years...

Chile are getting too much hype at the moment in my opinion.

The Swiss played the majority of the game with 10 men and could have snatched something had their finishing not let them down.

I will reserve judgement on Chile until after tonights performance.

I want to see how they cope against a quality side first.

For all the attacking football they have played so far their finishing has been quite poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Comeeee on 2-0 Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

redout wrote: »
    Chile are getting too much hype at the moment in my opinion.

The Swiss played the majority of the game with 10 men and could have snatched something had their finishing not let them down.

I will reserve judgement on Chile until after tonights performance.

I want to see how they cope against a quality side first.

For all the attacking football they have played so far their finishing has been quite poor.

To be honest i think when you're one of the few teams going into ur last game with a 100% record, ur hype should be slightly justified.

Its easy complain that they havent scored more goals with they're intent quite clearly on attack... but yet no one seems to higlight how they are yet to concede.

Spain are a quality side, no question, and possess more than enough quality to see off most top class teams. Unfortunetly though they're failure to see off a quite average although fantastically defensive team in Switzerland could see one of the few pure footballing teams, in Chile, face an undeserved early exit.

Viva Honduras!! Do us a favour and keep two footballing teams in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Want spain out today. Gives netherlands one better chance of winning the WC and means cesc can come home and hug wenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Alexi Sanchez will be a big time thorn in the side of the Spanish defence.

Hope Chile do it!

To be honest i think when you're one of the few teams going into ur last game with a 100% record, ur hype should be slightly justified.

Its easy complain that they havent scored more goals with they're intent quite clearly on attack... but yet no one seems to higlight how they are yet to concede.

Spain are a quality side, no question, and possess more than enough quality to see off most top class teams. Unfortunetly though they're failure to see off a quite average although fantastically defensive team in Switzerland could see one of the few pure footballing teams, in Chile, face an undeserved early exit.

Viva Honduras!! Do us a favour and keep two footballing teams in.

I still cant give an honest assessment as yet. What we do know is that Honduras are a poor side going on their two games thus far. Before the Swiss went down to 10 men they were decent. It was only after the sending off did they have to go all out defence with Hitzfeld sacrificing Frei up front to bring on an extra midfielder. They have yet to be given a proper test as yet and until they do I dont really see how we can pass a proper judgement.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've gone off Chile a bit after their prick-acting the last time out. I still find it hard to stomach the thought of Switzerland going through though. Swiss to win and Spain/Chile to draw and another big gun fired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I still cant give an honest assessment as yet. What we do know is that Honduras are a poor side going on their two games thus far. Before the Swiss went down to 10 men they were decent. It was only after the sending off did they have to go all out defence with Hitzfeld sacrificing Frei up front to bring on an extra midfielder. They have yet to be given a proper test as yet and until they do I dont really see how we can pass a proper judgement.

To be fair, Spain have been less than impressive against the exact same opposition. Your whole argument is that Chile looked wasteful despite such attacking force - they have the same amount of goals as Spain and have conceded none, not too bad for an attacking team. You can argue about the red card all you want, we all know that a lot of the time its much harder to score against 10 men, and like you said, Switz sacrificed a striker so they still had the same defensive numbers as they did against Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

If Spain don't beat Chile then it probably is time for them to go home. In saying that I'm still hoping for a Spain win.

If Spain beat Chile and Switzerland win 1-0 then both Spain and Chile go through, no?

Archimedes wrote: »
    To be fair, Spain have been less than impressive against the exact same opposition. Your whole argument is that Chile looked wasteful despite such attacking force - they have the same amount of goals as Spain and have conceded none, not too bad for an attacking team. You can argue about the red card all you want, we all know that a lot of the time its much harder to score against 10 men, and like you said, Switz sacrificed a striker so they still had the same defensive numbers as they did against Spain.

We were talking about Chile not Spain but if you would like an assessment of Spain going on their two games then I would tell you that they have been even more wasteful in front of goal than Chile. In fact the stats showed that Spain had the most shots in the tournament up until 2 days ago anyway with 46. The midfield is not playing as good as normal and Xavi doesnt look right for some reason. Parts of the Spanish press are putting that down to Del Bosque's insistance to play two more defensive midfielders (Xabi Alonso, Busquets). Torres also has not looked like he is completely back to normal. Defensively Iker looks a liability more so than the defenders. He was at fault for the Swiss goal and also against Honduras he nearly messed up once again early on. As regards Spain everyone knows they are a class team. I dont understand your point that Spain have been less impressive against the exact same opposition - we must have been watching different games because they should easily have had 5/6 goals in each of those games without even hitting top gear. The only thing letting them down in attack is their finishing the exact same as Chile.

I dont understand your point that Spain have been less impressive against the exact same opposition - we must have been watching different games because they should easily have had 5/6 goals in each of those games without even hitting top gear. The only thing letting them down in attack is their finishing the exact same as Chile.

That's what Im saying. You said Chile, for all their attacking prowess, were wasteful. Which is why I said Spain were less impressive, because as you said, they had the most shots in the tournament - a lot more than Chile, who with less shots, have the same amount of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Baby Jesus......if you are reading this thread.......could you please allow Spain and Chile to progress to the next round.

/prayer

That's what Im saying. You said Chile, for all their attacking prowess, were wasteful. Which is why I said Spain were less impressive, because as you said, they had the most shots in the tournament - a lot more than Chile, who with less shots, have the same amount of goals.

But we were never discussing Spain in the first place. We were talking about Chile. I was giving an opinion on them from what I have seen thus far. You brought Spain into it which is fair enough but has nothing to do with what I was discussing with the other chap. Comparing what Spain have done with Chile has no bearing on my assessment of them.

But we were never discussing Spain in the first place. We were talking about Chile. I was giving an opinion on them from what I have seen thus far. You brought Spain into it which is fair enough but has nothing to do with what I was discussing with the other chap. Comparing what Spain have done with Chile has no bearing on my assessment of them.

Well, to be fair you said you wont judge Chile until you've seen them against quality opposition like Spain. I'm just saying Chile have shown themselves to be more clinical than Spain against the same opposition, so Im not sure why you haven't formed an opinion of them yet. For what it's worth, what little you've said about them sums up what most people think anyway - great going forward, not converting enough chances and untested at the back. And also, for what its worth again, I think Spain will beat them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Vyse wrote: »
    If Spain don't beat Chile then it probably is time for them to go home. In saying that I'm still hoping for a Spain win.

If Spain beat Chile and Switzerland win 1-0 then both Spain and Chile go through, no?

I think both teams have to win by only one goal in order to send them both through.

Well, to be fair you said you wont judge Chile until you've seen them against quality opposition like Spain. I'm just saying Chile have shown themselves to be more clinical than Spain against the same opposition, so Im not sure why you haven't formed an opinion of them yet. For what it's worth, what little you've said about them sums up what most people think anyway - great going forward, not converting enough chances and untested at the back. And also, for what its worth again, I think Spain will beat them :(

I said that I will reserve judgement until they face a quality side. I do not know how you expect me to have formed a complete opinion of them yet as I only have their two games thus far to go on were they have neither been tested or faced quality opposition. The opinion I have gave on them thus far only reflects what it is I have seen in their two games. That could well change after tonights game. The little I have said about them is really all that there is to say for them based on their two games. I, and as I suspect the majority of the forum don't get to watch Chile play a part from here at the World Cup whereas with Spain everyone has seen them and knows what they are about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I predict the spanish will bore the ****e out of me by passing across and back, across and back, back to pique, across and back, back to goal keeper, back to pique, across and back until eventually I fall into a coma. Boring stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I predict the spanish will bore the ****e out of me by passing across and back, across and back, back to pique, across and back, back to goal keeper, back to pique, across and back until eventually I fall into a coma. Boring stuff.

You had me at Pique.

España lineup:
    Casillas; Ramos, Piqué, Puyol, Capdevila; Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta; Villa, Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

any idea what the Spanish line up will be ?

Headshot wrote: »
    any idea what the Spanish line up will be ?

Im guessing it will be Casillas; Ramos, Piqué, Puyol, Capdevila; Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta; Villa, Torres.

Just a wild guess though.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

España lineup:
    Casillas; Ramos, Piqué, Puyol, Capdevila; Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta; Villa, Torres

Don't have a clue why Busquets is there instead of Fabregas. Matter of fact, it might be because Iniesta could not be absolutely 100% fitness and thus not be top level, and throw on Fabregas in his position at the start of half time if be.

EDIT: Marca.com

Iniesta por Navas ante Chile (Iniesta for Navas against Chile)

• Advertisement

Looks like Chile will go with the 3-3-1-3 if both Villa and Torres start then.

Teams:
    hile: 1-Claudio Bravo; 4-Mauricio Isla, 17-Gary Medel, 3-Waldo Ponce, 8-Arturo Vidal, 11-Mark Gonzalez, 13-Marco Estrada, 18-Gonzalo Jara, 10-Jorge Valdivia, 15-Jean Beausejour, 7-Alexis Sanchez.

Spain: 1-Iker Casillas; 15-Sergio Ramos, 3-Gerard Pique, 5-Carles Puyol, 11-Joan Capdevila; 14-Xabi Alonso, 8-Xavi, 6-Andres Iniesta, 16-Sergio Busquets; 9-Fernando Torres, 7-David Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

5-2 to Spain, Villa with 3 and Pique with 2!!!

gonna be some game. If Torres hit the pitch on form I expect Spain to comfortably be up 2-0 at half time.

Loving the introduction on RTE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

F*ck sake, drop Busquets.

F*ck sake, drop Busquets.

This is the one match in the group stage they'll need him imo.

This is the one match in the group stage they'll need him imo.

Alonso can do as good a job defensively as him imo. The team would have more balance with Silva or Mata playing

Think RTE have gotten that formation wrong. It's more likely to be

__________________Bravo__________________

________Medel_____Ponce_____Jara_________

_______________Vidal/Estrada______________

______Isla__________________Vidal/Estrada__

_________________Valdivia

Sanchez________________________Gonzalez

_______________Beausejour_______________

Alonso can do as good a job defensively as him imo. The team would have more balance with Silva or Mata playing

No he can't. Busquets is better defensively than Alonso, and is a lot more mobile and willing to get stuck in, 2 factors that are vital against this Chile side imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

1-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Get rid of Ardiles, the chap can't speak English properly.

What is the point of having a pundit who people can't understand?

It's not as if he is Gazza and adds some sort of comedy factor...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Guys WTF was on Ossie's head?

Looked like a plaster or something but it completely disappeared all of a sudden!

Was it just my imagination or did others notice?

jayteecork wrote: »
    Guys WTF was on Ossie's head?

Looked like a plaster or something but it completely disappeared all of a sudden!

Was it just my imagination or did others notice?

I did :D

must be something like the WWF, where Giles get so pissed off with Ozzys accent and "busts his open"

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Get rid of Ardiles, the chap can't speak English properly.

What is the point of having a pundit who people can't understand?

It's not as if he is Gazza and adds some sort of comedy factor...

I can understand him perfectly. Just remember that "b" sounds usually = "v", and then it's just a matter of keeping up

• Advertisement
Advertisement