Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

España -v- Chile, Fri 7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Honduras goal disallowed for offside.

Commentator: "It would be nice in this game at this time if they started allowing offside goals"

End to end stuff really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I wonder has there been a nod and a wink? Neither seem to be probing much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

murpho999 wrote: »
    Agreed....yet another disappointing "top team". Add to the list Brazil, France & Italy.

Don't know who is going to win it this year.

I believe Holland have looked the best thus far though no real top class opposition.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I missed the first half due to training, were Spain this poor in the first half? What happened for the sending off?

Chile just seem happy to take a chance on the other game at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Great game!!! 2-1. Spain played great and deserved the result. Chile had a blip on the outcome of the game because of a fleuky goal. Pity towards the end Chile had no men in the spanish half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

rather watch paint dry

its the definition of that simpsons soccer episode

gimmick wrote: »
    I wonder has there been a nod and a wink? Neither seem to be probing much.

Well said. Both dont look bothered.

I missed the first half due to training, were Spain this poor in the first half? What happened for the sending off?

Chile just seem happy to take a chance on the other game at the moment

Spain were outstanding in the 1st half, 20-30 passes around Chile. (Chile had a man sent off) When Villa and Iniesta scored, it seemed they coudl have another 1-2 goals before half time.

I fully expected it to be 4-5 nil but Chile got a fleuky goal at the start of the 1st half and dimmed the entire game.

CorkMan wrote: »
    Great game!!! 2-1. Spain played great and deserved the result. Chile had a blip on the outcome of the game because of a fleuky goal. Pity towards the end Chile had no men in the spanish half.
    Spain were outstanding in the 1st half, 20-30 passes around Chile. (Chile had a man sent off)

I fully expected it to be 4-5 nil but Chile got a fleuky goal at the start of the 1st half and dimmed the entire game.

You're on a completely different planet mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Headshot wrote: »
    rather watch paint dry

its the definition of that simpsons soccer episode
    Like most of this WC so far, I cannot remember one as bad.

• Advertisement

Ball fizzes across the Swiss goal line, and no one can turn it in. Commentator is having kittens at this stage, its hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Jesus Honduras are after missings two sitters! The poor lads don't know how to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

This is actually farcical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is the game 5 minutes ahead in Cork as they are still playing on my tv?

I certainly wouldn't call this a great game by any means!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

spain were far from outstanding in the first half.the 1st goal really changed the game and that was a keeper mistake(villa did take the goal very well tho)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Silva must be pissed off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Switzerland game over too. 0-0.

Poor finish from both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

lol at silva!delighted spain and chile went through

• Advertisement

End of that game looked awfully scripted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Shocked that there wasn't a goal in the Honduras / Switzerland game. The last 15 minutes were some of the most open football I've ever seen.

thegen wrote: »
    Like most of this WC so far, I cannot remember one as bad.

Disagree totally....there have been some great games...did you see Italy yesterday?
    Also,the tournament really gets going with the knockout rounds.
    Don't know how old you are but Italia 90 was terrible.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Archimedes wrote: »
    Ball fizzes across the Swiss goal line, and no one can turn it in. Commentator is having kittens at this stage, its hilarious.

They should have broadcast those games instead!

what a horrible game, really thought this could light the tournament up but i was well wrong, spain are gone downhill alot since winning the euros, chile players are mad and add to the fact that the ref was awful

not a good game at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Who were the two hotties? Must have been wags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

I remember back to 78 and even the final of 74, this has been pure sh1t so far, italy only came slive when it was to late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Wasn't a great performance but two well-taken goals and they calmly made sure of it in the second half.

I don't know what to make of Portugal in the next round. Spain can do it if they put in a similar performance to tonight's.

I saw them against Ivory Coast and they were horrible (as were Ivory Coast). Sure, they beat DPRK 7-0 but sure Ivory Coast won 3-0 against them today and, by all accounts I've seen, they should've hammered they by more too so that doesn't say much about the quality of the Koreans.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Spain were poor today. Think they'll have to drop Torres for Portugal if they're to progress. They weren't great with the extra midfielder but at least they weren't being outplayed which is what was happening when Torres was on.

Chile - Brazil should be an entertaining game but I'd be very surprised if the difference in discipline between the two sides won't make a crucial difference.

at least chile are through, thank god

i cant wait for chile v brazil, I fancy Chile myself because Brazil havent impressed me much but Chile have to get Suazo back to form

• Advertisement

i cant wait for chile v brazil, I fancy Chile myself because Brazil havent impressed me much but Chile have to get Suazo back to form fitness

Fyp. He was injured coming into the tournament, and finds himself in the same boat as Torres really. Still not 100% fit but I reckon he could be for Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Good thing that Chile and Spain are both through safely, which makes for two absolute hum dingers of last sixteen games.

Pity this one was such a damp squib though.

I'm sure Chile will come out all guns blazing again against Brazil. It'll be interesting to see what set up they go for against a narrow team with one striker.

Chile will be missing 2 of their starting 3 centrebacks in Medel and Ponce. Could be a huge problem against Brazil. At least Carmona and Fernandez will be back.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Fyp. He was injured coming into the tournament, and finds himself in the same boat as Torres really. Still not 100% fit but I reckon he could be for Brazil.

i know that arch but i presumed he was fit again after starting against Honduras and just trying to get that form back after being out for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Leaning towards a Portugal victory on Tuesday!

Leaning towards a Portugal victory on Tuesday!

You never know....they are huge rivals so anything can happen.....just hope it's a good game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,817 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

redout wrote: »
    Spain seem content with the one goal lead - baffling

It seems bizarre, but it is rather calculated from both teams if you think about it. 2-1 and both are through, with either the current 0-0 in the other game or with the Swiss scoring once - both very likely outcomes. Any draw or even a win for Honduras would make no difference

If Spain go for 3-1 and Switzerland scores, Chile is out. Chile can't risk that

If Chili equalise and Switzerland scores, Spain is out. Spain don't want to risk that

So nobody plays. Classic truce...

FFS, Spain were not poor. They stuck on Torres alright, HE wasn't ever 100%, but after the initial 10 mins (where are sharp Torres coulda scored) they were passing the ball very fluently. Villa claimed his goal well, I can remember Alonso putting one through for Torres but is was barely blocked. Spain won the ball well for the 2nd goal, they got it off a chile player, Iniesta passed it to Villa, Iniesta made his run and Iniesta finished clinically. They could have had 3-4 in the first half.

The 2nd half, Chile got a fleuky goal which dampened the spirits, but since that goal went in I think the Chileans knew it was 0-0 in the other match and played like that, and so did Spain because they knew they were going through and didn't want to be too advenerous. They knew too well the Chilean team was full of choppers. (Iniesta kicked, Alonso ankle injury, multiple tackles from behind) Sure even 2 of Chiles top 3 defenders are missing for the Brazil game!!! 3 yellow cards in first 20 minutes, red card for the 2nd goal, Jaysus!

I think when Del Bosque stuck on Fabregas it was, keep the ball, be adventurous the odd time without getting chopped down, but play for the result, as the other team are too. If Spain wanted more, a big indication would have been putting on Silva on in the 60th minute instead of the 92nd.

unkel wrote: »
    It seems bizarre, but it is rather calculated from both teams if you think about it. 2-1 and both are through, with either the current 0-0 in the other game or with the Swiss scoring once - both very likely outcomes. Any draw or even a win for Honduras would make no difference

If Spain go for 3-1 and Switzerland scores, Chile is out. Chile can't risk that

If Chili equalise and Switzerland scores, Spain is out. Spain don't want to risk that

So nobody plays. Classic truce...

I have seen a couple alright so far this world cup.

i know that arch but i presumed he was fit again after starting against Honduras and just trying to get that form back after being out for a while

I reckon that was down to Valdivia not being at full fitness either, and Suazo had some training behind him so was most logical decision to start. Just wasn't up to the pace of the game though so they brought on Valdivia at HT instead.

• Advertisement

what a horrible game, really thought this could light the tournament up but i was well wrong, spain are gone downhill alot since winning the euros, chile players are mad and add to the fact that the ref was awful

not a good game at all

I think you have to base that on the teams the players play for as well. Xavi was great for Barca last year, they got 99 points. That team included Pique and Puyol as well. Iniesta was injured but was great beforehand.

Real Madrid got 98 points, which including Ramos and Casillas. I think Torres will really be hungry now and want to get to his top game.

I think you have to base that on the teams the players play for as well. Xavi was great for Barca last year, they got 99 points. That team included Pique and Puyol as well. Iniesta was injured but was great beforehand.

Real Madrid got 98 points, which including Ramos and Casillas. I think Torres will really be hungry now and want to get to his top game.

what :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

What in the name of Christy Ring are you on about feen?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Delighted with a Spain win. Second half was disappointing though. Thought they would have won by more.

he says Spain have been crap, but Xavi has been playing good, Iniesta has, etc, etc.

If a player plays good for the club team, they are bound to carry the throne to their national team.

TBH, I don't have a clue where he got the view Spain have been going downhill since 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

he says Spain have been crap, but Xavi has been playing good, Iniesta has, etc, etc.

If a player plays good for the club team, they are bound to carry the throne to their national team.

TBH, I don't have a clue where he got the view Spain have been going downhill since 2008.

god if that was true england wouldnt of finished 2nd, barely qualifying

have you watched spain during the wc ? they were miles better in the euros

I don't think will go out against Portugal through, and I think whoever they face in the quarter finals they will beat.

It is a bit like Kaka and Fernando Torres, but Kaka has picked up his form more quickly, but defences will be much more on their legs once Torres hits the back of the net. Iniesta can only get better too.

1277496460938.gif

the exact dive i use to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

1277496460938.gif

the exact dive i use to do

The sniper in row z shot Torres. These guys feigning injury to get people sent off is disgusting.

Advertisement