Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German food in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

F.A. wrote: »
    Haven't seen them in jars or tins, no, but you can get them fresh in the fruit and veg section at Tesco's, Dunnes, Superquinn's... - they're quite expensive though.

I have tried them once and this was enough! Never again!:eek:
    Really artificial taste and the s i z e of the blueberries - maybe they grew near a nuclear reactor.:p

galah wrote: »
    can confirm the sighting of Quark in Dunnes (even in Galway!). 1.99 euro per pot though, makes ya weep...

Blueberries: grow your own, it's worth it ;-)

Will give it a try and have a look in Dunnes again.
    Where do I get blueberry plants? And do you have experience with growing them? If yes, please let me know! THANKS!!!:D
    Thinking about it, you will probably reply I get the plants in the wild. If so, I am soooo embarrassed.

Hefty price indeed, but I will definitely look around the bigger Dunnes stores here so. Keep your fingers crossed for me, please!

I also found a little article you might find helpful. It's a few years old, but still worth reading I think.

Amazing what you find on the net! You are a little wizard!:D
    I bookmarked this page, it is worth it.
    Love the thing about the Russenladen. They were common in East Germany and you could get caviar and tuna there, which you would never see in any shop in East Germany.;)

that article mentions a few more things I am always bringing over as well - 'Pflaumenmus' (plum jam, kind of) being one of them.

You can get it sometimes in Tesco or in the Polish shops.

edit: gawd, I just realised that I used the anglizised plural of currywurst. dear oh dear. It should be 'Currywürste', obviously...;-P

LOL!!!!! Happens to me as well. Mix of German and English!:rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

connewitz wrote: »
    Will give it a try and have a look in Dunnes again.
    Where do I get blueberry plants? And do you have experience with growing them? If yes, please let me know! THANKS!!!:D
    Thinking about it, you will probably reply I get the plants in the wild. If so, I am soooo embarrassed.

nah, I wouldn't be that mean ;-) we got our Blueberry plants in B&Q - but any decent garden center will have them. You can leave them in their containers and grow them even on the patio if you don't have the space. Ours have pretty much aken care of themselves - they do favour a certain type of soil though (slightly acidic - I think).

Definitely check out Dunnes - I found it in the cheese shelf, where the mascarpone and all the 'fancy cheeses' (anything that's not cheddar) are...

On the Mueller ads: Someone played that 'Mein Hut der hat 3 Ecken' song on tele (apparently a classic song, why I don't know) - which had me bursting out singing along, Mueller-style. Hubby was ready to get me sectioned...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

I tend to get the Zott-Yogurth song into my head. It's quite cheerful, though, and my dear other half is used to me singing silly little songs! :D

"Vollbepackt mit tollen Sachen, die das Leben schöner machen..."

Visited the first Dunnes Store today - no luck. It's a small enough shop, though, so off to a big one tomorrow. Galah, can you describe the packaging (colour, brand), please? I walked past the special cheese section several times as I was anxious to miss it... :o

connewitz wrote: »
    Love the thing about the Russenladen. They were common in East Germany and you could get caviar and tuna there, which you would never see in any shop in East Germany.;)

Apart from the famous "Intershops", of course. ;)

I miss chocolate from GDR-times. A lot has reappeared, but they were some small bars which I used to buy with my pocket money - I don't remember the name. I'd nearly kill to have them again, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I tend to get the Zott-Yogurth song into my head. It's quite cheerful, though, and my dear other half is used to me singing silly little songs! :D

I'm Irish and have the Haribo song in German stuck in my head, always sing it whenever I see/hear Haribo... macht Kinder froh, und Erwachsense ebenso.. :D

As for German food, badly in need of a decent doner shop. Other things I get in Germany is Gewurzsalz, found a spice mix here but something still doesn't taste right. Another thing is the small crispy fried onion pieces, I think they are Danish, but always pick up some when in Germany. Another thing can't seem to get here is mohnkuchen.

I miss chocolate from GDR-times
    The only stuff I've tasted that's like Ossi chocolate in recent years is Hershey - bah pfui igittigitt!

• Advertisement

rp wrote: »
    The only stuff I've tasted that's like Ossi chocolate in recent years is Hershey - bah pfui igittigitt!

Never had Hershey, but I've heard of it. Seems you either hate it or love it - but that's the case with most chocolates, I think. Many people here love Cadbury's, for example, while I am not a fan (apart from their Curly-Wurly - addictive stuff). But there is no such thing as "Ossi chocolate" as there were quite a few very different ones, some cheap and indeed horrible, others quite fantastic and still popular. Halloren Kugeln would be a great example. Even Irish friends and family keep asking not to forget to buy a few boxes whenever I'm over.

prinz wrote: »
    As for German food, badly in need of a decent doner shop.
    What about Iskanders on Dame St.? I'd rate that as good a kebap as you'd get in yer average German/Turkish Imbiss, meine Meinung nach...

"Vollbepackt mit tollen Sachen, die das Leben schöner machen..."

Visited the first Dunnes Store today - no luck. It's a small enough shop, though, so off to a big one tomorrow. Galah, can you describe the packaging (colour, brand), please? I walked past the special cheese section several times as I was anxious to miss it... :o

it's very non-descript unfortunately - blue-white, like a Mueller's milk rice pot, but it says Quark in big letters on the top. That's all I can give ya ;-) It took me a while to find it in my Dunnes too - don't give up though! ;-)

prinz: for the fried onions, try IKEA - you might get lucky there! I know I got a pack there before (in Belfast though). Mohnkuchen you'd have to make yourself - not that difficult once you get Quark ;-P

Missing decent salty liquorice, too! (Katjes, and all the nice Danish liquorice ;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

There're also some online options. I haven't tried them....yet.

Found this for many of my childhood sweets (it's a German shop):

http://www.worldofsweets.de/

And for some of the other food (unfortunately, they don't ship Milchschnitte to Ireland, probably because of refrigeration issues):

https://www.lebensmittel.de/?&form_country=85

(The search on that site can be a bit dodgy so you better go into the actual category and look at all items available.)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I miss chocolate from GDR-times.

Aber doch nicht "Schlager Süßtafel" ;)

Hier in Berlin gibt es noch sehr viele DDR Schokoriegel, Brotaufstriche, Im Nu "Kaffee", (habe sogar vor Kurzem Tempo Erbsen ind Tempo Linsen gesehen ;))

rumour has it that there's a German food shop in Galway now - will check it out and report back (and if anyone manages to get there before me - please let us know what it's like! ;-))

Apanachi wrote: »

Nee, ganz gewiss nicht! ;)

Actually, this thread prompted me to go and look for it. Did not find the little bar I would so love to taste again, but did come across another chocolate that I used to love as a child. Apparently, it's only been rediscovered a short while ago, so there's still hope for my bar. :D

And yes, family has been sent pictures of the above chocolate along with a request that it be purchased and sent over pronto. :p

Hier in Berlin gibt es noch sehr viele DDR Schokoriegel, Brotaufstriche, Im Nu "Kaffee", (habe sogar vor Kurzem Tempo Erbsen ind Tempo Linsen gesehen ;))

Ich weiß. Komm ja selbst aus der Hauptstadt! ;)

rumour has it that there's a German food shop in Galway now - will check it out and report back (and if anyone manages to get there before me - please let us know what it's like! ;-))

Oh, please, please, pretty please let it be true!! :eek: I quite like going to Galway but my other half doesn't, so I always need an official reason to go there (other than visiting Marks&Sparks).

Did not find the little bar I would so love to taste again,

Which bar is it? there's loads of "Ostprodukte" shops popping up here in the last while, maybe they have it

Preusse wrote: »
    There're also some online options. I haven't tried them....yet.

Thanks for the links!

I used to be a rather regular and very satisfied customer here, but they changed ownership last year and I haven't ordered since, so can't promise that it's still up to its old standards. The product range has certainly been cut down.

• Advertisement

Which bar is it? there's loads of "Ostprodukte" shops popping up here in the last while, maybe they have it

That's the problem - I don't remember the name. It was quite a flat bar, only about half a centimeter. About 5-6 cm long and divided into three pieces that could be broken off. It was milk chocolate with a white filling. The wrapping was thin silver or gold inside with a blue outside cover. In the middle of the blue cover was a kind of oval pic of something or other...might have a been a clown, dunno. Google has so far not even indicated that anybody else out there remembers this bar, let alone miss it. :(

That's the problem - I don't remember the name. It was quite a flat bar, only about half a centimeter. About 5-6 cm long and divided into three pieces that could be broken off. It was milk chocolate with a white filling. The wrapping was thin silver or gold inside with a blue outside cover. In the middle of the blue cover was a kind of oval pic of something or other...might have a been a clown, dunno. Google has so far not even indicated that anybody else out there remembers this bar, let alone miss it. :(

Will ask the hubby later on, he might remember it

nah, I wouldn't be that mean ;-) we got our Blueberry plants in B&Q - but any decent garden center will have them. You can leave them in their containers and grow them even on the patio if you don't have the space. Ours have pretty much aken care of themselves - they do favour a certain type of soil though (slightly acidic - I think).

Off I go today to Newbridge. Hope they have them, if not ...........:mad:
    We have a BIG garden, so the plants would not be restricted in space.
    Do they do better in shade, half sun or full sun?
    Sorry for bugging you!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

nice German lady sells pretzels and dounuts at the market in Dun Laoghaire People's park everysunday.

Apart from the famous "Intershops", of course. ;)

I miss chocolate from GDR-times. A lot has reappeared, but they were some small bars which I used to buy with my pocket money - I don't remember the name. I'd nearly kill to have them again, though!

I loved the Bambi chocolate. And the one with the crushed nuts in it. It is really funny how quick we forget!
    Yea, the "West"-shops! Changing 10 East Mark to 1 DM. Crazy!!!:eek:

There it is, SCHLAGER SUESSTAFEL! This is the one with the crushed nuts!
    I was gaga for this stuff.:o

Well, this makes it look very real indeed.

Hmm...looking at the e-mail address and the job description ("occasionally on markets all over Ireland") given there, I believe I have encountered "Ripps" only last weekend here in Limerick. They sold "German" Bratwurst at the annual French Market. Unfortunately, it wasn't particularly nice. Nor authentic. I hope that's not a sign of the overall quality... :(

F.A. hm....sent hubby to check it out (after rumours in the Galway forum ;-)) - he looked in, but didnt dare to go in since there was noone else in the shop, and he was afraid they'd speak German to him....hehehe ;-)

Connewitz: Hope you got lucky with your blueberries! We have ours in the full sun, not sure what the recommendation is, but ours are doing grand ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

@galah: The Asian supermarket in Westside (next to Aldi) stocks Malzbier - they even have several kinds!

@prinz: You get the crispy onion bits in Aldi when they do their American weeks. They sell them alongside hotdogs, American ketchup and so on. I always stock up, when they have them, use them as topping on Kässpätzle :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

.. crispy onion bits ...use them as topping on Kässpätzle

Bahhh ...Todsuende !

Die Zwiebeln auf Kaesspaetzle mussen in Butter gebraeunt werden. Die braune Butter und die warmen Zwiebeln machen die Kaesspaetzle erst perfekt.

Vorgebraeunte Zwiebeln aus der Packung ...da straeubt sich des Schwaben Nackenhaar

Advertisement