Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overweight dog - advice needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

niallers1 wrote: »
    If you feed twice per day you will get twice the dog poo.

Not if you split his one meal in half, and give one half in the morning and the other in the evening. He's still getting the same amount per day just in two sittings, so how could there be more poo since what goes in=what comes out generally? :confused:
    Is Chappie food ok? We fed my old dog that, and I read good reviews that it's recommended by vets online.
    Does anyone have the price per kilo for Bakers and other good foods? I won't be in the shops for a while and I tried looking on the Tesco wesite but it doesn't seem to be working. Thanks.

Iv heard a few people say chappie is ok, though Iv never used it myself or haven't looked at the ingredients.
    Bakers is the same really as pedigree, full of artificial additives, preservatives and colourings and really isint a good food. If you look at the bag of food it should say how much they recommend you feed to your dog everyday based on his weight, generally foods like pedigree and bakers have much higher recommended daily allowances than good quality foods like JWB, Burns or orijen, this means that originally it might be cheaper but you will have to buy more of it more often, whereas better quality foods while they are a bit more expensive will last longer and work out cheaper in the long run. Have you looked at red mills leader, its about mid-range quality and is quite reasonably priced. If you buy it in bulk it would work out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

A dog has a shorter digestive tract. Not like a humans. If you feed him twice he will go for a poo twice. He will not consolidate the 2 meals to go once:)

better to have one larger one than 2 smaller ones to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry, but its actually safer to feed 2 smaller meals than one big one esp with dogs that suffer from bloat.
    One large feed isnt very good for a dog and they recommend you feed twice daily instead of once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Is Red Mills brand (Connolly's) any good? It's only €18.49 or so in Woodies, which is much cheaper than brandy. Definitely looking to change his food now.
    Thanks.

Is Red Mills brand (Connolly's) any good? It's only €18.49 or so in Woodies, which is much cheaper than brandy. Definitely looking to change his food now.
    Thanks.

Depends which Red Mills it is. They have several diff brands within red mills which range from very cheap to better quality so you would need to find out which one it is. Im guessing its the cheaper one like "Star" maybe at that price.
    The Red Mills Leader or Leader Supreme is the best one you can get in Red Mills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Just been looking at the Red Mills website. They offer:-

Leader (top range)
    http://www.redmills.ie/ie/pet/products/leader/

Winner (mid range)
    http://www.redmills.ie/ie/pet/products/other-dog-products/winner/

Classic (Bottom of the range)
    http://www.redmills.ie/ie/pet/products/other-dog-products/classic/

As andreac said Leader would be the best of the bunch. From what I can remember from Woodies (and with the price you stated) they don't sell Leader. So it might be Red Mills Pet or Red Mills Star or Red Mills Winner they sell.

Winner would be the better of the 3 but would be more expensive.

Pet, according to the website, has 20% meat which would be better than Pedigree/Bakers but the ingredients are listed as animal derivatives etc. so its hard to know what you are getting.

Star would be the lowest in quality and I would even say it's not even better than Pedigree or Bakers Complete.

Winner would have the better quality but Pet would work out better value esp. if you got a 15kg bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

The ones that they had were Star and Winner. I'm wondering if I got Winner (or is Leader better), would it be much better than Bakers or should I look for other food?
    Also, he never plays, like he won't play at all. Anything I can do to help him gain interest in it?
    Thanks.

Star and Winner arent great, quite cheap brands so Leader or Leader Supreme are the best in the Red Mills range but if you have to pick between Star or Winner pick Winner.

Advertisement