Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It WAS a fox!

Options
  • 23-06-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

If anyone remembers my thread 'do cats kill chickens' - turns out the cat was innocent, we have a visiting fox.
    Now I'm a bit worried, I've heard of foxes killing cats. There's a corner of the garden with dense cover, the cats move carefully and sniff 'on alert' when they go near. I'm thinking of chopping some of the bushes to open it up a bit, would that discourage the fox from hanging around? I feel guilty, I like foxes - I just don't want one to eat my cats:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

They won't go for every cat but they are opportunisitic so if they come across a kitten/injured/older animal they will try their luck.

Clearing the corner could help, foxes smell and their poo stinks so you would be getting a whiff if a fox is hanging about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Doubt it's very common for a fox to go for a cat but keeping cats indoors esp. at night will keep them safe from any dogs/foxes/cars etc. even if they are just brought in before dusk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

my cats have moved out for the summer, they barely condescend to come in for food. Too many yummy crunchy mouses out there;)
    I have to hope for the best I guess. Maybe if I trample around in the wild bit I'll leave my smell (!) and put off the fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's a fox because you seen a fox? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry about your cat being eaten by the fox, clear the corner if it gives you peace of mind, your "scent" won't do anything to deter the fox. You live in the suburbs or in a rural area?

rural, but in a row of houses. I've found droppings (once had a dog who rolled in fox poo so I'm a bit of an expert in that area:eek:) Also round flattened area in the long grass.
    Very small garden though, right up near the house, and it's the same area where I found the headless chicken. Hopefully the fox is well-fed:(:(:(

• Advertisement

planetX wrote: »
    rural, but in a row of houses. I've found droppings (once had a dog who rolled in fox poo so I'm a bit of an expert in that area:eek:) Also round flattened area in the long grass.
    Very small garden though, right up near the house, and it's the same area where I found the headless chicken. Hopefully the fox is well-fed:(:(:(

If you were an expert you would already know ;)

Around this time of year they would be well fed, plenty of young rabbits about, birds, rats, mice, insects and worms. They would eat berries and what not in the autum. It's winter time you would worry. Unless your cat is sick or weak then it will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Someone on here said that if you pour some of your pee around the garden it will keep foxes away!

morganafay wrote: »
    Someone on here said that if you pour some of your pee around the garden it will keep foxes away!

Yet foxes eat out of bins and wander the city streets? Don't beleive everything you hear.

Foxes with cubs will avoid humans as they become very protective of their young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Dosnt work. And neither does leaving your cut hair around etc. They avoid humans, but they become used to the smell. Bar you can stand with your cat or chickens 24/7, thats the only deterrent that works

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

If anyone remembers my thread 'do cats kill chickens' - turns out the cat was innocent, we have a visiting fox.
    Now I'm a bit worried, I've heard of foxes killing cats. There's a corner of the garden with dense cover, the cats move carefully and sniff 'on alert' when they go near. I'm thinking of chopping some of the bushes to open it up a bit, would that discourage the fox from hanging around? I feel guilty, I like foxes - I just don't want one to eat my cats:(

hi
    I did see once 3 foxes ganging up on a cat at night in a suburban area - poor kitty was hiding under a car and the 3 of them were circling around. They didn't dare to get too close for obvious reasons. Don't know if they were just trying to "bully" the cat or wanted to have him for dinner... :eek:. Chased the foxes away with a broomstick, they barely moved away a few meters... but kitty could run away, thank goodness. Keep your cats safe!!!

• Advertisement

thanks, sending my delighted 8 year old to pee in the bushes. Hope the neighbours aren't looking!:D

thanks, sending my delighted 8 year old to pee in the bushes. Hope the neighbours aren't looking!:D

Don't expect it to work, it's a myth ;)

Don't expect it to work, it's a myth ;)

still fun though:D

actually it's very good for compost heaps...

still fun though:D

actually it's very good for compost heaps...

Didn't know that, ha will try it out :P

If you are afraid of your cat getting eaten, you could put up some sort of scare crow? Or wind chimes? Not sure if they will work though.

Didn't know that, ha will try it out :P

If you are afraid of your cat getting eaten, you could put up some sort of scare crow? Or wind chimes? Not sure if they will work though.

Hmm, I'd be afraid of attracting a whole gang of foxes, sounds too much like entertainment...
    i'm reassuring myself that it's a very well-fed fox, since it only ate the chickens head! I suspect it's coming here to hunt our resident rats and mice. Hopefully fluffy cat will retreat to the treetops:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was called out once to rescue a Fox that had been mauled by a cat !. Poor chap ended up losing an eye. A cat is a serious adversary & foxes normally stay well clear.

Apparently rats form a big percentage of a fox's diet.

Advertisement