Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seachanges?

• 23-06-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hey, i was just wondering why anybody in the their right mind would make up this awful piece of music?

any help is appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

i know it's horrible and can hardly be considered music, but it's actually not too hard to learn
    i broke it up into sections and learnt the key(s) time sig (s) and then instrumental features etc.. and then learnt techniques like sul ponticello etc...all that crap =) you'll be fiiiiiine
    hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I'd consider myself to be in my right mind an I absolutely love it.

When I first heard it, obviously I hated it as everybody does - but after a while my ear completely accepted all the dissonants and irregular rhythm and everything.

People complain about it, but I suppose modern music like Seachanges is a bit like Death Metal, it only appeals to a few people! I doubt I'll make a point of listening to any more since it took so long to get into that one song, but I really like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

I don't do music as a subject and just listened to that piece for the first time.

It is incredibly disturbing and not the sort of thing I should have listened to before bed!!

Please all music students don't revise this tonight, you need your sleep!!!

On the other hand... although disturbing, it is very well done and I can see why it would be on the course to study!

Out of curiosity, if this comes up tomorrow what sort of stuff do you have to write about it?

If it's on your course as "a disturbing piece of music" or something then it makes perfect sense!

Kinda seems like the sort of thing that'd be going on in the head of a schizophrenic. Definitely chaotic.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

Euchhhh I hate it hate it hate it! @chaoticmess, it comes up every year! Hopefully it will only be a 10 marker tomorrow though! Eg. in 2009 the questions were: 1. Which theme is heard in this excerpt? 2. In the table below, write down the order (1-3) that the instruments listed are heard at the start of the exerpt.. Piano, violin, maracas. 3. They show you a picture of an instrumental technique used in the score. You have to describe it and say what instrument it is associated with. 4. Describe one feature of the music played by the piano. 5. How does the composer portray the spirit of the Danse Macabre?

:confused::confused::eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

How would you answer question 4 there? :s One feature played by the piano ?

• Advertisement

Dunnnnnnno, maybe subtraction principle or something? It'll do sure! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

I didn't know we had to know 'sections' for Seachanges :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 clairebearxx

I didn't know we had to know 'sections' for Seachanges :(

yea they're the intro, main melody and inversion, totentanz, main melody and inversion, dies irae, main melody and finally totentanz and dies irae!!! the joys!!!
    anyone think it'l b question 1 2day?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

LL92 wrote: »
    Euchhhh I hate it hate it hate it! @chaoticmess, it comes up every year! Hopefully it will only be a 10 marker tomorrow though! Eg. in 2009 the questions were: 1. Which theme is heard in this excerpt? 2. In the table below, write down the order (1-3) that the instruments listed are heard at the start of the exerpt.. Piano, violin, maracas. 3. They show you a picture of an instrumental technique used in the score. You have to describe it and say what instrument it is associated with. 4. Describe one feature of the music played by the piano. 5. How does the composer portray the spirit of the Danse Macabre?

:confused::confused::eek::confused:

haha, well I'd take a guess and say whatever the theme is it's something horrific or bad.... :P

I like music, but I am so glad I didn't do it now! I don't think I'd be able to listen to it again without feeling like I should be dissecting it! (A little like English and King Lear!)

Good Luck everyone today in it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 uuhm.

chillian17 wrote: »
    How would you answer question 4 there? :s One feature played by the piano ?

I cant remember what section is played on that question but i usually just say chord clusters for the piano! thats always a good guess, its basically all it ever does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

The hardest part is remembering the 3 different places the Main Melody features, and they're the sections they like the ask about! I remember it like

A1 - The first appearance so this is easy, MM on violin & cello then piccolo and marimba
    A2 - After Totentanz, this is the one with the MM as a drone on strings, the weird counter melody on flute and the rainstick
    A3 - The MM on flute and piano when the Totentanz rhythm keeps interrupting, before the Coda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Raymond Deane is hero, musical prodigy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mayrk

Ok now let's get this straight, the words "Raymond Deane" and "Music" don't even belong near each other, let alone the word hero. And I'd assume he will be coming up in Q.1 today, as my teacher said he wouldn't, and my teacher is an idiot. That's my basis:D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I hope that this is Music's Boland. Hoping for a Berlioz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

G'luck y'all! :D

ANYONE get these answers? :P

1. Introduction
    2. Gong, Cymbal, Maracas. . . harmonics
    3. A

4. (fill in notes)
    5. Left hand pizzicato. . cello, violin
    6. 4 quavers. . the maracas play that rhythm to provide accompaniment and introduce the Danse Macabre. . (something like that)

7. Augmentation and Retrograde & explain
    8. note clusters & explain
    9. ramble on about the contrast of the beaches and the words of the song :p

1. Marche au supplice movement 4
    2. I think I said cello, not sure?
    3. 2 oct
    4. monophonic I think it was?
    5. bassoon playing countermelody and tick the last box. . mixture of semiquavers and dotted quavers. . and crotchets
    6. cant remember what I said for how the music differs. . meh
    7. idee fixe follows this excerpt?

1. B section
    2. A major
    3. cant remember what I said for melody, but for accompaniment the alberti bass is staccato in one and legato in the other?
    4. canon and descending scales
    5. after the excerpt i said the A section is repeated cause the movement is in ternary form ABA bla blabla. . :pac:

1. 3/4
    2. something contrary motion anyway. .
    3. imitation homophonic crotchet chords
    4. polyphonic one sings directly after the other 2 independant melodic lines. .
    5. the middle box ending on E. . perfect cadence?

1. I said hornpipe 4/4 but I think it was a v. slow reel I found out afterwards. Hopefully still get marks for 4/4 :D
    2. Harp
    3. AABB ( i think )

1. Accordian & fiddle.
    2. aaamm lack of dynamics & cant remember the other. . ornamentation?
    3. use of non trad instruments. . guitar.

1. fusion of traditional (traditional instruments are played.. bagpipes? :confused:) and classical (orchestra)

essay: sean nos rambled away off the top of my head. . a load of **** :p

1. fill in notes (badly :P)
    2. ascending scales at higher pitch
    3. ABAB

1. the 1st one. . (G) played by trumpet? :confused:
    2. minor
    3. i said syllabic singing but DUH SYNCOPATION :p

1. countermelody
    2. line 4
    3. homophonic
    4. more voices, more accompaniment, more dynamics. . somethin like that!

please let me know if ye got the same answers, i'm a ***** for postmortems :P
    not looking for anything fantastic a C1 or that would be nice. . :rolleyes:

Advertisement