Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 stone of lard

Options
  • 23-06-2010 9:03pm

I tried this before, and felt it was a great way to keep myself on track for the short time I stuck to it.

Felt writing down at the end of the day, what you did with the day, was a good reminder of what you'd been doing.

Sadly, last time I tried eating right and hitting the gym, I gave up after a short couple of weeks and went back to eating ****e and doing nothing.

Hopeing things will work out better for me this time as, this time I don't really feel as forced or anything. I've been keeping track of my intake of food since last monday and haven't really felt like caving in (just yet).

I'm hovering in and around the 18 stone mark, am a lazy bastard who gets very anxious around people and spends 90% of his time in his room. I try to get to the gym every weekday, at 6.30am or 7.00am (when it opens) to get in before everyone else and have the place to myself for the short while I'm there.

I've made up my own Gym routine, which consists of a few different weight movements that take me about 40-50 minutes to complete. Last week I did ten minutes of cardio, on the recumbant, each day. Monday and yesterday I did a half an hour of cardio (mostly treadmill/recumbant) and in my head I plan to move up to an hour of cardio in two weeks per day.

I was in the gym yesterday and my runners, somehow, managed to beat the crap out of my second-to-small toe on the left foot, so I'm currently giving up cardio as I can barely walk with runners/shoes on. I was going to the gym this morning (about a 15 minute walk from my house) but turned around halfway as it was really painful. Purchased a new pair of runners online earlier today, but they're not expected to arrive until 7-14 days after ordering, so I'm planning to keep the cardio light and non-impact (cross trainer/recumbant) until they arrive.

I'm trying to count calories, too. My goal is to stay under 1,000 calories per day. However, I kind of just get a vague iea of what calorie content a food has, and I generally try to round it off to the next hundred.

For example, I value an egg at 100 calories, because I read on a packet of eggs that they're approx 87 calories. A slice of bread is 100 calories, too, as I read on a packet of brown bread that a slice is 77 cals, and a packet of white bread that a slice is 96 (i try to stick to brown, though).

I eat a lot of those Lidl/Aldi ready-made frozen dinners. They range from between 350-500 calories, so I take them at the value on the box.

For example; today I ate;

10:00 - Omelette (3 eggs) (I value it at 300 calories)
    17:00 - Lidl frozen dinner (cals; box says 496, so 500 to me)
    21:00 - Salt/Vinegar Crisp Sandwiches (196 for the King, according to the pack, and 100 per bread slice, so 600 cals).

That's 1,400; which is 400 over what I aim for, but I don't normally eat the crisps (they were just there, so... :o )

I also drink lots of tea throughout the day, which I'm sure carries calories, but I don't count it (even though I probably should) because I'd go mad without tea during the day.

I'm not particularly looking for other people's comments or opinions (though of course, they are always welcomed and appreciated!), I'm more doing this thread as something for me, myself, to reflect on and to let me type to myself, in an attempt to try and not give up as easy as I did last time.

... So that's my life story! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i'm not an expert but i think the 1000 calorie idea is a bad one. there's a good sticky at the top of the fitness forum where you can work out your daily calorie needs, then you can work out how you should adjust it for gradual weight loss.

the sticky also helps explain the different things you need to lose weight - the main one being eat more veg and less crap. cut out the crisps for starters.

my half thoughts.

++ edit .. leg should be veg .. eat more veg .. not leg .. VEG!

Random wrote: »
    i'm not an expert but i think the 1000 calorie idea is a bad one. there's a good sticky at the top of the fitness forum where you can work out your daily calorie needs, then you can work out how you should adjust it for gradual weight loss.

the sticky also helps explain the different things you need to lose weight - the main one being eat more leg and less crap. cut out the crisps for starters.

my half thoughts.

Eat more leg? :confused:

And I flicked through the sticky before. I think, using the formula provided in the thread, my calorie intake should be in and around the 2,500 mark. It's a while since I did it, and I don't really buy into it.

It makes things too complex. I know myself that an egg is a healthier alternative to Dairy Milk, and Water is better than Coke. I try to get a vague idea of calories (As i said above) and work around that to reach my 1,000 per day.

It's nice and simple, so I can stick to it. I know that if I start going into detail with my diet, then I'll just get frustrated or perplexed and give it up. As it is at the moment, I'm getting by with my 1,000 calories per day idea pretty well.

I hope that being on 1,000 calories per day will aid in weight loss. I hope that my daily gym sessions will also encourage weight loss, and build muscle.

Your "eat more leg" comment intrigues me though. Is that an acronym or something? (or a spell mistake?).

EDIT: Ahhh... Veg makes more sense alright. Don't know how I didn't manage to figure that one out :o Sorry man.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I know what you mean about not wanting to have to go into detail with your diet, but 1,000 really is too low, especially if you're exercising daily. I know you didn't really ask for comments though and that's fair enough.

G86 wrote: »
    I know what you mean about not wanting to have to go into detail with your diet, but 1,000 really is too low, especially if you're exercising daily. I know you didn't really ask for comments though and that's fair enough.

Is it really too low though?

I've been bouncing around 900-1,200 (or thereabouts) most days since last week and have only really felt hungry before my next food intake (I estimate i'll inevitably eat every 6 hours or so, but won't eat before bed).

I've been feeling grand and haven't really felt weak or anything. I'm not starving myself, either.

Unless its because I'm a fat bastard; maybe I can get away with so few calories for a few weeks whilst my body adjusts? I dunno how it works, to be honest. :confused:

I do have a question though; one that only crossed my mind earlier today;

Using random numbers; Let's say I'm 20 stone and I eat 2,000 calories per day. I then decide to diet and start eating 1,000 calories. I lost 10 stone. I'm not 10 stone, and my diet has been 1,000 cals per day.

Is 1,000 calories my new intake forever? If I keep at 1,000 will I continue to go down in weight, to 9 stone, 8, stone, etc. or, to keep at 10 stone, do i go back to the average male intake (2,500, i think?). Or does going back to the average intake result in you putting the weight back on?

:confused:

Sorry if that's worded a little sloppy, but I hope you see what I mean?

EDIT; Yeah, I didn't really ask for comments, but I'm of course more than happy to hear people's thoughts. Although I don't plan to change my current food approach, as it's currently working for me and, to me, that's all that matters right now, it's always nice to be a little more educated on the subject through casual chat, I find.

So thank you, to both of ye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

One thousand would be low enough for a small woman, let alone a man of your height and weight who intends on exercising. It would be very hard to sustain that in the run imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Forget about calorie numbers for a minute, and think about what's IN the calories. Your 1,000 cals a day consists of carb heavy processed food - e.g. the frozen meal and crisp sandwiches, and this is exactly the kind of food you should be cutting out.

Just to give you a comparison, I'm a woman who's 5'10' and 73kg, I eat around 1500 cals a day - I NEED those calories in order to be healthy and get through my workouts(and even 1500 is low). If those cals simply consisted of crisps and m&s meals I guarantee my gym sessions wouldn't go too well. Whenever I have lost weight it hasn't been by simply reducing my cal intake, it's by reducing my intake of sugar/carbs/processed food etc. You need to start cooking, start reading food labels, and just be more aware of what's in the food you're eating. I understand that you want to lose the weight quickly, but what you're doing is crash dieting, it's not sustainable and I'm no expert but I'd say it's going to play havoc with your metabolism.

Would you maybe consider posting in the nutritional forum for some advice? There are some really knowledgeable people there. Even if you're adamant about sticking to the 1,000 cals, at least make sure that the calories you're taking in are of some benefit to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Too few calories. And I don't like the excuses with the cardio. Hit the rowing machine or the bike.

Billy; I avoid the rowing machine like the plague. Always feel like everyone's watching me when I get on it. Wasn't made for my ass at all :(

As I said in my first post, I'm still doing cardio, but not much til I either get my new runners or my toe gets back to itself. Was actually thinking of going barefoot (my toe is OK, so long as it's not inside a shoe/runner/etc) but I don't know if that's a good idea, either.

G86; I understand what you're saying. I agree with you and to be honest, I have a fair idea of what is and isn't good for me. Crisp sandwiches are a rarity. Had them today, probably won't have another crisp sandwich for a month. They were just there, so I wanted them. Thankfully the house is now practically sweets-free.

I've made up a small food list, and a calorie approximate, of things I eat. I'll copy/paste it below, but it's worth noting that the calories are very wild approximates. I don't know how accurate they are;

2 Weetabix & milk = 200 Cal
    2 chicken fillets (Lidl) = 400 Cal
    2 Grilled Rashers, 1 slice toast, ¼ tin beans = 400 Cal
    2 Eggs (Scrambled) & 2 Slices of Toast & Tea = 500 Cal
    1 Ham tomato lettuce sandwich (1 sandwich = 2 slices bread) & tea = 500 Cal
    ½ (John West?) Salmon tin, 2 slices bread (buttered) and onion = 400

That's a sort of vague reflection of what my diet's been like the past week and a half. Ate two doughnuts ( :o ) last thursday, and the crisp sandwich today, but I think those are the only things I ate that aren't mentioned above (so far)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Hey KKV,

First of well done for realizing the place you were in was not a good place. And fair play to you for working towards doing something about it. Kudos my friend.

I would recommend that you set up to this site. www.dailyburn.com. Its a fantastic way to keep a diary of you food intake, also will help you to set targets and really see what's going into you body on a daily basis. Soon enough you'll get to know what is in what for most of the foods you eat. And believe me, saying something is 'around' X calories..No good my friend.

You know yourself, but I'll point out the obvious: Cut the crap out of the diet. Crisp sandwich etc!

You calorie intake is way to low. The above site will give you recommendations of your intake, going by you weight height etc.

Set targets as well. Of course you have you main goal, but if you only work towards that then you'll give up soon enough as you'll not feel you reaching it quick enough. Realistic goals, but ones that will make you work hard.

nothings easy, especially losing weight ad the only way to do it is through hard work. Its up to you buddy. But the folks here on the boards are great for advise.

Start a log here and keep us updated. And if you feel you slacking off, we'll all give you a kick up the arse!!

Best of luck.

Cheers Apip99.

I signed up to that site and after saying im "lightly active" and giving my height/weight, they said;
    "We estimate that you'll burn about 3,202 Cals a day from normal daily activity and exercise. To maintain weight, we recommend that you eat about 3,202 calories a day."

I'm a little surprised by that to be honest. 3,202 Cals? That's a fair bit!

I'll mooch about more on the site later on :)

Today I went to the gym and did...

Squats @ 50kg (+ Oly barbell)
    Military Press @ 35kg
    Bicep Curl @ 12.5kg (for each arm)
    Tricep Press Down @ 30kg
    Deadlift @ 50kg (+ Oly barbell)

I did five sets of five. (ie; 5 squats, 5 military press, 5 bicep curl, etc. and then repeat for four more sets)

(Note; "Oly barbell" is thrown in there because I believe the Olympic barbells in my gym weigh 20kg on their own, without any weight added to them?)

I didn't do any cardio today. I doubt I'll get to the gym again now til monday, and hopefully my left foot will be ready to go by then again (though I will avoid the treadmill until i get my new runners).

• Advertisement

That would sound about right to be fair. I know it sounds like a lot, and of course is just a guide. But like another poster said, you'll be burning calories at the gym, so you'll need them to be able keep up with all the exercise you'll be doing.

Out of interest, have you got a routine sorted out at the gym, as in have you spoken with and instructor and got an assessment? If not, I would recommend you do. Again goals and routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Cheers Apip99.

I signed up to that site and after saying im "lightly active" and giving my height/weight, they said;
    "We estimate that you'll burn about 3,202 Cals a day from normal daily activity and exercise. To maintain weight, we recommend that you eat about 3,202 calories a day."

I'm a little surprised by that to be honest. 3,202 Cals? That's a fair bit!

I think you're severely underestimating the effects of a super low calorie diet on your health and well being, and also underestimating how many calories you use in a day. I'm 16 stone and I imagine I use 3k or more a day (I don't track it in detail but I have an idea at this stage what's going in). I don't think anyone's trying to give out or whatever here, but think about it this way everyone who's commented so far has pointed out that this diet plan is not optimal to put it politely, I think you have to consider that there's a reason for this agreement.

Apip99 wrote: »
    That would sound about right to be fair. I know it sounds like a lot, and of course is just a guide. But like another poster said, you'll be burning calories at the gym, so you'll need them to be able keep up with all the exercise you'll be doing.

Out of interest, have you got a routine sorted out at the gym, as in have you spoken with and instructor and got an assessment? If not, I would recommend you do. Again goals and routine.

I haven't really got a gym program as such. What I said above about the weights, well I do that all the time, and will add weight when necessary. If the place is still empty when i'm finished, i'll do some machine weights or more squats, or just anything else to pass the time, but it usually takes me about 40 minutes to do my little routine, and there's usually someone else after appearing by then, so I put everything away and leave them be.

The gym I go to; I asked an instructor before for a program. My brother did, too. My brother's in much better shape than me (about 12/13 stone at most, fairly fit, has an active job and such) and one of the trainers at the gym, put us on the cross trainer and treadmill for ten minutes, showed us how to use the weights machines and pretty much just gave us identical programs to follow.

Considering the difference between me and my brother, for us both to get the same program has made me lose any interest in ever getting a program off them again.

They actually have program cards decorated in the centre of the gym now, with a few different generic workouts printed on them that anyone can pick up and read. I'd rather make my own way around (though that said, I do ask them for help if Im gonna try something new. Last week was my first time dong squats with a barbell, so i asked for one of them to watch me and point out flaws, etc.).

I think you're severely underestimating the effects of a super low calorie diet on your health and well being, and also underestimating how many calories you use in a day. I'm 16 stone and I imagine I use 3k or more a day (I don't track it in detail but I have an idea at this stage what's going in). I don't think anyone's trying to give out or whatever here, but think about it this way everyone who's commented so far has pointed out that this diet plan is not optimal to put it politely, I think you have to consider that there's a reason for this agreement.

I'm definitely not arguing with people. Chances are, if anyone here advises on my diet, then they know a lot more than I do.

I understand that posters have posted here with good intentions, and it is likely that I'll re-read this thread a few times and try to get the most out of the advice given, but for right now, I don't really see or feel a downside to my 'super low calorie' diet.

I don't feel like I'm starving myself, nor do i feel weak or anything, so it's not giving me any real issues, you know. If I do start to have diet/hunger problems, I most certainly will not be afraid to up the calories I take in. :pac:

Regarding;
    I'm 16 stone and I imagine I use 3k or more a day

Are you active during the day, though? Aside from going to the gym, I do quite literally nothing except sit in front of my PC.

One day a week I'll meet up with a friend of mine, and that usually just involves sitting around in her house, so there's only ten minutes of walking to and from, and then another day per week I might head out with my camera for a bit of a walk and to play about with it. This walk would usually take an hour or two (but would be very casual). (I'm not working, so no job to go to, either).

Aside from what I do in the gym, I'm not really at all active. I can't imagine my body uses as many calories as the average person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Are you active during the day, though? Aside from going to the gym, I do quite literally nothing except sit in front of my PC.

Most days I cycle to college/shop/gym, but that barely counts. the rest of the time I'm reading at my laptop or at the library. You seem to be ignoring the fact that your body uses calories just existing.

When people turn up at a gym some instructors will give every one pretty much the same, as they dont want to be wasting time on a program per person, as a lot of people will get over their keen attack and not bother going to the gym after a few weeks. But if you are really going to do this, then you need to have a routine. no point floating around from machine to machine, doing a bit here and a bit there. There are plent of programs out and about. Personaly I would recomens the Strong Lifts 5x5 http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

I'm on the program and a few others on here. Could't recommend it highly enough. Although I'm bulking up, you will see on their forum there are people like you slimming down. Have a look and a read though.

In regards to others at the gym. You need to get to a place in your head where you can work out and not worry about other people there. At least you are doing something about it. I've never heard a bad word directed to a larger person at a gym. I know that is easier said than done, but in the long run, it'll be great for you.

Advertisement