Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question. Please help.

• 23-06-2010 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I have a question for all you sparks. I live in a 10 year old 3 bed duplex. The whole house is electrical, i.e storage heating etc. About 3 nights ago it all started. I woke up in the morning to find something had shorted and the main switch in the middle of the board had moved to the centre position. This happened the next day too. All the numbers on the board do not correspond properly to their switches, but i have narrowed it down to the immersion heater which comes on at night. I think the immmersion heater stops at 9.am so after that time, i now use the booster switch on the panel in the hot press. I will get a sparks in, but i'd like to know the problem first and would it be a big job? Thanks all.;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Going on the info there it could be a short circuit in on of the immersion heater elements, easily tested with a multi meter. Better off to get a sparks out to look at it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

If its not tripping when you use the booster it usually means the other element is gone and therefore shorting (tripping the breaker), its not a massive job.
    Most electricians will replace the element for you but some will want you to get a plumber incase of airlocking the system,

Ian

edit: Like bassy said best to get a qualified electrician to check it out, If your in the Meath/Dublin area PM me and id be happy to give you a number for a qualified sparks ive worked with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

IPAM wrote: »
    If its not tripping when you use the booster it usually means the other element is gone and therefore shorting (tripping the breaker), its not a massive job.
    Most electricians will replace the element for you but some will want you to get a plumber incase of airlocking the system,

Ian

edit: Like bassy said best to get a qualified electrician to check it out, If your in the Meath/Dublin area PM me and id be happy to give you a number for a qualified sparks ive worked with
    Thanks for the replies. BTW Could you give me a ballpark price for replacing element etc?
    Thanks again;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Depends on the Sparks, some will try rip you off :( but I'd say between €140 and €170

Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

IPAM wrote: »
    Depends on the Sparks, some will try rip you off :( but I'd say between €140 and €170

Ian

Thanks again;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement