Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v England, Sunday 3pm

• 23-06-2010 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Germany weren't great tonight but still have impressed far more than England, should be an interesting game.

Deutschland vor!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

so england will prob crash out again to the germans
    this will be devastating for english football

it should be the glamour tie of the 2nd round though
    rooney needs to pull up his socks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Germany to go through on penos:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think England will go through, possibly AET

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Can't wait for it. It will be entertaining whatever happens.

England seriously need to up their game to stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

Can't wait. hope we won't be seeing stupid headlines such as
    "Achtung! Surrender! For You Fritz, ze Euro 96 Championship is over" from those rag papers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

based on the group games id fancy germany, but if theres one team to wake up the english itd be the germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I'd back Germany... but it will be tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

That's the game where the WC really starts for me, that's what I want to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dur-du-da-da,
    dur-du-da-da
    de da
    de da
    de dah!

etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

England have been pure muck, the Germans have been a fair bit better, hard to see anything but a German win unless England find the other gear we know they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

England will need a serious improvement to beat Germany is my first impression.

Germany havent looked bad in this tournament.

Even playing with one man less for 60mins against Serbia they still were the better team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

should be good game , be interesting to see what team england pick and if schweinsteiger makes it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Wow.Even The Sun havent started writing about this game yet! Thumbs up Boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

DubDani wrote: »
    That's the game where the WC really starts for me, that's what I want to see.

Or going to the WC - when down the pub:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

redout wrote: »
    England will need a serious improvement to beat Germany is my first impression.

Germany havent looked bad in this tournament.

Even playing with one man for 60mins against Serbia they still were the better team.

Ah they had more than one now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

lol @ Kevin Keegan

"Germany have shown a high level, we havent played at that level yet, so yes we can win"

:confused:

if england get thru this i predict they will win the WC

sir john terry etc

Keegan on form!

Anyway here is the secret to Englands future success. Hic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

conno16 wrote: »
    if england get thru this i predict they will win the WC

sir john terry etc

Nah they would then most likely have Argentina in the q-final. England v Argentina in a World Cup Quarter Final....now where have I seen that before?!

• Advertisement

Hoki wrote: »
    Ah they had more than one now ;)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

How will England cope with Ozil?

That to me is the key question. Barry will have to stop him playing and I don't think he will be able to. Therefore, I'm backing Germany.

But it will be very tight. Could go to penos :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Judging on the group stages, you'd have to favour Germany. England haven't impressed me at all bar for a segment of the first half today.

this version is for intellectual debate

the other is for mindless predictions, cheap shots at lamps, cashley and jt

mike65 wrote: »

Both posted at 21.21 so this might've been the 1st one no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

this version is for intellectual debate

That's like Karl Pilkington starting a thread on the meaning of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Germany were impressive against Australia (who ended up not losing another game in the tournament). They actually played quite well against Serbia but were undone by some terrible refereeing, bad luck, and Lukas Podolski having a bit of a nightmare in front of goal. Tonight they weren't great, particularly at the back, but did enough to grind out the win they needed.

England were crap against USA. Crap against Algeria. Decent for the first half against Slovenia today, but not great again in the second.

I guess that points to a German win, but it's very close to call. England certainly need to step up a gear though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

This thread is going to get messy :D Any news on the German player's who seem doubtful for sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

if this match doesnt end with penalties ill be so dissapointed

• Advertisement

I'd have to go for Germany.
    Schweinsteiger and Ozil will give them problems from midfield. Klose is back too. Can be very effective, but maybe his effect is ephemeral.

If England continue with Barry they will be found out - he was a disaster today. They'll be up for it, but I don't think they have anything this World Cup. They've shown me nothing.

Hopefully this will just be the play-pen warm-up for the game and we'll have a fresh thread on matchday. (this'll prolly get locked anyway!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

There's no doubt this will awaken the bulldog spirit etc. I think if England play well they can beat these Gerrys, although the return of Klose might help them up front, I don't rate that Kakau bloke.

Looking forward to/dreading the Sun and English hype.

England 2 Germany 0

terry, gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

England 2 Germany 0

terry, gerrard

Its not on till sunday:p:p

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    There's no doubt this will awaken the bulldog spirit etc. I think if England play well they can beat these Gerrys, although the return of Klose might help them up front, I don't rate that Kakau bloke.

Looking forward to/dreading the Sun and English hype.

And your location is the other side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Barry gave the ball away a few times stupidly as did the back line, they will be punished by Germany. The lack of pace of Carragher and Terry will play a huge factor, to Germany's advantage. If Rooney can play his usual standard for Man Utd then the German defence will have trouble. Neither of Germanys choices for left back are strong and they could definitely be exploited by Milner and Johnson linking up as they did. Defoe is quite small so he wont win many balls in the air. If James makes any mistakes you can bet Klose will take advantage.

I think Germany will win, but England could win it if they make a vast improvement.

Edit: Scary stat for England: The last time Germany got knocked out of World Cup Finals before the quarter-finals was 1938

Germany 7/4 in 90 minutes... Seems very attractive to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

come on ze Germans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Morzadec wrote: »
    Germany 7/4 in 90 minutes... Seems very attractive to me

Shambolic to be honest.

England are virtually the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

2 WORLD WARS AND 1 WORLD CUP!!!!:o;)

Come on the England!!!

That's the heart finished talking... now the head will take over:

It will be a tight, tight game. Despite Germany's trouncing of Australia and that 4-0 notwithstanding, neither side have been thoroughly impressive, but the Germans have shown great measures of class and I do think they were misfortunate against Serbia.

England have not been good at all, and even today (with a much better performance) they were not dominant over a very poor Slovenia.

It will be a tight game as England's heads will be up more, the Germans will also be spoiling for this game. 2-1 either way, IMO.

If it goes to penos tho, the Germans are a model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Expect the Germans to prevail on Sunday having played the better football and better opposition in the group stage. They are also not shy of goals and can only get better.
    England have been hugely disappointing and need to be put of their misery before they bring down the whole tournament. FFS, can you see them doing anything against Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

This thread is going to get messy :D

ye I think I'm going to stay away from this one. Four days of prematch banter will earn me a permaban at some stage me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

playing germany will actually suit england's style, breaking up play and hitting a team on the counter-attack

i really do fancy england's chances, must go down to the bookies first thing tommorow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

England have to improve 10-fold.

Ozil will give them nightmares.

Lahm, if played at left-full will give Johnson a massive headache; Milner will be pushed back as a result.

the only chance England have is if Germany aren't clinical.

i expect Germany to have more chances throughout the game; it's whether they take enough of them.

all the same; fascinating match, and that's even without the history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I predict a comfortable win for Germany. A goal per half; 2-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Clashes with a rather large GAA match between Dubby land and the Royals, going to be a choosey afternoon but will watch the beautiful game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Going to be a hard one to predict, we know what Germany can do when at their best but England have not once been close to their best. If England start playing to their ability it will be a close match. Germany should edge it but it really could go either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Football wins if Germany wins. I want the Germans to go far. Good football side. Watching England is boring.

Rooney off form=England don't have much of a chance IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

rooney couldn't score in a brothel at the mo

(maybe thats where he wants to be)

• Advertisement
Advertisement