Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v England, Sunday 3pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

noodler wrote: »
    Anyway, I don't see your point tbh -

I mean FIFA will be surely embarrassed about this incident happening at the actual WC, in front of the eyes of the world vs happening in a qualifier where not everyone was watching.
    It exposes FIFA's policies and Blatters ignorance if ya get me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Giles: I think there'll be changes now to the game after this particular incident.

I was thinking the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Brady is right . . Blatter is a complete stupid Cnut . .

But what about Germany in the first 30mins , is it unfair to say that England were simply awful or was it (I think so anyways) that Germany were playing the best football of the tournie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Livvie wrote: »
    Which forum is that? I've seen far more sympathy for the Irish than the opposite.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Why technology? Would an official on the touchline not suffice in this case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Sh1t will hit the fan after the match.

Ashley Cole is going to attack a supporter? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

OPENROAD wrote: »
    But we can't get over it

You're the one who brought it up in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

ragg wrote: »
    Football 365?? they won't take it well and you will get banned, if the roumers are to believed about how much that site has been sanitised
    Nah, it's a relitively small site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Pity it probably wont end up 2-1

• Advertisement

Fair point they did acknowledge that, but they didn't say anything about their pre-match analysis that Germany were "average" and that few of their players would make the England side.

That was mad all right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

To be fair, the assistant was in the worst possible angle to see it. From where he stood, given the angle of the bounce relative to the line, you actually wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a ball that bounced on the line and that one by Lampard.

Secondly, it's easy for us on TV because we're at an elevated angle, the angle of the goal mouth isn't as shallow so it's much easier to see where the ball actually bounces on the grass. The assistant doesn't have that, where it bounces on the ground isn't as easy, he can really only guess from the flight of the ball in the air as to its depth relative to the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

After he marries and cheats on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭briany

How juicy it will be if England lose as a result of this decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Surely John Terry!

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I mean FIFA will be surely embarrassed about this incident happening at the actual WC, in front of the eyes of the world vs happening in a qualifier where not everyone was watching.
    It exposes FIFA's policies and Blatters ignorance if ya get me.

If you are saying that the WC is simply a larger stage then fair enough but its sad if Fifa need it to be that big (or to involve countries this big) before they act.

Also, the Ireland-France game was actually hugely high-profile. Obviously not as big as the WC last 16 with Eng and Ger but I mean they could hardly have been thinking "well, no one really saw the game in Paris...".

I am glad the debate is back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Omg shearer called England inept :o

He knows what he's talking about there, nobody know about playing in inept teams like Alan Shearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

@SeppBlatter that's blatters twitter just sent him message moaning about goal line technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'll be November 2009 all over agian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Blatter will be praying that either England win or Germany win by a few goals because he knows otherwise he'll face another big controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

+1
    Echo that. Short sighted comment originally.

• Advertisement

Which forum is that? I've seen far more sympathy for the Irish than the opposite.
    +1

I saw far more LOLs, or thank god the better footballing team is going through etc.

Also, stupid, irrelevant arguments like "well they should have won in normal time".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

briany wrote: »
    How juicy it will be if England lose as a result of this decision.

No , we will have to listen to it until they get a dodgy decision in future world cups . .

For footballing reasons I would prefer Germany to go through (they play great football), because it would be really good to watch England v Argentina, it would be great to see England go through .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Is there anyone else here who really wants to see this go to penalties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Oh how I laughed at the farce on display

1. The farce of all these England 'megastars' who play absolutely woefully for their country

2. The farce of the German defence who have allowed England a way back in

3. The farce of Blatter

After what happened with the Henry handball, I can't understand why any Ireland fan would be taking satisfaction from this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I find it amusing it takes an injustice of this scale to actually get the Engish out of their stupour and play with a bit of hunger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Sepp Blatter needs to get some sky plus in, pause, rewind, fast forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Look at Shearers face, he looks proper pissed off

Liam Brady is really upset :p

If you are saying that the WC is simply a larger stage

yep thats what i'm saying, and
    its sad if Fifa need it to be that big (or to involve countries this big) before they act.

this is so true, the fact that its happened to a big boy is probably the main reason why things will change. Also if say Duff had done the handball against the French and we'd scored there I'd say FIFA may have stepped in. Sure they changed the rules to seed the big boys in the playoff matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm still saying Germany to win by one. Normal time or extra time I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

John Bull will whinge if they lose and crash out it will be due to that decision. perhaps they should remember how insipid they were against Algeria and USA.

These things happen in football. Tough shít, get over it.

I still reckon they will win 4-2 though.

Look at Shearers face, he looks proper pissed off

Can't blame him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Where's Dunphy when you need him?

After what happened with the Henry handball, I can't understand why any Ireland fan would be taking satisfaction from this

Because it may force the issue with regards Fifa?

I think you need to disentangle the causes for satisfaction here. Some people are just happy England didn't score rather than it having anything to do with a controversial incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

even after it bounces back up on a back spin, its so far over the line it hits the bar again! (if you know what i mean)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Soft pen to make amends? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Giles: I think there'll be changes now to the game after this particular incident.

I was thinking the same.

Unfortunately I dont think there will. Blatter will make excuses and hope it eventually goes away.

Agreed - we know how much of a sickener it is. Don't get me wrong i'm up for germany but I feel for the English fans at this moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Agree, getting cheated hurts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It is more to do with 66 for me, they do go on about it. Not satisfaction because I was glad they scored to make it a good match, just it is funny to watch after Henry.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I really hope England win now, to go into half time a goal behind because of that in a world cup knock out round match is terrible. German goalie saw it clearly and didnt own up so im all on for cheering for ingerland for the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Surely the keeper should have said something and keep the honour in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I really hope England win now,

Lets not get carried away

• Advertisement

Bet Lampard is regretting that ad now.
    The final is the most watched event ever on British television, as of September 2009, attracting 32.60 million viewers. In Germany, a goal resulting from a shot bouncing off the crossbar and hitting the line is called a Wembley-Tor (Wembley Goal) due to the controversial nature of Hurst's second goal. This goal has been parodied a large number of times. Some of the most notable include:

England's third goal was referenced in a 2006 Adidas advertisement, where English midfielder Frank Lampard takes a shot at German keeper Oliver Kahn, and a similar event happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_FIFA_World_Cup_Final#Cultural_impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Anyone know if the refs/linesmen have TVs in their dressing room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote: »
    Definate goal. The worst thing about it is that it was absolutely sensational from Lampard, and imo would have been the goal of the tournament. Amazing lob.

Second thing, amazing that the first goal was actually offside. I didnt spot it, nor did anyone it seems, until that replay 5 minutes later. Absolutely awful defending from Terry.

Indeed Terry has been all over the shop, and Upson not much better, but at least he made up for it with a goal.

Lampard and Gerrard are the ones making things happen. Gerrard's cross set up the goal and Lampard all but scored.

I still think their system just doesnt work. Lampard and Gerrard keep making forward runs and the defence has nobody to pass the ball to. Barry is **** when in possession, and England are struggling because of it. I'd bring on Carrick for Barry, since Barry isn't giving much protection anyway. Milner is still a threat, but I think some pace is needed on the wings, so either him or Gerrard has to go.

They have the better of this German side in terms of players, but their system just doesnt work.

There is no Offside direct from a goal kick, goal was perfectly valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Not satisfaction , just we all knew it would happen again and what a time for it to occur , the biggest game yet in WC10 with Blatter in the crowd and 2 huge FA's involved .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

ragg wrote: »
    Lets not get carried away

I hope they win too, no way do I want to listen to the English media ****e on about this for the best part of forever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement