Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v England, Sunday 3pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

OPENROAD wrote: »
    After what happened with the Henry handball, I can't understand why any Ireland fan would be taking satisfaction from this

It's a crying shame. I'm rooting for Germany simply because I like the team but this game has been ruined now. Blatter sucks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

ragg wrote: »
    Linesman was a mile off pace. Its a fúcking shocking decision not to give that goal, it was clearly over the line

Nope he was in line with the shot where should he have been at the corner flag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Balmed Out wrote: »
    German goalie saw it clearly and didnt own up so im all on for cheering for ingerland for the second half.

As if he would own up to that in fairness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Best player on the park so far in this game for either side has been Frank Lampard imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

noodler wrote: »
    I saw far more LOLs, or thank god the better footballing team is going through etc.

Also, stupid, irrelevant arguments like "well they should have won in normal time".

We're obviously on different sites.

Though seeing the comments on here, you could say that it doesn't matter where you are, opinions will be divided and you get exactly the same kind of attitude all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

And thats why Lahm is called a dwarf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Surely the keeper should have said something and keep the honour in football.

The keeper couldn't see it, he was falling from his dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

PHB wrote: »
    Definate goal. The worst thing about it is that it was absolutely sensational from Lampard, and imo would have been the goal of the tournament. Amazing lob.

Second thing, amazing that the first goal was actually offside. I didnt spot it, nor did anyone it seems, until that replay 5 minutes later. Absolutely awful defending from Terry.

I don't think you can be offside if you recieve the ball directly, which he did, from a goal kick - so there was nothing wrong there.

Regardless of how many chances Germany have had, it is goals that win games. The only fact we know is that it should be 2-2, and it is a disgrace to think that we don't have goal line technology.

Unfortunetly we will still be harping on about it in years to come on occasions like this.

The English defense has been a shambles, other than that it is the same problem, they refuse to get it wide. It is all way too central, the moments when they have used Milner to effect have been dangerous.

Game is still on anyways. Should be a good 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

honestly it is very likely that the referee wants to even things up here, English players should dive lightly in the penalty box imo as it could work out well...

Surely the keeper should have said something and keep the honour in football.

Would you? He'd likely never play for Germany again.

Nice thought but it would never, ever happen - not in a game as important as this.

No one should blame the German goalie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I hope they win too, no way do I want to listen to the English media ****e on about this for the best part of forever.
    No mention of the Irish media (and the FAI) banging on about Paris or the "let's make Ireland the 33rd team"? Our media can be just as jingoistic as their English counterparts.

TripleAce wrote: »
    honestly it is very likely that the referee wants to even things up here, English players should dive lightly in the penalty box imo as it could work out well...

Would not be surprised if that happened at all

Germany need to keep possesion if they don't want to conceed again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Where's Dunphy when you need him?

Madness that he is not on the panel today. I think that is the 2nd England game of this tournament that RTE have not had him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

how do you expect the keeper to see it, it had gone over his head and he was on his arse, by the time he got up it was back out for him to catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

I hope they win too, no way do I want to listen to the English media ****e on about this for the best part of forever.

If they won the world cup they would go on about that forever too. If they lose because of this maybe, just maybe FIFA might be forced to enter the 21st century

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Neither side playing fantastic in the second half..

WHAT A FREE KICK!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

:eek:

What a shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what a free kick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Some hit by Lampard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Crossbar!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Unlucky lampard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

What a shot... if only it was a few inches lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Nearly Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

IN FAIRNESS the keeper should have owned up, and he definately saw it. Was looking back right at it as it bounced beyond his line.
    Anyone who says Thierry and co should have put their hand up (for a third time that is) has to say the same of the german goalie.

Come on ingerland.
    Good point, if they lose we'll probably have to hear about this for decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

some free kick that. gettn worried now for Germany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The ref is gonna give everything to England now to try and even things up. An England player just needs to fall in the box, even if no-one is near and the ref will give a peno!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Friend of mine made an interesting point on video refs . .

The maradonna/henry handball, this incidents . . Yes, they are awful ways for teams to lose unfairly but they are what make the game so unpredictable . . They generate talking points for years and create rivalries . .

Not saying I completely agree with this but its a good point . .

I would prefer FIFA to clamp down more on players diving, faking injury etc that happens way more in a game . .

ragg wrote: »
    Agree, getting cheated hurts

England were cheated out of a goal, but not by an actual cheat, so it's a bit different really.

If England equalise, it could be penalties. Where's the nervous smiley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

If England play well Id like to see them go through, but nothing worse then watching them play sh!t and scrape through against an average side
    and having to listen to all the golden generation propaganda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

England finally playing with a bit of swagger, for the first time in a major tournament in years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lamps unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Mweelrea wrote: »
    If they won the world cup they would go on about that forever too. I f they lose because of this maybe, just maybe FIFA might be forced to enter the 21st century

That's a big if, and if the English did force Fifa to introduce goal line technology it would just show what exactly world football thinks of smaller nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

OPENROAD wrote: »
    After what happened with the Henry handball, I can't understand why any Ireland fan would be taking satisfaction from this

at the end of the day England have been the biggest benificiary of such a decision in the history of football. They had one awarded in a World Cup Final that never fully crossed the line. They can hardly start barking on now and expect to take the moral high ground. Feel a tad aggrieved for them but sure wont lose sleep over it. FIFA should have done the right thing after Henry but they didnt and now this incident will make them look weak in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

IN FAIRNESS the keeper should have owned up, and he definately saw it. Was looking back right at it as it bounced beyond his line.
    Anyone who says Thierry and co should have put thei hand up (for a third time that is) has to say the same of the german goalie.

Come off it... No keeper will own up to that, I agree with Video reffing, but i don't think what you are saying there is realistic

This is the sort of game England could really use Adam Johnson or Ashley Young, someone to give them something different on the wing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Drumpot wrote: »

The maradonna/henry handball, this incidents . . Yes, they are awful ways for teams to lose unfairly but they are what make the game so unpredictable . . They generate talking points for years and create rivalries . .

I would prefer FIFA to clamp down more on players diving, faking injury etc that happens way more in a game . .

Video technology would help there too though, Kaka red card for instance.

Anyone who says Thierry and co should have put their hand up (for a third time that is) has to say the same of the german goalie.

Come on ingerland.
    Good point, if they lose we'll probably have to hear about this for decades to come.

I don't blame Henry for not admitting as much as I blame him for doing it in the first place.

Henry was never going to own up to a deliberate handball anyway. It would have defeated his object.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

IN FAIRNESS the keeper should have owned up,

madness IMO, its not up the Keeper to officiate the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

At least the 66 goal was debatable. No doubt about that one.

If it is debatable then it should not be given. Ref has to be sure.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Drumpot wrote: »

The only way you could agree with that is if you prefer drama over sport. Your friend should watch Eastenders rather then football... :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Defoe has done nothing in this game, get Crouch on!

redout wrote: »
    at the end of the day England have been the biggest benificiary of such a decision in the history of football. They had one awarded in a World Cup Final that never fully crossed the line. They can hardly start barking on now and expect to take the moral high ground. Feel a tad aggrieved for them but sure wont lose sleep over it. FIFA should have done the right thing after Henry but they didnt and now this incident will make them look weak in my opinion.

I thought that the 66 goal was never proven one way or the other?

It's a valid point though - although that one was at least questionable.

At least the Germans might put it behind them now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

There's the Hollywood Stevie G we all know and love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

DeVore wrote: »
    The only way you could agree with that is if you prefer drama over sport. You're friend should watch Eastenders rather then football... :)

DeV.

+1

or wwe wrestling where people get "screwed" all the time!

Upsons recovered from the first half alright, composed himself a bit more, Ledley King still shoulda been brought on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's a big if, and if the English did force Fifa to introduce goal line technology it would just show what exactly world football thinks of smaller nations.

In fairness the English FA did call for it back in March.
    Former referee Graham Poll accused football's rulers of "arrogance" after they threw out any prospect of goal-line technology.

A majority of the International Football Association Board voted against the idea in Zurich yesterday, although the FAs of England and Scotland backed the plan.

Poll admitted he was "disappointed but not surprised" by the decision, which puts football out of step with sports such as cricket, tennis and rugby which have all embraced differing levels of technology.

http://www.espnstar.com/football/news/detail/item408481/Poll-accuses-IFA-of-arrogance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Defoe has done nothing in this game, get Crouch on!

Very nearly did do something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

time to bring on lennon and while your at it take off Gerrard

Germany need to score soon or its gonna 2-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

A video ref would be far more effective would it not?

Ability to review flashpoints such as the england no-goal, as well as incidents not seen by the referee.

Advertisement