Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v England, Sunday 3pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

What a surprise, English players cant play soccer?????????? Overrated and overpaid. Rubbish team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Warper wrote: »
    What a surprise, English players cant play soccer?????????? Overrated and overpaid. Rubbish team.

Overpaid ..Yes
    Overrated.. Yes
    Can't play...No

England side look like a team laboured by tactics , afraid to express themselves , terrified of failure .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

mixednuts wrote: »
    Overpaid ..Yes
    Overrated.. Yes
    Can't play...No

England side look like a team laboured by tactics , afraid to express themselves , terrified of failure .

Bull, everyone before the WC were saying how great Capello was and this was their year. Suddenly they lose and u blame tactics?? The foreign players make these duds look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

FIFA stats show that England have the most shots on goal in the tournament!

Amazing to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what if, Lampard's goal stood... 2 - 2 half time

different game? different result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

fryup wrote: »
    what if, Lampard's goal stood... 2 - 2 half time

different game? different result?

No. Yes (4-2 instead of 4-1).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Eamon likes Germany. We're fvcked so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

bonerm wrote: »
    No. Yes (4-2 instead of 4-1).

5-2 maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Germany were awesome and ripped up England in a thrilling way.

But anybody that thinks that being unfairly denied a legitimate goal (a goal that would have put England level within ten minutes of going two-nil down and all that that psychologically implies) when the Germans were on the ropes might not have affected the end result of the game - despite the emphatic end result - knows nothing about football or is a incorrigible ABE.

Time for change.

Thankfully a big gun was screwed over tonight so FIFA can't ignore it they way they ignored us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

eamon dunphy as new england coach ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

eamon dunphy as new england coach ftw

Let England have Marcello Bielsa. At least then they'd play decent football for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

'Arry is a cert for the job I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ally Dick wrote: »

nope he has CL now so i highly doubt he'll go anywhere

I cant think of alot of contenders for the job myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Headshot wrote: »

What about Raymond Domenech? Then they'd really have something to complain about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

My instant reaction to Lampards lob was Zidanes peno in the final of 2006, for a brief second I thought that one wasnt gonna be allowed stand either. Even the goal line officials used in the Europa league would have sorted it out surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Ally Dick wrote: »

and let him be exposed, once he cannot wheel 'n' deal.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

If Redknapp gets the job, they are in deep ****.
    Anyway he is quite old, they need a younger man to rebuild.

In all fairness I really don't see any English candidates that can sort out this mess.

If they some how got Wenger, he could turn it around IMO. He is out of contract next summer.

If I were they FA, it would be alot better for the future of English football if they waited until next summer and moved heaven and earth to bring in Wenger. Then if they gave Harry or Roy Hodgson the job for 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

and let him be exposed, once he cannot wheel 'n' deal.

Excellent point. You don't succeed as a national team manager by finishing below fourth. You have to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I heard the FA asked Fifa to be the '9th' team in the quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Headshot wrote: »

According to Sir Trevor Brooking who's dealing with the FA's youth policy, there's at least 4-6 years of further pain to come for England fans before their U-21 crop of players come to the fore. The job is a poisoned chalice for the next while (if it hasn't been for an age already).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Lukker- wrote: »

It will be interesting whether the English make a bigger song and dance about this than the pathetic stuff thats still going on in Ireland 8 months after Henry's handball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

KerranJast wrote: »
    According to Sir Trevor Brooking who's dealing with the FA's youth policy, there's at least 4-6 years of further pain to come for England fans before their U-21 crop of players come to the fore. The job is a poisoned chalice for the next while (if it hasn't been for an age already).

heh, that's if Premier league managers will even play them. big if.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

KerranJast wrote: »

Germany hammered England in the final of the UEFA U21 championships last year 4-0 (Ozil was man of the match that day) and in the U20 FIFA World Cup also in 2009 England didn't even get out of their group, losing to Uruguay and Ghana and scraping a draw against Uzbekistan. England need to rebuild from the ground up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

flahavaj wrote: »
    It will be interesting whether the English make a bigger song and dance about this than the pathetic stuff thats still going on in Ireland 8 months after Henry's handball.

I hope it wont be and dont think it will, the main reason being that Ireland actually played well against France and so there was a greater sense of injustice whereas we were trampled on by Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Germany hammered England in the final of the UEFA U21 championships last year 4-0 (Ozil was man of the match that day) and in the U20 FIFA World Cup also in 2009 England didn't even get out of their group, losing to Uruguay and Ghana and scraping a draw against Uzbekistan. England need to rebuild from the ground up.

They won the U-17 UEFA Championships a couple months back, that's what Brooking was on about...

And to be fair, England have some fantastic teenagers, Afobe (Arsenal) and Wickham (Ipswich) are just two names I'm beginning to hear a bit of a buzz around. Problem is the Premier league is so physical and the financial stakes are so high there's no guarantee the youngsters will get their fair chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lukker- wrote: »

I heard thats the 5th time that joke was made in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Looking at it completely the wrong way.

noodler wrote: »
    Looking at it completely the wrong way.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

THIS is how England should be managed... This is a proper half time team talk!!!

How so?

im guessing its a case of Henry actually cheated whearas this was only an officials incompetency and no cheating player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

DazMarz wrote: »
    THIS is how England should be managed... This is a proper half time team talk!!!

Three cheers for Ramierez :)

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    im guessing its a case of Henry actually cheated whearas this was only an officials incompetency and no cheating player

Point taken but in fairness, in both cases it boils down how people react to an injustice.

Point taken but in fairness, in both cases it boils down how people react to an injustice.

oh definitely, i find the reaction to the Henry thing embarrassing but have already forgotten about the Lampard goal.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I find it weird that Capello didnt play Crouch. Did he play at all in this WC?

Rooney wasnt in SA as far as I could see.

As I said, Football has reconsidered its repatriation... :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Too much has been made of the Lampard non-goal. Sure, the officials should have seen it was over, I did watching live on the tele FFS. Crazy decision, but still.

That should have spurred England on even more, but they couldn't capitalise. They were on top of the game for quite a while, and Germany's defence was a shambles.

England have nobody to blame but themselves, and an inept manager when it comes to the big occasion.

Crouch + Defoe should have started up top.

Milner is surely not the best England have for the right wing, Upson was lost for the whole game apart from when he scored, was Ashley Cole actually on the pitch?? Gerrard was too desperate to score, Barry was anonymous, Roooney was crap (again).

Johnson was ok, but kept having to cover for Upson. The old reliable James in goals did what he could, and made a couple of decent saves. Lampard tried, and was fierce unlucky with that free kick. Defoe caused problems, but didn't see enough of the ball.

They brought Heskey on, I lol'd. Crouch was on the bench. How stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

oh definitely, i find the reaction to the Henry thing embarrassing but have already forgotten about the Lampard goal.

It's probably easier for you to take what with England taking a hell of a hiding from the Germans today. You's were outclassed by the better team and can have no complaints whereas we played the French off the park that night and the only way they were gonna score was by cheating the way they did!

So yeah, defo forget the Lampard goal alright. That wasn't an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

DeVore wrote: »

Rooney wasnt in SA as far as I could see.

They sent his crapper water drinking doppelgänger by mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's probably easier for you to take what with England taking a hell of a hiding from the Germans today. You's were outclassed by the better team and can have no complaints whereas we played the French off the park that night and the only way they were gonna score was by cheating the way they did!

OT for a second here - people are too easy to say France cheated, while forgetting we failed to score...

Noones fault but our own we didn't make it - 2 teams we should have beaten (that, between them, kept us out of the WC) went home in the group stage.

England just weren't good enough, today, nor in the group. They should have walked away with that group, and not played Germany in the last 16.
    They sent his crapper water drinking doppelgänger by mistake.

That advert should come with a warning before its shown. **shudder**

I hope it wont be and dont think it will, the main reason being that Ireland actually played well against France and so there was a greater sense of injustice whereas we were trampled on by Germany.

See my previous post mate.

And I think you are being a bit OTT with Ireland playing France off the park. Better team sure but lets not exaggerate! People need to get over the Henry thing, it just sounds sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

A french team that obviously had major problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What match were you watching that night? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

What match were you watching that night? :confused:

We had a couple of great chances near the end and in extra time, mainly thanks to shocking French defence. We had plenty of opportunities but we didn't take them. We might have deserved to sneak a win, but "played them off the park" is really stretching it.

The people I feel sorry for most is Liam Brady, Trapattoni and the Irish lads who had thought that they were playing REAL TEAMS out there of world class pedigree and matching them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Goals are often disallowed for offside, even when it wasn't... what's really the difference here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭thebullkf

stovelid wrote: »
    Germany were awesome and ripped up England in a thrilling way.

But anybody that thinks that being unfairly denied a legitimate goal (a goal that would have put England level within ten minutes of going two-nil down and all that that psychologically implies) when the Germans were on the ropes might not have affected the end result of the game - despite the emphatic end result - knows nothing about football or is a incorrigible ABE.

Time for change.

Thankfully a big gun was screwed over tonight so FIFA can't ignore it they way they ignored us.

you're forgetting one thing.

the only reason they don't use the technology yet.

the prohibitive cost!!!!

simples.

use it in one game.

use it in ALL games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

OT for a second here - people are too easy to say France cheated, while forgetting we failed to score...

Noones fault but our own we didn't make it - 2 teams we should have beaten (that, between them, kept us out of the WC) went home in the group stage.

That's bollocks man. We failed to score so it should have gone to penalties. Or France should have scored within the rules to beat us. Since France failed to score their chances does that mean we could have had a free handball goal too?

France and Italy did both bomb out of the tournament. They aren't that good. So what? We all know Ireland aren't that good either, that's no reason to forget the rules of the sport. You're getting too caught up in the fact that Ireland aren't a good team. We have a weak team. We were also cheated. Football is broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

thebullkf wrote: »
    use it in one game.

use it in ALL games.

Says who? And why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

thebullkf wrote: »
    you're forgetting one thing.

the only reason they don't use the technology yet.

the prohibitive cost!!!!

simples.

use it in one game.

use it in ALL games.

I'm not sure i understand. All professional football clubs have cctv. It can't be prohibitively expensive to set up a few cameras and a monitor??

I know there is more to it than that, but the reason it hasn't been brought in is definately not down to the cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Nope, sure all the stadium needs is a big screen that can replay whats being shown on the television broadcast, or a smaller screen within a "booth" that the referee can look at on the sideline similar to American Football. Cost is in no-way an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

You would wonder how far it will extend though... Like what would the cut off point be? Where do games get of such insignificance that the buck stops... Will a rain soaked yet devilishly tense Scottish Division 3 game between Berwick and Albion be decided by the ref, accompanied by the 40 odd supporters, glancing to the giant screen atop of the Shielfield Park shed to see whether or not Haggis McDonald managed to squeeze it over the line or not! I was never a massive advocate of "technology" but it's obvious the game is in need of this step before we end up with more referee's on the field than players.. My only thought is if it's going to be done it has to be done right, no margin for error and an accessibility that will allow all but the minnowest of minnows to avail! IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Let's not get off-topic too much. Let us all just sit back and remember what it's all about. Today Germany beat England 4:1 at the World Cup.*

*I just woke up and apparently this actually happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement