Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v England, Sunday 3pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Some posters here reckon Germany didnt lookm great against Ghana (again it was an altitude match) But what if it were Ghana v england yesterday, id reckon england would get a draw at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Schweinsteiger could be out which would prove critical to Germany.

The difference in medias have been apparent. Immediately the English media have downplayed the German team. Talked about how they are easily beatable and how they have better players in every position. Talked up their game against Slovenia and have almost bypassed the Germans as opposition and instead are discussing how to beat Argentina.

On the otherhand the Germans have said that it will be very difficult to win. The Germans mentioned Rooney could be a problem and that the English defence is very strong. They have downplayed their chance of going through to the quarter finals and have instead stated their side is here for experience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Germany have never lost a penalty shootout, and have missed only 2 penalties in their entire world cup history, England and Italy have lost the most shootouts at 3 a piece. The last time Germany failed to make the quarters was 1934! Whatever about thinking England may edge it, if it goes to penalties, I certainly dont. Its hard to predict this one, there will either be nothing in it or I can see the Germans beating them convincingly.

David James reckons they'll beat Germany without penalties Story

But they have been practising them anyway ;)
    England have been practicing penalties since they joined up for their training camp in Austria immediately after the end of the domestic campaign

on the one hand, you could say there wont be much in the match, on the other hand you could say that Germany really should win this, they play much better football than England, they are more rested (with less games in their season) better discipline, better tournament team. The way things have gone, calling any match now is very difficult. I read a quote from the Swiss player Frei, about how there is no such things as underdogs and favorites anymore. Is Badstuber back for this match? what ever happened to Frings?

Its a pity that Ballack is missing, was he there, I would much more confident for Germany...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

_Bella_ wrote: »

The difference in medias have been apparent. Immediately the English media have downplayed the German team. Talked about how they are easily beatable and how they have better players in every position. Talked up their game against Slovenia and have almost bypassed the Germans as opposition and instead are discussing how to beat Argentina.

On the otherhand the Germans have said that it will be very difficult to win. The Germans mentioned Rooney could be a problem and that the English defence is very strong. They have downplayed their chance of going through to the quarter finals and have instead stated their side is here for experience.

So they are saying the exact same thing then?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

1-1 England win on Penos, James is the hero :p

My point is more how the English immediately talk themselves up while Germany downplay their chance, even though Germany clearly have been playing the far better so far and I'm sure most people would fancy them to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

No, they're saying exactly the opposite:confused:

Reckon this could be a very open game, especially if Germany get the first goal, it'll force Engerland to press

My point is more how the English immediately talk themselves up while Germany downplay their chance, even though Germany clearly have been playing the far better so far and I'm sure most people would fancy them to win

Nail on the head. Atleast IF England beat Germany we have the insurance policy that will likely be Argentina!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I can still see England shading this by a whisker... Tho I do not agree with the post saying that England would win on penos. No way, the Germans are absolute experts on taking penos and they're away with it if it does end up in a shootout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Germany haven't missed a peno in the wc for eons.

they would score them blind folded, while England will almost for sure baloon one or two over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Germany haven't missed a peno in the wc for eons.

Yeah seems like only last week that Podolski missed one against Serbia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Obviously talk of a penalty shootout is very premature but apparently Englands chosen 5 are: Rooney, Milner, Lampard, Gerrard and Barry.

Link: http://worldcup.football365.com/story/0,27111,18484_6227746,00.html
    Fabio Capello has reportedly chosen his five penalty takers for the remainder of the World Cup.
    England have been practising spot-kicks after every training session, and according to reports Capello has selected the five men he wants to step up should a shoot-out be required against Germany.
    Both The Daily Mail and The Guardian name Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney, James Milner and Gareth Barry as the chosen five.
    All those named either are or have been regular penalty takers for their clubs, although Gerrard and Lampard failed when in the same situation against Portugal four years ago, something that the England captain is aware of.
    "The manager is on to the penalty takers to make sure we're doing it properly in training and not messing around," Gerrard said.
    "He wants us to do in training what we do in a game: pick a spot and not change your mind. It is massive pressure. I didn't handle it in 2006, so if I'm put in that situation again I will try and deal with the pressure a lot better.
    "All you can do is be ready, not shy away from it and have the bottle to step up, especially if you've missed one before. I'll be ready."
    Jermain Defoe would be another candidate, should he be on the pitch at the crucial moment, and England's goalscorer against Slovenia confirmed that the squad are, in theory, prepared.
    "We practise them at the end of every session," said Defoe.
    "The manager gets the goalkeepers in and Jamo stands there screaming: 'Come on, are you boys up for it?' We aren't walking up from the halfway line - some countries do that - but there's still pressure.
    "The manager blows a whistle and you take them. If you score he doesn't really say anything. That is a good sign. He's confident. He knows the lads are confident and ready if called up. We're really relaxed."

Not a bad line of 5, and Ashley Cole has looked well able to take one anytime I've seen him required to do so. I wouldn't let Defoe near one though, terrible record from the spot for a good striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Obviously talk of a penalty shootout is very premature but apparently Englands chosen 5 are: Rooney, Milner, Lampard, Gerrard and Barry.

Link: http://worldcup.football365.com/story/0,27111,18484_6227746,00.html

Not a bad line of 5, and Ashley Cole has looked well able to take one anytime I've seen him required to do so. I wouldn't let Defoe near one though, terrible record from the spot for a good striker.

the only problem with that is if it does go to penalties whats the chance of all these 5 still being on the pitch... subs.. red cards..

so no john terry then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ladbrokes have Ozil at 14/1 to score first on Sunday. Is it just me or is that slightly.........mental? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Cacau is out for Germany - just happened in training according to SSN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Afternoon training will be decider for injured Boateng and Schweinsteiger. Cacau defo out, Boateng doubtful, Schweinsteiger looking hopeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think that Germany might lose this. I think they are right about Rooney, he looks ready to explode onto the scene. However, that may well change if they have 20 minutes at the start where he gets zero service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I was listening to a maths program on the radio the other day (yeah I know, weird) and they mentioned the penalty shoot out records of the two teams.

IIRC: German players have had a 97% success rate since 1960
    English players have had only a 50% success rate over that period
    If both teams were to keep up that form, England would only have a 1.4% chance of winning a shoot out on Sunday.

Looking at a 50 year record is sort of meaningless I know, but it makes you wonder.

Fingers crossed for Schweinsteiger! pity about Cacau, atleast Klose is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Have a feeling England are going to win this one. Doesnt matter how you play during the group stages, once you qualify for the next round!!

I reckon they'd probably struggle if they'd have drawn a weaker side but playing against the Germans is the perfect match for them. I'm also loving the idea of an England Argentina quarter final!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Really want Germany to win this.
    Ozil to be the star of the show, imo. The Englsih midfield wont know how to deal with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for Schweinsteiger! pity about Cacau, atleast Klose is back.

Fingers crossed for James! pity about Ferdinand, but atleast Joe Cole is back :)

Prediction 3-2 to England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have a feeling England are going to win this. Germany playing pretty well, England playing awful...it would be just like this funny old sport for England to suddenly turn on the style and win it. Hope not though. Come on Germany. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Really hope England can pull it off, would be great if they can silence the critics,
    Come On England !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Really hope England can pull it off, would be great if they can silence the critics,
    Come On England !

If they play well I'll be silenced :)

as I said before the world cup i'd like to see england do well but they've been so bad so far. However one thing I can say is unlike those shameful, cowardly French and the shocking italy, at least england have heart and they do try for their country - despite the poor performances so far.

I think tomorrow England will rise to the occasion. It all depends on weather Germany can rise to it too.

Really looking forward to it to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think Germany will score early, which will be the best thing to happen England, forcing them to come out of their shells and attack. After 90 minutes of England playing on the front foot, Rooney gets the equaliser in injury time. Extra time sees no more goals, usual outcome on penalties.

Gallant England bow out but at least they put up a fight eh, old chaps, not like those ruddy French?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This game could be very cagey but Germany to progress. England lack creativity big-time and can barely put 3 passes together but they are hard to break down. Ozil is in the best form of any player on the pitch tomorrow and looks to be the game-breaker. I just cant see Germany getting beat as they look a much better side than England. Substance over hype.

England cant take penos

England dont have a cohesive midfield

England have a croked rooney

England have a problem with the tabloids that will never go away

Germany will win.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I was listening to a maths program on the radio the other day (yeah I know, weird) and they mentioned the penalty shoot out records of the two teams.

If both teams were to keep up that form, England would only have a 1.4% chance of winning a shoot out on Sunday.

Looking at a 50 year record is sort of meaningless I know, but it makes you wonder.

If it goes to penos England are f***ed, everyone knows that shur.

aside from having dodgey keepers they cant score them either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

I think England have every chance of winning, provided Rooney/Lampard majorally up their game, and King is back[or at least, Upson on ahead of Carra****]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the English media are saying Upson looks to be keeping his spot after a good performance against Slovenia. WTF game were they watching, he was ****e and terry had to save him on a couple of occasions

King for me has to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Headshot wrote: »
    the English media are saying Upson looks to be keeping his spot after a good performance against Slovenia. WTF game were they watching, he was ****e and terry had to save him on a couple of occasions

King for me has to start

Upson didn't have a great defender, but he'd be a much better option than Carragher, how either of them are ahead of Dawson is nuts though.
    King is miles ahead of them, and Terry/Rio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Upson didn't have a great defender, but he'd be a much better option than Carragher, how either of them are ahead of Dawson is nuts though.
    King is miles ahead of them, and Terry/Rio.

Yeah and Owen Hargreaves is miles ahead of Gerrard and Lampard...

nice Spurs bias there btw...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Ladbrokes have Ozil at 14/1 to score first on Sunday. Is it just me or is that slightly.........mental? :confused:

Affected or imbalanced by jingoism?

Milner to score the only goal..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

dfx- wrote: »
    Affected or imbalanced by jingoism?

Paddy Power have him at 12/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Mesut--zil-celebrates-his-001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is King actually fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

As much as he maybe disliked (John Terry) , if all the England squad go out with this sort of mentality they will breeze this game ....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mixednuts wrote: »
    As much as he maybe disliked (John Terry) , if all the England squad go out with this sort of mentality they will breeze this game ....

He didn't get near the ball - is this supposed to be impressive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

He didn't get near the ball - is this supposed to be impressive?

Are you for real ? ... The guy is at full pace ready to put his foot through the ball and Terry is already diving head first (no hands) to block .If that's not putting your head on the line for your country then I don't know what is ?
    That shot could have caught him square on the side of the head ,neck limp .

Look I am no Terry/England fan but if every player that put on their National jersey showed a similar attitude then they would be a force in any WC.

Come on Germany ..;)

9-0 Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

heh! Could be anything or quite possibly nothing 0 - 0 and penos! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

No, they're saying exactly the opposite:confused:

Jebus, think about it for a minute and you might just might see,although I won't hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

_Bella_ wrote: »

What media are you talking about ? Please be specific. Yesterday's Guardian gives a very wide-ranging analysis based on several journalists opinion, player opinion, a former Irish player's opinion, the German manager's opinion. Have you been watching and understanding German tv and newspaper coverage or are you making generalisations based on a couple of interviews ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The more I think about this... If both teams are somewhat playin to the form shown so far all Germany has to do is get their passing going and England will be into all sorts of difficulties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

Pro. F wrote: »

That's an interesting approach, and I understand that Germany have never lost a penalty shoot-out in a World Cup, and have never lost to England on a shoot-out. It's down to the players on the day though. Personally, I think Germany will probably win without the need for penalties. If it does go to penalties, I think David James will give England a significant advantage - he's full of confidence - quite disrespectful to Capello on occasions, believes England will win, and has been performing well.

Advertisement