Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v England, Sunday 3pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this is the type of game that just might inspire England to put in a performance

that said - i think Rooney should be put on the subs bench, he's unfit and a liability with his hot headed irish temper, i'd start with Stickman > Crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

England always rise to these kind of games. Germany have it coming today due to Mr Beckenbauer's comments. I hope England beat the Germans today and give us a great match!

I wouldn't risk King today, keep upson and terry. Gerrard needs to be in the center of midfield, perhaps playing with rooney or dafoe.

Joe cole on the left, with lennon on the right. That would be a great team for me.

James, cole, terry, upson, johnson, cole, lampard, barry, lennon, Gerrard, rooney or dafoe.

Cant see rooney being dropped though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

fryup wrote: »
    this is the type of game that just might inspire England to put in a performance

that said - i think Rooney should be put on the subs bench, he's unfit and a liability with his hot headed irish temper, i'd start with Stickman > Crouch

Your a liability to this county with your anti-Irish nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

i'd start with Stickman > Crouch

images?q=tbn%3A1NEK2f818RzRIM%3A%3Awww.nyvillans.com%2F2009%2F06%2F5-players-villa-should-sign.html&t=1&usg=AFrqEzcQBZX5FYnnTkgNpRIZnLEs9wRNPg
    +
    images?q=tbn%3ATfIMwUccpe-iwM%3A%3Awww.sportvox.fr%2Farticle.php3%3Fid_article%3D26419&t=1&usg=AFrqEzf7wtJuqqGibdWePS7iaRRV2NVfWA
    =
    images?q=tbn%3AEjBjzHRJh3WDwM%3A%3Achemenn.wordpress.com%2F2008%2F05%2F&t=1&usg=AFrqEzcsh6bWxCRij9kMIPRFQC6oImtBxQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

There have been a lot of similar comments, but this is my favourite, from Twitter.

therealmuhz

I hear they are blowing Uwe Seeler in the stands at every game. He was a fantastic player but this level of gratitude is unprecedented

• Advertisement

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

anti irish nonsense:rolleyes: get a life it was meant as a joke

anyway everyone knows he's irish look at the head on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

My preview, for those who've been reading -
    http://backpagefootball.com/world-cup/last-16-preview-day-2/

I think Germany will win it. It's possible England will raise their game for the occasion, but they'd have to go from pretty bad to excellent in the space of a few days and I can't see that happening. Ozil will tear 'em a new one

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

If it's any consolation, "hot headed Irish tempers" are very attractive to women. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I hope England and mexico make it through today otherwise it will end all my interest in this world cup.

I hope England and mexico make it through today otherwise it will end all my interest in this world cup.
    United fan?

• Advertisement

Livvie wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, "hot headed Irish tempers" are very attractive to women. :)

oh ya:) you'd love this then

oh ya:) you'd love this then

Make that "usually" attractive to women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If England win, it still won't shut any of the ABEs up. I think it's a distinct possibility as I really think we have the better squad, Capello just needs to pick the right team today. I think Dawson needs to play too. He's just the best fit CB apart from Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I see England winning this, and i hope they do... I'll be dying for updates for this game as i'll be watching the Dublin game...

Livvie wrote: »
    United fan?
    No spurs fan I'm a big fan of Dos Santos and I'd like to see the spurs english players do well

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I see England winning this, and i hope they do... I'll be dying for updates for this game as i'll be watching the Dublin game...

imagine the reaction in croke park if england lose......euphoria!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

imagine the reaction in croke park if england lose......euphoria!!!
    Because Dubs are German fans?

No spurs fan I'm a big fan of Dos Santos and I'd like to see the spurs english players do well

I'm keen to see more of Hernandez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Not confident at all about todays game. I reckon we are going out.

CMON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

How about the "Anyone but Germany" crowd

post-4-1211288133.jpg

Translated to "I support two teams: Switzerland and any team that beats germany"

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

really lookin forward to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Team unchanged from the one who beat Slovenia - Milner, Defoe and Upson all keep their spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Come on Germany.

When last have England played decent opposition? They had a piss easy qualification group, had an extremely straightforward world cup group. Arguably their last stern test was Croatia in the qualification for Euro 2008, after which the Croats completely imploded.

I think Germany will win 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

2-1 to England.

Rooney to score early on and give the English some hope, que the English pundits crowing about how he's back and this is the Rooney they know and love etc etc. I'd predict Gerrard and Milner to have good games in reality, and be the main men for the English. Rooney not so much.

Germany to level it up and then maybe Crouch to come on and score the winner sometime in the last 3rd of the game. Germany go full tilt, English shut up shop with a few scares. The English will find a way to keep them out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Dawson > Upson
    Lennon > Milner

ziggy wrote: »
    The club he plays for. You left out my favourite part of PHB's post, where he basically made a pre-ready excuse for Rooney not to do anything and it to be the rest of the teams fault :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PHB wrote: »
    I think that Germany might lose this. I think they are right about Rooney, he looks ready to explode onto the scene. However, that may well change if they have 20 minutes at the start where he gets zero service.

I'd say he's more likely to see red to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Apparantly schweinsteigers in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

ziggy wrote: »
    L'prof wrote: »
    I'd say he's more likely to see red to be honest!

To be honest, it's nothing more than a feeling. Watching him play against Slovenia, he was showing hints of getting back to himself. He just looked ready to me, and Rooney is by definition, an explosive player. When he's on form, he becomes 20 times better. I may be wrong, but sure let's see :)

Kold wrote: »
    Dawson > Upson
    Lennon > Milner
    Spurs > The World :p In fairness, Milner has been better than Lennon in the WC and Upson has a lot more experience than Dawson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I think Germany will come through this today (maybe 2-1, a close game anyway) but pick up a few yellow cards that will haunt them in the quarters.

Edit: Not sure exactly when or how the yellow card amnesty comes into effect, so the yellow cards may not be an issue

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Spurs > The World :p In fairness, Milner has been better than Lennon in the WC and Upson has a lot more experience than Dawson.

Milner has made one decent cross. An on form Lennon sh*ts on Milner but he's another who's struggled to find it since injury, that and Johnson keeps getting in his way.

Upson has a bit more experience than Dawson but Dawson is a better centre back.

Lennon has put in some lovely crosses and I think he looked very lively but Milner did get an assist so I can totally understand why he kept his place I do think Dawson is better than upon but Capello has shown he values experience hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

gimmick wrote: »
    When last have England played decent opposition? They had a piss easy qualification group, had an extremely straightforward world cup group. Arguably their last stern test was Croatia in the qualification for Euro 2008, after which the Croats completely imploded.

Why were the Croats they beat in the WC qualifier no opposition, when at the same time they were in the Euro qualifier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

England team is the same as the one v Slovenia

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

England to win based on a number of things.

1) The German team are very young.
    2) England will probably play like Serbia
    3) Player for Player England are better.

But all this depends on ENLAND getting their heads out of their arses and playing as well as they can.

So form aside - England to win!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Come on England!!!!!!

I hope they win not just because I'm supporting England at this world cup, also because to sicken all the ones who hope England lose!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Really looking forward to this. I'd be happy to see England win but it will be funny if they lose too. Its just great fun watching it all unfold.

I'm predicting a German victory. They play attacking football, especially attacking for a German team and keep the ball well. England are worse than ever at retaing possession and will hand the initiative to the Germans.

Ozil will probably be the key man. Barry will be the closest to him throughout the game and he's just to slow to keep him quiet. Capellos insistence on playing 4 4 2 will leave Englands midfield even more exposed. Throw into that Englands form in this world and it's hard to put a case for them.

Howeveer they are playing Germany so they should up their game at the very least. Rooney could cause havoc for the two Germsn centre backs, who are probably the weakest part of the team. Rooney though has been a shadow of himself for the tournament. Obviously not match fit or not right, and I can't see that just being switched on for one game. He does still have the ability to change a game with one strike of the ball but he just looks so far off the pace it seems highly unlikely.

Germany 3 England 1. Maybe a red card or two late in the game for England if they are losing by more than a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

DJCR wrote: »
    Player for Player England are better.

Germany look like a better team though. I'd say it'll be close, but Germany should prevail...on penalties...again!

• Advertisement

I'd be happy to see England win but it will be funny if they lose too

why would be funny? get up and support the neighbours for god sake and stop being so jealous!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Flag_of_England.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

mink_man wrote: »
    why would be funny? get up and support the neighbours for god sake and stop being so jealous!!!

Jesus. Watching England lose is almost as pleasurable as watching Ireland win. It's sad that you don't get any enjoyment out of it. There's a thing called schadenfreude which usually exists between neighbouring countries. E.g. Germany/Holland, Germany/Austria, France/Spain, etc. Get with it!

Anyway I think England will win this, bulldog spirit and all, and it will be absolute torture for me. I can see Crouch doing his stupid robot dance this afternoon. :(

Des wrote: »
    Flag_of_England.png

Good man Des....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

it would be funny because england are so in your face and overhype their players at every tournament.i would like to see england do well if it wasnt for their media and pundits.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Jesus. Watching England lose is almost as pleasurable as watching Ireland win. It's sad that you don't get any enjoyment out of it. There's a thing called schadenfreude which usually exists between neighbouring countries. E.g. Germany/Holland, Germany/Austria, France/Spain, etc. Get with it!

Anyway I think England will win this, bulldog spirit and all, and it will be absolute torture for me. I can see Crouch doing his stupid robot dance this afternoon. :(

because england usually support us when we're in anything...

Call me twisted or bitter or pathetic or whatever but I just f**king hate the England football team unashamedly. I like seeing England doing well in other sports (rugby) but ever since I was a child watching Italia '90 etc I have despised the football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

come on England

it would be funny because england are so in your face and overhype their players at every tournament.i would like to see england do well if it wasnt for their media and pundits.

imo they don't overhype, they have on paper some of the best players in the tournament...

because england usually support us when we're in anything...

More the fools them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement