Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v England, Sunday 3pm

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

mink_man wrote: »
    imo they don't overhype, they have on paper some of the best players in the tournament...

Who? Only on English paper do they have the best players. Rooney can be world class at times, Gerrard maybe...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

it would be funny because england are so in your face and overhype their players at every tournament.i would like to see england do well if it wasnt for their media and pundits.
    Someone please change the fúcking record.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

because england usually support us when we're in anything...

And how do u know this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

imo they don't overhype, they have on paper some of the best players in the tournament...

you work for the english media don't you ;)

anyways this game will be like watching paint dry, good job there is two exciting looking gaa matches on tv today to tear me away :p

anna.fun wrote: »
    Eh... sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Someone please change the fúcking record.

result:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

England to win, I can feel it in my waters. 1-0 Lampard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Who? Only on English paper do they have the best players. Rooney can be world class at times, Gerrard maybe...

john terry, one of the best defenders in the world, chelsea (englsh champins captain) ashley cole, best left back in world, if rio was there hes very good, lampard, once again, great midfielder, scores goals, gerrard you mentioned, rooney nothing need to be said, and they're just the world class players, nevermind the very decent players, joe cole, lennon, crouch, johnson...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

C'mon the mighty Germans :D

john terry, one of the best defenders in the world, chelsea (englsh champins captain) ashley cole, best left back in world, if rio was there hes very good, lampard, once again, great midfielder, scores goals, gerrard you mentioned, rooney nothing need to be said, and they're just the world class players, nevermind the very decent players, joe cole, lennon, crouch, johnson...

:rolleyes:do you watch any other leaue except the premiership?

John Terry world class? Sigh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0avCtHStIk

Finale 1954 - Rahn schießt, Rahn schießt! TOOOOOOOR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

:rolleyes:do you watch any other leaue except the premiership?

Well considering every one of the players in Englands squad plies their trade in the Premiership he only has to watch the Premiership to get an opinion of their players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Funniest thing I have read in a long time... you def. need to get out more often and stop reading too many of the english rags. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

As with every other football game that I watch where I am an impartial observer, I will solely support the team whom I have enjoyed watching most. For this reason I sincerely hope Germany progress. All English bashing aside, I'll admit that I do like to see them do ok in tournaments simply because of the interest/circus it generates, but they are far from entertaining on the pitch.

Allez le Fatherland! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

ok..name a better central defender in the germany team than terry...name a better central midfielder than gerrard or lampard in the gemrnay team and name a better striker than rooney in the germany team!!!!!!!!

Frisbee wrote: »
    Well considering every one of the players in Englands squad plies their trade in the Premiership he only has to watch the Premiership to get an opinion of their players.

Whereas that is true Frisbee, it doesn't exactly put him in a position where he can compare English players against the rest in the world.

ok..name a better central defender in the germany team than terry...name a better central midfielder than gerrard or lampard in the gemrnay team and name a better striker than rooney in the germany team!!!!!!!!

Schweini is looking like a better midfielder than Lampard these days, a lot more imposing. You'll see today. And this Oezil guy plays in a similar position to Gerrard. We'll see today anyway who the better players are.

Plus, being better than German players does not make you world class.

ok so basing his opinion on just watching the premiership he can form the opinion they are world class??

explain how that works please.

• Advertisement

You're Andy Townsend, aren't you? :pac:

Pound for pound, England probably have the better individuals around the park. If you were picking a team from the two......the Germans who would certainly have a few. Neuer, Lahm, Schweinsteiger and Ozil would p1ss onto that team right now. One or two more you could make arguments for too.

England have a slightly stronger spine when you look at what those players have achieved at club level, but Germany are by far the better 'team'.

ok so basing his opinion on just watching the premiership he can form the opinion they are world class??

If you look at A. Cole or Rooney play in the Premiership it is very easy to tell that they are world class. Obviously watching them play against European teams in the CL/EL and in international competition is a better yardstick to measure a player by in terms of how good they are but you don't need to watch football from all over the world to know that Rooney and Cole are both top class palyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Germany are a better 'team' and will win 2-0/3-1 imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BabestationeliteforEngland2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

watching babestation Mike? Dirty old perv :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was trying to find BBC1 Channel Islands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

John Terry = Man with his mind elsewhere.

Ashley Cole = Ill grant you that one.

Lampard & Gerrard = V good in the Premiership. But that is against Hull, Burnley, Sunderland and Portsmouth. Have been exposed at every other level as anything but world class, and are wholly incompatable.

Rooney = Excellent player, who has Zero confidence.

Joe Cole = An injury prone crock, who is unreliable on the big stage

Arron Lennon = Terry Phelan. Could outrun a cheeta, but thats it. Has little or no skill, and top class defenders have always loved playing against him. Anybody would look good when running at Jonathan Spector, or Tal Ben Haim

Peter Crouch = Only around the England team thanks to Shaun Wright Phillips tackle which finished Dean Ashton's career. Ashton had the potential to be world class. Crouch is a donkey, who hides behind goals against the likes of Jamaica, Trinadad and Tobago, and goals in friendlies to mask how limited a player he is.

Glen Johnson = A back up to Gary Neville. He will be properly exposed at this WC.

England only look good on paper if you know no other football besides FA Premiership ffotball.

If you look at A. Cole or Rooney play in the Premiership it is very easy to tell that they are world class. Obviously watching them play against European teams in the CL/EL and in international competition is a better yardstick to measure a player by in terms of how good they are but you don't need to watch football from all over the world to know that Rooney and Cole are both top class palyers.[/QUOT

what???????

so you can say that a player is just as good as any player in any team around the world by looking at that player competing at the same level in the same league.

i totally disagree,and when i watch rooney or asley cole against the big teams i the league i can tell straightaway they are not world class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Schweini and Boateng starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Germany: 1-Manuel Neuer; 16-Philipp Lahm, 3-Arne Friedrich, 17-Per Mertesacker, 20-Jerome Boateng, 13-Thomas Mueller, 6-Sami Khedira, 7-Bastian Schweinsteiger, 10-Lukas Podolski, 8-Mesut Ozil, 11-Miroslav Klose.

England: 1-David James; 2-Glen Johnson, 15-Matthew Upson, 6-John Terry, 3-Ashley Cole; 16-James Milner, 4-Steven Gerrard, 8-Frank Lampard, 14-Gareth Barry; 19-Jermain Defoe, 10-Wayne Rooney.

• Advertisement

Do you watch every league in the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Het-Field wrote: »
    Lampard & Gerrard = V good in the Premiership. But that is against Hull, Burnley, Sunderland and Portsmouth. Have been exposed at every other level as anything but world class, and are wholly incompatable.

:D

If only Lampard and Gerrard had ever played (and played well) against the top Premiership teams aswell as in the Champions league and internationally we would have a response to your post, but alas no............

John Terry = Man with his mind elsewhere..

How does where his mind is (he was great against Slovenia btw) or how he's playing at the WC change whether he is world class or not? You dont dip in and out of beign a world class player. Based on his career performance Terry is a world class player.

what???????

so you can say that a player is just as good as any player in any team around the world by looking at that player competing at the same level in the same league.

I'm saying you don't have to watch the J-League/La Liga/Bundesliga to know that A. Cole and Wayne Rooney are world class. It is apparently obvious from their ability that they are top drawer players who would most likely walk into any team in the world.
    Your saying you watch every league going before you make a judgement on who is world class and who isn't?

i totally disagree,and when i watch rooney or asley cole against the big teams i the league i can tell straightaway they are not world class.

So your saying Rooney and Cole aren't one of the better player in the world in their position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

what???????

haha, yeah Rooney's not world class, he didn't score in pretty much every CL knockout game that he was fit for. If Rooney isn't world class then who is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Arron Lennon = Terry Phelan. Could outrun a cheeta, but thats it. Has little or no skill, and top class defenders have always loved playing against him. Anybody would look good when running at Jonathan Spector, or Tal Ben Haim

Gtfo. First half of this season, Lennon put all that cynicism to rest and was far and away the outstanding RMF. On his day, wreaks havoc in any defence, just needs to be given licence and the confidence to take players on, this is stifled when Johnson is not behind him.

I'm not saying he's world class, I'm saying he can cross and he has scored big game goals (f*cked up Chelsea's 'World class' defence).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Wow! Great to see Milner playing, If he has a good game then England will do well. Shocking to see Barry in there, he was so bad in their last outing.

I'm still rooting for Germany though, they are pleasant to watch and make the comp interesting, unlike England.

Stekelly wrote: »
    :D

If only Lampard and Gerrard had ever played (and played well) against the top Premiership teams aswell as in the Champions league and internationally we would have a response to your post, but alas no............

How does where his mind is (he was great against Slovenia btw) or how he's playing at the WC change whether he is world class or not? You dont dip in and out of beign a world class player. Based on his career performance Terry is a world class player.

Chelsea were the only top class team in the Premiership this season. So if you wish to judge Lampard against himself, then go ahead. Man Utd were very poor, while Liverpool were not close to top class. Equally, Gerrard was not influential in the Champions League this season. As internationals neither of them have really thrived, and have ALWAYS been found out on the international stage. Since Paul Scholes left the international scene, England's midfied has been worse off. However, if I agree to conceed that I was over zealous in my criticism, perhaps you will conceed that they are incompatable on the playing field, and as such should never be paired together.

Slovenia are no yeardstick. The English press used the game against an ordinary team to suggest that they are back in with a shout at the World Cup.

What the hell is wrong with Alan Hansen? They're going on like England were world class against Slovenia. Slovenia ffs!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Don't turn on SSN anyone.... The shite they're spouting out

• Advertisement

Chelsea were the only top class team in the Premiership this season. So if you wish to judge Lampard against himself, then go ahead. Man Utd were very poor, while Liverpool were not close to top class. Equally, Gerrard was not influential in the Champions League this season. As internationals neither of them have really thrived, and have ALWAYS been found out on the international stage. Since Paul Scholes left the international scene, England's midfied has been worse off. However, if I agree to conceed that I was over zealous in my criticism, perhaps you will conceed that they are incompatable on the playing field, and as such should never be paired together.

Have Gerrard and Lampard only played 1 season?
    As the saying goes : form is temporary, class is permenant.

Sure if we are judging thigns based on one season or competition then Italy are one of the world sworst teams and New Zealand should be amongst the favourites come the next WC.

perhaps you will conceed that they are incompatable on the playing field, and as such should never be paired together..

Whether or not they are incompatible playing together has no bearign on whether either are world class players.

As it is I dotn think they are incompatible, my view is that they havnt been used properly together over the years.

They've written off Germany already

Kold wrote: »
    Gtfo. First half of this season, Lennon put all that cynicism to rest and was far and away the outstanding RMF. On his day, wreaks havoc in any defence, just needs to be given licence and the confidence to take players on, this is stifled when Johnson is not behind him.

I'm not saying he's world class, I'm saying he can cross and he has scored big game goals (f*cked up Chelsea's 'World class' defence).

Alan McGloughlin, Jason McAteer both scored big game goals, but neither will ever be involved in Irelands 11. Lennon looks good in a weak league. Last season was exciting, however, the standard was poor. This is exemplified by the poor state of Man City, the rut that Liverpool ended up in, and the fact that West Ham, Wigan, Wolves and Bolton all managed to stay up with less then 40 points. While I conceed on the Chelsea point, I would ask you to identify his consistency against top quality opposition.

The lads on BBC never say anything against the grain. Probably reading off cue cards.

G'wan Hansen, say England are shíte, I dare ya !

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with Alan Hansen? They're going on like England were world class against Slovenia. Slovenia ffs!!!!
    Why do people only hear what they want to here?

He clearly said that England were good against Slovenia but NOT GREAT.

WTF did you hear? I'd like to know.

Have Gerrard and Lampard only played 1 season?
    As the saying goes : form is temporary, class is permenant.

Sure if we are judging thigns based on one season or competition then Italy are one of the world sworst teams and New Zealand should be amongst the favourites come the next WC.

I dont know where you are getting the New Zealnd thing from.

As I have said, Lampard and Gerrard have played in a weak league but for all of about three seasons of their career. Internationally, Lampard has never been influential enough to be catagorised as World Class. Gerrard would be more in line with the World Class Tag, however, his influence has always been limited.

While I may be wrongly disputing the tag world class, I just feel it is less applicable to many of the English players given the impoverished nature of the league.

• Advertisement

As I have said, Lampard and Gerrard have played in a weak league but for all of about three seasons of their career. Internationally, Lampard has never been influential enough to be catagorised as World Class. Gerrard would be more in line with the World Class Tag, however, his influence has always been limited.

While I may be wrongly disputing the tag world class, I just feel it is less applicable to many of the English players given the impoverished nature of the league.

If the Premiership is such a weak league yet is producing teams consistanly at the top tier of European football, what does that say about the rest of football?

Maybe, just maybe it's actually quite a good league and on par with other top leagues?

If Gerrard and Lampard can be judged on a snapshot, why not New Zealand?

Is it because it would be a stupid way to judge New Zealand but it fits your arguement for the other 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Degag wrote: »
    Don't turn on SSN anyone.... The shite they're spouting out

i didnt turn on that station all day just to avoid that crap

If Gerrard and Lampard can be judged on a snapshot, why not New Zealand?

Is it because it would be a stupid way to judge New Zealand but it fits your arguement for the other 2?

New Zealand drew three games. There is nothing ground-breaking about that. Particularly against the likes of Paraguay and Slovakia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Only 10 minutes till Bill, John and Eamo put things in perspective lads!

Amazing how you could be looking forward to it so much!

• Advertisement
Advertisement