Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year summer results!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

I did **** in mine, compared to previous exams. I had a lot of personal stuff going on the weeks during and previous the exams though. No excuse but still.

All HL bar Irish

Maths - 66% (Was the highest in class, he set a rediculously hard test, incl. questions from Linear Transformation and other stuff we haven't done! Still upset, maths is what I wanna do in later life)
    English - 61% - Didn't study, don't really care lol
    Irish - 79% (OL) - Was delighted with it, 2nd highest in class
    German - 85% - Again delighted, highest
    Physics - 77% - Not my best work
    Chemistry - 77% - As above, we had class tests counting for summer too, I failed one (I got Avagadro's Constant confused with Newton's Gravitational Constant, I kept writing 6.7x10^23!!! :()
    Music - 75% - Highest in class, and i lost marks for not doing a practical too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

mine were pretty good
    i studied well and it payed off

Irish(OL)- 72% quite surprised as it is my worst subject
    English(HL)-79% (ugh just 1% away from a B1
    Maths(OL)-74%
    History(HL)-75%
    French(HL)-95% and it was a challenging, best subject, always get As, hope to get around the same in the real LC
    Accounting(HL)-55%
    Business(HL)-77%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Didn't do that well this summer (For the points I need anyway)

Maths 59% C2 (Absolutely gutted)
    Irish 58% C3
    English B1 (Oddly enough the percentage wasn't on the results sheet)
    Biology 95% A1
    Chemistry 96% A1
    Engineering 96% A1

Taking up business for sixth year, aiming for around 550 points so i'm nearing my target I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CosmicCrusader

Mine went great! :D
    My maths teacher gave us a rock hard exam! Was convinced I failed and ended up getting a B1 :D
    Eh, our teachers all tell to add up our points on all our exams in 5th year 'cause apparently they're usually very close to what you'll actually get if you continue working as you are. It added up to 560 for me! Was shocked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 turbanfever

Mine went great! :D
    My maths teacher gave us a rock hard exam! Was convinced I failed and ended up getting a B1 :D
    Eh, our teachers all tell to add up our points on all our exams in 5th year 'cause apparently they're usually very close to what you'll actually get if you continue working as you are. It added up to 560 for me! Was shocked!

Hey i got the same points as you! and i also got a B1 in maths!! which i was not expecting! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CosmicCrusader

Hey i got the same points as you! and i also got a B1 in maths!! which i was not expecting! :D

Well done mate! :D
    Our maths exam was a right b***h! I was actually convinced I failed or just scraped a pass at best. I'm good at maths, I'm in honours and I love it! But god it was so hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I did fairly terrible.
    Irish-Ordinary-D2
    English-Higher-F
    Maths-Ordinary-C3
    French-Higher-F
    History-Higher-F
    Business-Higher-E
    Art-Higher-F
    LCVP-Common-Pass

Ah well, basket-making is always an option.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭gaeilge-abú

counted my points up!! :D got 565 counting english(which will be my 7th subject) because i do accounting outside of school and didnt do a test!! delighted!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gazzacarroll

5th year summer tests in reality are only bit parts of the LC. My advice is to not dwell on them too much. They are unreliable to be predicting future results as you may get a test you find easy or difficult on them future.

I got in terms of points:

x-mas 5th year: 530
    summer 5th year: 500
    x-mass 6th year: 480
    mocks : 390 :P

see where this is goin :P haha

and LC 525 :)

seriously dont dwell on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

God I feel stupid looking at these results....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 turbanfever

God I feel stupid looking at these results....

there's no need to! You know yourself 5th yr summer tests arent everything. I know people say that what you do in 5th year matters (and it does in a way) but at the same time theres people all over the country who bring their grades from a D in the mocks to an A1 in the LC from dedication and hard work! Chin up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

just remember the hints your teachers give you for the summer tests are always gonna be right... because he/she is the one setting the paper... your hints in the leavin are much more abstract...

don't even look at the 5th year results after you get them.. they mean nothin tbh... it's the year of work next year and next summer's results that actually matter..

don't look too deeply into them or your either setting the standard for yourself too low or setting yourself up for a huge fall..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Was very happy with mine, works out to the big 600. :D But I don't trust 2 of those teacher's marking so it'd be a bit lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Irish (H) - 27% [E]
    English (H) - 76% [B2]
    Maths (O) - 96% [A]
    Geography (H) - 72% [B3]
    French (H) - 50% [D1]
    Economics (H) - 43% [D3]
    Business (H) - 51% [D1]
    LCVP - 89% Merit

Needless to say I'll be doing pass Irish for my Leaving next year. No disrespect to any avid Irish language fans here, but I ahte it so much. Dreaded every single class last year and my highest mark in all my class tests was a whopping 72% :rolleyes:

Disappointed with Business though. Should be capable of pushing my French up to a C.

Was very happy with mine, works out to the big 600. :D But I don't trust 2 of those teacher's marking so it'd be a bit lower.

wow! congrats! :D what subjects do you do? what you hoping to do in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

here are my results! :D

English-82%-B1
    Irish-92%-A1
    Maths-90%-A1
    French-87%-A2
    Business-94%-A1
    Biology-85%-A2

( i do Accounting outside of school)

-all higher level and thats without the bonus marks for irish 'cause i do all my subjects through Irish!

*Claps*

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Cant remember most but got 77% in Maths (Higher) so happy enough with that considring we were given no hints and had 2 full past pre-papers to do. Got 80% in english higher 78 and 79 in Construction and Engineering respectivly so im happy enough with them for my own standards. Done poor in Physics though (low 50s) so something to work on as I like Physics. Irish and French scraped passes but dont intend on counting them for points. All honours except Irish.

wow! congrats! :D what subjects do you do? what you hoping to do in college?

Chemistry, French, DCG and Physics. I'm basically neglecting Irish at this stage, much to my mother's dismay. :o And I'm teaching myself Applied Maths.

Still not sure what I want to do. :p Might do physics...

Chemistry, French, DCG and Physics. I'm basically neglecting Irish at this stage, much to my mother's dismay. :o And I'm teaching myself Applied Maths.

Still not sure what I want to do. :p Might do physics...

don't neglect irish!! sure you got an A1 in it in your summer exams?:eek: its eeeeeeeeeeeeeasy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Got mine today. Pretty happy, just thought I'd share it with the world haha.

English-A2
    Maths-A2
    History-A2
    Business-A1
    Physics-A1
    French-B1
    Irish-C1

Got 555 in total which is pretty good, hope I keep it up haha.

Oddly there was no percentages, which they usually include.

All higher level and I teach myself applied maths outside school, so we'll see how that goes next year. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Cipango wrote: »
    Well for 5th yrs its not too important to study for summer tests like not much depends on them and this doesnt give any student incentive to "properly" study! Well i finished my leaving today and i feel i did very well.

In my 5th year summer tests i got:
    • ENGLISH - D3
    • ECONOMICS - D2
    • MATHS - A1
    • PHYSICS - E1
    • SPANISH - B2
    • GEOGRAPHY - B2
    • IRISH - E1

In my mocks i got
    • ENGLISH - C1
    • ECONOMICS - C1
    • MATHS - C1
    • PHYSICS - D3
    • SPANISH - B1
    • GEOGRAPHY - C3
    • IRISH - D2

And now i feel i got the following grades in my leaving:
    • ENGLISH - B2
    • ECONOMICS - A2
    • MATHS - B2
    • PHYSICS - C3
    • SPANISH - B1-A2
    • GEOGRAPHY - B1-A2
    • IRISH - C3

My point anyway is that i wasnt the dedicated type until i went into sixth year. I applied to UCAS (English CAO) and they give you a list of grades and i was faced with pretty high grades to achieve in order to get my course so i studied so so so hard! Woke up at 4am every morning during my exams to get that extra cramming in and it seemed to have worked!

Fifth years, people will say to you that you should have studied in fifth year but the truth is contrary to what people get in their summer tests i think that to start in sixth year is ok but try to avail of revision courses and decent revision books.

Good luck next year fifth years, trust me....ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!!!!

You think your gonna jump from a C1 in English to a B2? LOL...well I hope ya do but don't get too confident. English study is hard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    You think your gonna jump from a C1 in English to a B2? LOL...well I hope ya do but don't get too confident. English study is hard!!
    Ehh...2 grades is definetly a manageable increase from the period between the mocks to the exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If you have the right attitude about the subject than it isn't that hard. If you have a terrible attitude then it is a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

Well got 68% in the mock and a B2 is 75-79%. 8%!! Not massive and is well below the average increase from mocks to the real thing. VERY REALISTIC IMO!

My teacher even thinks I could get a B1. And English study is simple! There's just so so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Cipango wrote: »
    Well got 68% in the mock and a B2 is 75-79%. 8%!! Not massive and is well below the average increase from mocks to the real thing. VERY REALISTIC IMO!

My teacher even thinks I could get a B1. And English study is simple! There's just so so much!

Oh well that seems realistic. But on the day even the smallest of change in the questions could throw ya off. Like I studied King Lear for Honors and some question about good v evil came up even though we didn't study it much. Had to improvise. Well good luck to you mate. When your doing your LC I'l be sitting on me hole drawing the job seekers. Free money ftw!

don't neglect irish!! sure you got an A1 in it in your summer exams?:eek: its eeeeeeeeeeeeeasy! :D

Nah I got a B, but our teacher grossly overgrades our papers anyway. :mad:

I'm just not good enough at it to bother putting in the work to get a B something. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I neglected Irish because I did OL and had other subjects to focus on. Just put a bit of work into the Oral and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

I got an A or B in the 6 subjects I need for points so fingers crossed for 600 next year.

I skipped the Irish exam and I'm now dropping to pass, so I can put a real focus on the 6 most important subjects: Maths, English, French, Music, Physics and Economics.

I got 93% in Physics but only because the other class had their exam the day before and there was no way my teacher was going to make a second paper. I just got the questions and had the answers learnt off by heart by the next day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jack Leahy

higgz wrote: »
    I got an A or B in the 6 subjects I need for points so fingers crossed for 600 next year.

I skipped the Irish exam and I'm now dropping to pass, so I can put a real focus on the 6 most important subjects: Maths, English, French, Music, Physics and Economics.

I got 93% in Physics but only because the other class had their exam the day before and there was no way my teacher was going to make a second paper. I just got the questions and had the answers learnt off by heart by the next day :D

I hope by saying the 'six most important subjects' you're not getting all high and mighty now...

But I agree with your 6 subject method. I concentrated on all 8 honours in 5th Year Christmas and summer and got 510/495, then dropped to ordinary maths and gave up on physics and did much better in christmas and the mocks, 520/540

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Jack Leahy wrote: »
    I hope by saying the 'six most important subjects' you're not getting all high and mighty now...

But I agree with your 6 subject method. I concentrated on all 8 honours in 5th Year Christmas and summer and got 510/495, then dropped to ordinary maths and gave up on physics and did much better in christmas and the mocks, 520/540

Well, truth be told I've despised Irish since first year :)

Advertisement