Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching- help

Options
  • 23-06-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I am hoping for some advice. I am 25 years old and I am thinking of a career change. I have my degree in Busness from 4 years studying in college.I am curently employed with good salary and job ut i think i need to change. Heres my problem:

I would like to do teaching now, but i dont have honours Irish and my degree I got was a pass, however my cert and diploma are 2.2 merits.

IF I had to go to england to train i would as i am young and would go for it. have you any feedback on what I coud do? x

Comments

Try teaching and lecturing rather than Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

i dont have honours Irish

Why not go back and do Leaving Cert Honours Irish first and see how you get on. If you can't get an honour in it in the Leaving you shouldn't be teaching it to anyone IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

forumfiend wrote: »
    If you can't get an honour in it in the Leaving you shouldn't be teaching it to anyone IMHO.

Yeah, Irish is so relavant to every subject bar Irish.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Yeah, Irish is so relavant to every subject bar Irish.

It's no harm to be able to spell either :D

Like it or not, Irish is a big part of the primary curriculum and primary teachers have to teach it. I don't see how they can do that successfully if they haven't achieved Leaving Cert Honours standard in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Why not go back and do Leaving Cert Honours Irish first and see how you get on. If you can't get an honour in it in the Leaving you shouldn't be teaching it to anyone IMHO.

ridiculous statement
    It's no harm to be able to spell either :D

Like it or not, Irish is a big part of the primary curriculum and primary teachers have to teach it. I don't see how they can do that successfully if they haven't achieved Leaving Cert Honours standard in it.

Ordinary level irish is more then enough to teach irish at primary school,its a very basic level thats thought there anyway

• Advertisement

Tomebagel wrote: »
    ridiculous statement

Ordinary level irish is more then enough to teach irish at primary school,its a very basic level thats thought there anyway

I presume you mean "taught".

What's ridiculous about expecting teachers to have a good understanding of the subject matter they are teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ye can argue all you like about what should be. What matters is what is.

My understanding is that LC Irish is a requirement for any teaching job (and many other govt jobs) in Ireland.

They make some short term exemptions for foreign-trained teachers (you have X - maybe 5? - years to pass an equivalent level exam). So, OP if you want to teach in Ireland, then the advice to sort Irish out first is right. If you're happy to emigrate, the UK sounds like a good bet.

And if you want to teach early childhood, you should very carefully research what qualifications are acceptable in countries that you might want to travel to. Some places don't rate Montessori quals very highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP already has copy threads in Teaching and in Primary.
    That'll do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement