Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tim Cahill for Ireland

• 23-06-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭

mentioned on RTE a min ago ....

apparrently Tim Cahill of Austrailia qualifies for Ireland .... !!! if so, why wasnt this investigated in the past and why isnt he invited to play ?

he's not a bad player - would do quite well in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

PCPhoto wrote: »

apparrently Tim Cahill of Austrailia qualifies for Ireland .... !!! if so, why wasnt this investigated in the past and why isnt he invited to play ?

Surely if he's capped a senior international level for Australia, he cannot be capped for another country? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah why would he want to play for Australia!? It's not like they're ever getting to a world cup.... oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Would the fact that he's played an arse load of games for Australia not be a problem? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe he rated Australia higher, maybe he wanted to remain true to his country? (I realise some Irish might have a problem understsanding that concept in Plastics)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

He wanted to play for us before but McCarthy wouldn't select irrc. Amaizng really.

Not a bad player? He's fecking quality. One the best midfielders in the Premiership.

• Advertisement

Don't think he means getting him to play now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

stoopid mccarthy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Has he been to Ireland before?

Only when he took the wrong ferry.

OPENROAD wrote: »

like most players that qualify .... he once watched a movie about ireland on tv !!

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »

Didn't they say he had an Irish passport. Do you need to be in the country to get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

In fairness, most people hadn't a breeze of who he was until his first season at Everton where if I'm not mistaken he has just started to play for Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2002/1820871.stm

Apparently he tried to play for Ireland during 2002 but FIFA didn't let him because he made two appearances for Samoa during qualifiers for the u-20 World Cup when he was only 14.

Big pity we couldn't get him. Quality player

Apparently he tried to play for Ireland during 2002 but FIFA didn't let him because he made two appearances for Samoa during qualifiers for the u-20 World Cup when he was only 14.

A midfield of him and Keano(before he left) would have been quality.

and he almost took legal action against FIFA over it.

from Wiki:
    In 2002, Cahill expressed desire to play for Mick McCarthy's Republic of Ireland 2002 World Cup team, and even considered taking legal action against FIFA for the association's refusal to allow his change of nationality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would been great for us but this been done to death at this stage.

PCPhoto, now you mention the case I remember it. He did want to sell out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Obviously you never played Football manager! You just open FM Editor change his nationality to Irish and voila! Wayne Rooney and Tim Cahill are our new strikeforce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

and he almost took legal action against FIFA over it.

from Wiki:

Not being picky but that's what the article is about.

Would have been a great midfield alright with him and Keane. Tough as ****ing nails. Would have knocked the shite out of anyone and he can play as well. One of the best headers of a ball I've ever seen especially for such a small man.

Didn't they say he had an Irish passport. Do you need to be in the country to get one?

Didn't know he held an Irish passport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

:cool: I dont think he would have 'fit' in to Traps formation and style :cool:

JIMMT IOVINE : i just wiki'd tim cahill ... so the article is about tim cahill. :) .... his life, career (to date)

yeah... him and keane ...or at least when keane left he would have been able to do the job and could have assisted in further qualifications in recent years.

:cool: I dont think he would have 'fit' in to Traps formation and style :cool:

Nah, tbf Cahill is a worker. I reckon our team would be built around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

This has been well known for a long time. Hardly surprising with his second name. He turned it down because he wanted to play for Australia. Not everyone wants to play for Ireland, you know!:rolleyes:

I remember way back before he made his first senior cap he nearly had to play for Samoa as he had played in their youth teams. But he was allowed play for Australia. He made it clear later on he didn't want to play for Ireland, although he wanted to play the 2002 world cup but changed his mind afterward. Considering Australia qualified for the last two world cups he made the right decision; although we might have qualified for more with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

Aghh he was never serious about Ireland. He expressed interest and never bothered his hole taking legal action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

mike65 wrote: »
    Maybe he rated Australia higher, maybe he wanted to remain true to his country? (I realise some Irish might have a problem understsanding that concept in Plastics)

What about Hargreaves? Or half of the English cricket team? Not just Irish who might have a problem understanding the concept.

carlop wrote: »
    What about Hargreaves? Or half of the English cricket team? Not just Irish who might have a problem understanding the concept.

Just play for whatever country you want imo

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Mike is English or at least supports them. He couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't play for their all star side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

DB10 wrote: »
    Mike is English or at least supports them. He couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't play for their all star side.

Yeah I know he's English, hence the reference to the English cricket side. I didn't really mean it as a dig at him or England.

I just think having a go at Ireland for having players that may not be technically that Irish is a bit obsolete, given that the majority of international teams have started to do the same.

Camoranesi and Amauri with Italy, Eduardo with Croatia and a good few of the German team spring to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

A midfield of him and Keano(before he left) would have been quality.

Cahil was not the player he is now back in 2002.

Yeah I know he's English, hence the reference to the English cricket side. I didn't really mean it as a dig at him or England.

I just think having a go at Ireland for having players that may not be technically that Irish is a bit obsolete, given that the majority of international teams have started to do the same.

Camoranesi and Amauri with Italy, Eduardo with Croatia and a good few of the German team spring to mind.

Yeah I agree it is obselete. And it only seems to be remembered by those criticising the Irish team, as foreign players playing for different countries to their birth seem to go unnoticed. Even George Hamilton said after Klose scored that he'd probably been a child dreaming about filling the same boots and jersey as Gerd Muller, but considering Klose is Polish I highly doubt that he figured himself in a German jersey.

Also as has been said, so many players don't play for their country of birth, sure look at Higuain, Liedson, Deco etc and not much is said about it, so I agree, the "having a go" at non-Irish players is a bit dated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Most international sporting teams have at least one person who was not born in their country.
    Cahill was never a serious option for Ireland as far as I am aware. Would have been great to have in the squad now but I doubt he regrets sticking with Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Yeah I agree it is obselete. And it only seems to be remembered by those criticising the Irish team, as foreign players playing for different countries to their birth seem to go unnoticed. Even George Hamilton said after Klose scored that he'd probably been a child dreaming about filling the same boots and jersey as Gerd Muller, but considering Klose is Polish I highly doubt that he figured himself in a German jersey.

Also as has been said, so many players don't play for their country of birth, sure look at Higuain, Liedson, Deco etc and not much is said about it, so I agree, the "having a go" at non-Irish players is a bit dated.

Although you have a valid point, I disagree with using Klose and especially Higuain as examples. Klose was born to a German father playing "professional" football in Poland at the time and moved to Germany when he was 7. He mightn't have idolised Gerd Müller, more likely Rudi Völler and Jürgen Klinsmann.

As for Higuain, he was only born in France because his father was playing football there for one season. They moved back to Argentina the next year.

An Citeog wrote: »
    Although you have a valid point, I disagree with using Klose and especially Higuain as examples. Klose was born to a German father playing "professional" football in Poland at the time and moved to Germany when he was 7. He mightn't have idolised Gerd Müller, more likely Rudi Völler and Jürgen Klinsmann.

As for Higuain, he was only born in France because his father was playing football there for one season. They moved back to Argentina the next year.

I didn't know that about Klose so I stand corrected on that. But as far as Higuain goes he refused to rule himself out of the French team for a very long time, even going as far as to welcome Domenechs interest in him.

My point though isn't that these guys should or shouldn't have declared for whatever country, its just that nothing much is said of it at all, whereas the English-born Irish lads get the "plastic-paddy" treatment.

I didn't know that about Klose so I stand corrected on that. But as far as Higuain goes he refused to rule himself out of the French team for a very long time, even going as far as to welcome Domenechs interest in him.

My point though isn't that these guys should or shouldn't have declared for whatever country, its just that nothing much is said of it at all, whereas the English-born Irish lads get the "plastic-paddy" treatment.

I can see some people getting upset in years to come if someone born here of immigrant parents/grandparents don't declare for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Just to go slightly off topic... are we pronouncing it Cahill like every other Cahill in Ireland (Des Cahill) or are we pronouncing it the way we're told to... Cayhill (Gary Cahill)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

They got better foreign players to play for them, we got Clinton Morrison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The hilarity of this post reminds me of something that was printed in the reader's letters section of Shoot or Match magazine many moons ago.

"What does David Ginola have to do to get in the England squad? The Euros are coming up and he's better than our 2 best wingers put together.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Just to go slightly off topic... are we pronouncing it Cahill like every other Cahill in Ireland (Des Cahill) or are we pronouncing it the way we're told to... Cayhill (Gary Cahill)

I've only ever heard him pronounce it Cayhill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Better chance of playing in the WC with Australia than Ireland TBF and as is proved over the last 2 WC's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement