Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon v Canon

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Hope you don't let these clowns put you off. Some people just like to see their own ideas in text on the screen.

Personally, I went for Canon rather than Nikon for the following reasons:

More people seemed to have Canon so there were more people with experience of them and therefore more people to learn from on the internet.
    More of the magazines seemed to be about Canon.
    I found it easier to get to grips with the model numbers of Canon so it was easier to tell which one was in which bracket.
    Before buying the Canon I had a Nikon coolpix and thought the software was terrible so I had a bad impression of Nikon software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Promac wrote: »
    Hope you don't let these clowns put you off. Some people just like to see their own ideas in text on the screen.

... and with that, the thread that had impressed me with the maturity of its responses ceased to do so anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use Canon and made that choice due to (at the time) they were the best at handling high ISO, things change but I still like the look of the Canon shots but the feel of the Nikon cameras and standard equipment (of the prosumer models) is very good.

charybdis wrote: »
    ... and with that, the thread that had impressed me with the maturity of its responses ceased to do so anymore.

Here we go again. Grow up man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Nikon v Canon
    Which is the best brand overall?
    I never could understand the taboo associated with this question.

The typical responses are:

1. The "They're both great" (Diplomacy 101) response

2. "I'm pleased with the number of sensible responses" response

3. "Oh no, not another Nikon v Canon debate" sceptics response

4. "I'm going to get píssy because someone said something bad about the brand that I own" response

5. "I just can't understand what the problem is with this question" response i.e. the one I'm typing now

Usually the one you own is the better brand.

The only solution is to buy one of each. I own Canons and Nikons and they're both luvely jubley. But I would avoid one those more modern Nikons (D40, D50, D60?) that only work with certain lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

jpb1974 wrote: »
    The only solution is to buy one of each. I own Canon's and Nikon's and they're both luvely jubley. But I would avoid one those more modern Nikons (D40, D50, D60?) that only work with certain lenses.

The D50 has the AF motor in the body, so will work with any of the lenses... was removed on the D40 when that replaced the D50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The only solution is to buy one of each. I own Canon's and Nikon's and they're both luvely jubley. But I would avoid one those more modern Nikons (D40, D50, D60?) that only work with certain lenses.

aaaargh
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66568918&postcount=15

Though in the main, I agree. The more cameras the better. When you have to start dividing up your press so you have one shelf for 35mm bodies, one shelf for medium format, and a third shelf for polaroids, large format, and various works in progress you're only beginning to have problems :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well Im new the whole DSLR game and am planing on getting me an entry level DSLR soon. So I have no real loyalty to any camp just yet.
    I was looking into canon EOS and asked my uncle ho is a photographer for years. He advised me to look at nikon, so I did.
    Anyway at the price point that I was looking at the Cannon seemed to be a lot better feature wise, so Id say ill go for a cannon.

Also just another thing I noticed, Every time I over the last 3 months when ever I saw a person out and about with with a DSLR I took note of what make his camer was. 8 out of 10 seemed to be cannon. Including a pro who was doing a photo shot for a mag.

you're only beginning to have problems :)

eBay is evil.

Lots of cameras and lenses is good.

Not enough time to use them all is bad.

I'm more worried about the backlog of un-developed film that I'm going to have to buy a press for :)

Pay day last Wednesday... all bills & mortgage paid... VOIGTLANDER BESSAFLEX TM ordered this morning... M42 mount... in sexy black.

• Advertisement

Pay day last Wednesday... all bills & mortgage paid... VOIGTLANDER BESSAFLEX TM ordered this morning... M42 mount... in sexy black.

goddamnit ! Completely OT, but Where did you get it and how much ? I've been watching fujicas on EBay for the last while because I want an M42 mount body. I'd more or less decided against the bessaflexes, they seem to command a fairly healthy premium nowadays.

It was expensive... £330 on eBay.co.uk... I also ordered a mint Spotmatic II with a Takumar 55mm f1.8... you know, as a backup to the Bessaflex... nothing to do with the fact that I'm a greedy bastid.

Just typing small cos I don't want too many people to know.

It was expensive... £330 on eBay.co.uk... I also ordered a mint Spotmatic II with a Takumar 55mm f1.8... you know, as a backup to the Bessaflex... nothing to do with the fact that I'm a greedy bastid.

Just typing small cos I don't want too many people to know.

yeesh. That is pretty expensive. Back to fujica watching I guess.
    Just for the sake on on-topicness, Canon are much better than Nikon if you want to mount and use M42 lenses with an adapter. The Nikon film->flange distance is about 1mm longer than the standard M42 one so you either have to get an adapter with a small corrective lens in it (which results in loss of image quality) or lose infinity focus. I think focus is overrated anyway, I went with option 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Anyway at the price point that I was looking at the Cannon seemed to be a lot better feature wise, so Id say ill go for a cannon.
    what sort of features? if you're just starting out, the sort of features a canon DSLR has which a nikon (or olympus or pentax, etc.) is missing are the sort of features you might not need.
    i.e. the common feature set is the set you need, and everything else is largely window dressing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think this video neatly explains why you should not worry too much about which you pick; it's a great watch anyway, even outside a photography context.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6127548813950043200#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Short story: Once upon a time there was only one God. Nikon.

But Nikon was not a generous God, in fact he was vengeful and jealous.

As the digital age loomed and a new God arose to threaten his power, Nikon did nothing for the expensive development of the new digital cameras, instead it wanted the new God, Kodak to make it's digital cameras for him.

The new God was having none of it and Nikon declared total war and set out to lay siege and destroy the upstart by developing his own digital camera and selling it very, very cheaply.

Problem was, as Nikon had put NOTHING into research, simply expecting to licence the new technology, their offering was total rubbish and soon every photographer was turning to the God of Dawn, Canon’s EOS who had licensed the technology from Kodak and adapted it to their own, very expensive camera, but it proved worth the money and for a long, long, time about seven years in reality, Canon made the best that ever was.

Unfortunately, Canon lost their ethos and began to make rubbish, confident in the knowledge that Nikon were dead and extinct along with their rival foe, Kodak. But like a striking Cobra, Nikon, quick to see the slothfulness of a very arrogant Super-God [Canon], struck back with the D3 and the world turned again.

So, from the D3 and anything after that by Nikon; Nikon = Superior. Anything BEFORE the D3 Canon = Much Superior.

Generally of course, The New Canon 550D is a very sweet camera and a match for anything Nikon has in the same class, if it can be compared. That’s another problem with Canon and Nikon, they don’t have exact matches in all classes and what rates as ‘professional’ in one is amateur in the other.

Class apart Nikon camera is the D300 series, Canon has nothing to touch them.

• Advertisement

Here we go again. Grow up man.

The ironing is delicious.
    gbee wrote: »
    Class apart Nikon camera is the D300 series, Canon has nothing to touch them.

I was under the impression that the 7D was considered a direct competitor to the D300 series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Dear God (at times I'm thankful I'm not part of this sillyness by having a Pentax),

OP the best advice I can give you is this:

Read reviews of the cameras that fall into the price category you mentioned. Don't just read one site but a few to try and build up a good idea of what general option, feature set, positve and negative points they have.

Ask yourself some questions. What type of photography do you want to take. What types of lenses will you need. How much are they, what are the reviews of these lenses like.

Go into a shop(s). Get the cameras in your hand, flick through the settings/menus and see which appeals to you.

At the end of the day you've asked peoples opinions and as you can see opinions divide people. The Canon/Nikon thing has raged for a long time and will continue to divide users for a good long time yet I'm sure. There is no one camera that is the best. Each has it's strong points and their weaknesses. The very best thing you can do is to arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible and make your own opinion. All the cameras on the market, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony etc are generally all fantastic and can take exceptional images. Which one you choose is down to you and you alone. No one can give you the right answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

No one can give you the right answer

Good man Kintaro.

/Close thread now pleeeeeeeease

/Close thread now pleeeeeeeease

Why though?

What's the big deal?

Where's the offence been caused?

What's the problem with talking about something that may have no concrete conclusion? Opinions must form about 80% of the posts here (all threads, not just this one).

Em...............its a ridiculous Q, its too open-ended, there is no answer.

/End of discussion

/Note to self: don't get involved, doh :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

But you'll get differing opinions in all of the usual suspects:

Which camera?
    Which lens?
    Which software?
    Which memory card?
    Which external hard-drive?
    Where to buy <insert item here>?
    Manual, AV or TV mode?
    RAW or JPG?
    How do you backup your photos?
    Should I do a course?
    Do you like HDR?
    etc.

This shouldn't really be any different.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Why though

same answers over and over
    What's the big deal?
    none really, repitition gets to some folk tho
    Where's the offence been caused?
    nowhere but it does grow somewhat thin after the first page

What's the problem with talking about something that may have no concrete conclusion? Opinions must form about 80% of the posts here (all threads, not just this one).

personal preference is all it is at the end of the day, that or jumping on ship when one was slightly ahead of the other... the opinions are all pretty similar too... really after a page or so the conversation runs its course.

I do like the smart ass comments and cheeky stabs tho:D

same answers over and over
    none really, repitition gets to some folk tho
    nowhere but it does grow somewhat thin after the first page
    the opinions are all pretty similar too... really after a page or so the conversation runs its course
    But these all apply to -

Which camera?
    Which lens?
    Which software?
    Which memory card?
    Which external hard-drive?
    Where to buy <insert item here>?
    Manual, AV or TV mode?
    RAW or JPG?
    How do you backup your photos?
    Should I do a course?
    Do you like HDR?
    etc.

And you'll get at least 2-3 of these at least once a week.

I mean at this stage "go to the shop and see what feels right in your hand" should be written into some form of Gospel surely?

Spot on jpb1974.
    NEVER ask any of those Q's either :D:p

Remember there is a FAQ there for newbies.

Spot on jpb1974.
    NEVER ask any of those Q's either :D:p

Heh, heh... Forum Ground Hog :p

The ironing is delicious.

Well aren't I just the juvenile for trying to prevent a newbie photographer from being discouraged by the likes of you?

You're not clever and not funny so just feck off.

As an exercise, do this:
    Go into the Golf forum and start a thread: Callaway v Titleist
    .......and see how you get on !!:eek:

I not into all this Brand v Brand stuff at all.

I'd rather just sit back, take my Adidas trainers off, enjoy my Double Whopper with cheese, sip on my Coca Cola and check my emails on my Windows XP PC.

I not into all this Brand v Brand stuff at all.

I'd rather just sit back, take my Adidas trainers off, enjoy my Double Whopper with cheese, sip on my Coca Cola and check my emails on my Windows XP PC.

An ould text on the iphone?

Nah... I use Nokia... much better.

• Advertisement

Well aren't I just the juvenile for trying to prevent a newbie photographer from being discouraged by the likes of you?

You're not clever and not funny so just feck off.

I don't know why you get into histrionics so easily. You tend to get awfully pissy awfully quickly in situations like this and that "car photography" debacle. Maybe you should stop being so adversarial and understand that just because someone has different opinions to you doesn't mean they're attacking you, and you certainly don't have to attack them.

guys, if you're going to argue, at least be interesting about it.

I don't know why you get into histrionics so easily. You tend to get awfully pissy awfully quickly in situations like this and that "car photography" debacle. Maybe you should stop being so adversarial and understand that just because someone has different opinions to you doesn't mean they're attacking you, and you certainly don't have to attack them.

No histrionics here - I just can't be bothered with your sh1te. You're picking me out of everyone else in the thread because it's me. You're out of line and as I said before - grow up or feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I was under the impression that the 7D was considered a direct competitor to the D300 series.

That's what Canon would like to think all right. :)

No histrionics here - I just can't be bothered with your sh1te. You're picking me out of everyone else in the thread because it's me. You're out of line and as I said before - grow up or feck off.

I'm being very reasonable about this. I'm not "picking [you] out of everyone else in the thread because it's [you]". I wouldn't consider anything I've done to be "out of line". You, on the other hand, have suggested I'm a "clown" and that I "just like to see [my] own ideas in text on the screen" without any sort of provocation, or anything relating to you, in retaliation to my dispensing of useful advice to a new forum member. You have also engaged in theatrical dismissals of others in the past and although your efforts above are far from the worst I've seen from you, they still belie your unpleasant tendency to engage in melodramatics in an attempt to misrepresent your supposed opponent's argument.

As I've said before: stop doing it.

This settles it -

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1006/10061402nikoniss.asp

Either Nikon is better or it fits in the spaceman's glove better?

(The Canon/Nikon debate, not the other píssy argy bargy that's going on in this thread)

blah blah

Since being plain rude doesn't work - try this:

This is not the place for this crap - it's hijacking someone else's thread. If you have a problem with me then PM me with it - even better, PM a mod with it. Otherwise - leave it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Ok so we've all had our fun in the great neverending debate of which is better. thread has been locked because it's getting out of hand.

I'm going to point the OP towards the FAQ Thread to read. There is some pretty interesting reading there.

Also advice to the user whether you decide to buy your camera online or from a Bricks & mortar shop I'd advise you go and physical handle both cameras and see which one you like best.

That is all please move on...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement